Epic F**K up, Now what?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear it...and of course no one has ever dropped anything in an engine before, ya know, like dropping a razorblade down into an airplane engine while scraping off an old gasket when replacing the angle starter adapter, oh no never. :russian_roulette:

If you do end up having to remove the sump pan, you can get the headers off without removing the radiator fully. You'll still need to drain the coolant and disconnect the lower hoses, but then after removing the lower bracket bolt the rad will tilt forward plenty enough to get an allen wrench on the header nuts. You will be able to re-use the gaskets between the pipes and the head, but may need new ones at the joint to the exhaust cans, if you break that joint. And of course you'll need a new pan gasket.

Good luck with the magnet on a stick. It might help if you drain the oil while you are fishing. Like all fishing expeditions, patience is your ally.

Are you certain it went in the motor? I've dropped things and thought it went one way only to find it somewhere else. Check between the frame, body, exhaust, etc, with the magnet.

When it comes to fishing with magnets do like Bust and poke that sucker in all the nooks and valleys you can get it in. In your pic it looks like there might be a valley under the crankshaft in front of the clutch basket to root around in, maybe under the gear behind it.

Good luck,

IMAG0291.jpg
Using your own picture, here's where it probably went.....

case1.jpg

Right past the crankshaft, right into the oil pan. From the parts fiche.....

case2.jpg

The top red arrow corresponds with the the yellow arrow from the first picture, just from a different angle, and the lower red arrow is probably where it went.

Do NOT rotate the engine, as FJRBluesman opined. Don't want to possibly get that wrench hung up in anything. Lots of 'spensive rotating parts in there.

Do a VERY intensive search around the bike, on top of the catalytic converter, EVERYWHERE, you can, hoping to find the wrench elsewhere. IF no luck, THEN take the pan off and it will (hopefully) be there.

Best of luck!

case1.jpg

case2.jpg

The top red arrow corresponds with the the yellow arrow from the first picture, just from a different angle, and the lower red arrow is probably where it went.

Do NOT rotate the engine, as FJRBluesman opined. Don't want to possibly get that wrench hung up in anything. Lots of 'spensive rotating parts in there.

Do a VERY intensive search around the bike, on top of the catalytic converter, EVERYWHERE, you can, hoping to find the wrench elsewhere. IF no luck, THEN take the pan off and it will (hopefully) be there.

Best of luck!
I can't tell from looking at the fiche, but IF it went under the clutch and NOT down by the crankshaft? I had the area indicated by the arrows blocked off pretty well, it was the area under the clutch that was more open so where does that go?

It might be worth investing in a boroscope. There are some reasonably cheap USB versions available like this one The link is to two reviews which seem to indicate it would work. I'm sure they would also be available on the US site :rolleyes:

Good luck with it

Don

Are you certain it went in the motor? I've dropped things and thought it went one way only to find it somewhere else. Check between the frame, body, exhaust, etc, with the magnet.

Good luck,
Gunny allrider. I started to think if it's definetly not on the garage floor in some strange corner partying with some dust bunnies.... Are you absolutely sure it went into the motor and not some place else on the exterior of the motor/frame? Then my next fear was what you have down below....

case1.jpg

case2.jpg

Best of luck!
I can't tell from looking at the fiche, but IF it went under the clutch and NOT down by the crankshaft? I had the area indicated by the arrows blocked off pretty well, it was the area under the clutch that was more open so where does that go?
God forbid it went into the transmission. :dribble: Do you know for sure which cavern it went into? If the crank area was covered well, then.....
I would think the tranny would be an even nastier job than the pan. Again I'd have to defer to Dr. Frankenstein (Radio Howie) et al, that have tore into this area. Not sure any side covers would give minor access, and tolerances are even closer in the tranny, not much room to hide there. That being said it's quite possible the thing is sitting near the top on top of some gears, cogs, dogs, etc. May have to pull the clutch to get better access but that could do it. I would think a long part like your wrench going into the tranny could not get too far, not much room there, but yeah never know.

You may have to just pick a scenario and start going on that direction. I would also agree to try again with a magnet with a fresh mind and patience. Although, you don't want to knock the wrench lower into the motor cause you couldn't see etc.

Good luck SF, keep us posted.

I think I just have to accept that I'm completely screwed. Pulling the motor is beyond my capabilities; probably the understatement of the year considering how bad I fucked this up. I think my only option is a desperate call to the Yamaha dealer and the enormous fucking bill that's going to come with it. I've pretty much accepted the monetary penalty this is going to cost me; I'm willing to pay for my mistake - I just want it fixed.

At this point my concerns are that I'm supposed to be leaving on a week-long trip on June 19th and 2) my innate distrust of dealer service dept/mechanics. I've had some pretty minor jobs done at dealerships where not only was the attention to detail very poor but they gouged me on the price. My imagination is running wild with all sorts of worst-case scenarios in which I see the dealer spending hours and hours but never finding the wrench at all (that has to be irrational right? it's in there SOMEWHERE,) or finding it and screwing something up on re-assembly, etc.

Times like this I wish I was more of an optimist. I would love to be envisioning instead that they have a camera they could stick in there and find it pretty easily, or that it would just be an easy job of pulling the oil pan and getting it out.......

Because, really, the major stressing out I'm doing right now isn't helping anything.

I guess the good news is that if they have to pull the motor, I could have them put the stupid new CCT in.

As long as you feel you're screwed and they are going to put it back together anyways, you have nothing to lose by removing the pan and seeing if you are a lucky one. Could save big $$.

Don't be so hasty. Patience is your friend. Keep fishing around.

If the damn thing went down in there you should be able to bring it back out the same way it went in, but you'll need to be patient and not freak out.

But definitely check everywhere else around the bike to be sure it isn't hiding elsewhere.

This will be difficult for you right now, but trust me..

* B R E A T H E *

* T H I N K *

* LET A DAY OR TWO SLIDE BY *

Buy the endoscope. Look and see what you can find.

Try Richard's magnet idea through alum pan.

Then, get on your backside, drop the oil pan. Not that hard, really.

Another moment of trust me is in order - the dealer really can screw the pooch worse than what your accident has. Take sometime and see if you can remedy the issue, then find a good dealer / tech if needed. FjRay is one such man, and he's on this forum. I'd rather ship my complete bike to Ray and have him do all the work rather than chance an unkown tech at a known low level dealer.

My .02, good luck!

This will be difficult for you right now, but trust me..

* B R E A T H E *

* T H I N K *

* LET A DAY OR TWO SLIDE BY *

Buy the endoscope. Look and see what you can find.

Try Richard's magnet idea through alum pan.

Then, get on your backside, drop the oil pan. Not that hard, really.

Another moment of trust me is in order - the dealer really can screw the pooch worse than what your accident has. Take sometime and see if you can remedy the issue, then find a good dealer / tech if needed. FjRay is one such man, and he's on this forum. I'd rather ship my complete bike to Ray and have him do all the work rather than chance an unkown tech at a known low level dealer.

My .02, good luck!
Good post!

Don't give up on the magnet tools until you have tried several different ones. magnetic pickup tools I like D, E and F.

If you don't find it by this evening I'll come over to give a hand. I've got all those magnets and more. Don't ask me why...
if I envision walking in his shoes, I'd personally not be emotionally able to deal anymore

I'd call in help and a volunteer, emotionally distance soul who certainly would increase the chances of success 100%...

BTDT...I've been the guy on the receiving end (thanx Jeff when my CCT failed) and am happy to contribute effort to help someone elses unfortune

this forum rocks

Mike

Don't be so hasty. Patience is your friend. Keep fishing around.

If the damn thing went down in there you should be able to bring it back out the same way it went in, but you'll need to be patient and not freak out.

But definitely check everywhere else around the bike to be sure it isn't hiding elsewhere.
Gunny Fred W.
Are you sure it didn't fall here? This area above the clutch, behind the idle screw, is kind of flat with some minor contours but it could be laying there waiting for a magnet to pick it up. All sorts of things hide there, rocks, dirt, bugs, washers, nuts, ingin' Joe and Becky. So look there too, look on top of things below the CCT. I've found many of my tools there that I dropped.

P1050337.jpg

View from above CCT.

P1050326.jpg

Also look around throttle bodies, below, head, etc. Were you on the upper or lower CCT screw when you lost it? Did it make a lot of tinking sounds going down, or did it sound like it hit the ground? If you lost site of it, the sounds can be critical in where it went.

Trying to exhaust other avenues for you.