Error code 19

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumby

Reaction score
Went to start the bike...no go, did oil change yesterday and all was fine. The number 19 was on the LCD so I think that is the code I need. HELP!

Display Meaning

11 Cylinder identification sensor failure

12 Crankshaft position sensor failure

13 Intake pressure sensor failure

14 Intake pressure sensor pipeline failure

15 Throttle position sensor wire disconnected or short-circuited

16 Throttle position sensor stuck

21 Water temperature sensor failure

22 Intake temperature sensor failure

23 Atmospheric pressure sensor failure

24 Oxygen sensor failure

30 Lean angle cut-off switch activated

31 Maximum allowable Oxygen sensor correction level exceeded

32 Oxygen sensor correction level too low

41 Lean angle cut-off switch disconnected or short-circuited

42 Vehicle speed sensor or neutral switch failure

43 Monitor voltage -- less than 3v

44 ECU failure

I think 19 may be the sidestand switch. Try cleaning the connector at the top of the sidestand.

https://www.fjrowners.ws/discus/messages/9/40574.html?1124720685

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Error code 19: Open circuit is detected in the input line from the sidestand switch to the ECU.
If the bike is in neutral, the state of the side-stand switch should not matter.

If the bike is in gear, the bike will not start with the sidestand switch down, even with the clutch pulled in.

With the side stand up, the bike will start when in gear only if the clutch is pulled in.

All of the above is for normal operation. The signal from the starter safety relay does go through the second set of contacts in the ignition switch, so pay attention to what zorlac said above.

Here's the key: If the kill switch is turned off, or the sidestand is down (or the switch is FUBAR) and the bike is in neutral the starter will not turn over the engine.

If the switch contacts are hosed like zorlac's the starter will turn but the bike will not start and you'll get the "19"

Error code 19: Open circuit is detected in the input line from the sidestand switch to the ECU.
If the bike is in neutral, the state of the side-stand switch should not matter.

If the bike is in gear, the bike will not start with the sidestand switch down, even with the clutch pulled in.

With the side stand up, the bike will start when in gear only if the clutch is pulled in.

All of the above is for normal operation. The signal from the starter safety relay does go through the second set of contacts in the ignition switch, so pay attention to what zorlac said above.

Here's the key: If the kill switch is turned off, or the sidestand is down (or the switch is FUBAR) and the bike is in neutral the starter will not turn over the engine.

If the switch contacts are hosed like zorlac's the starter will turn but the bike will not start and you'll get the "19"
I can tell you I had the side stand up, kill switch was off, in neutral or in gear with clutch pulled in the engine would just turn over and no start. When I get home I will clean the contact on the side stand and spray some contact cleaner into the ingintion switch. Hope that is all that is wrong.

I am sorry did not mean to double click...how do you delete?

I can tell you I had the side stand up, kill switch was off, in neutral or in gear with clutch pulled in the engine would just turn over and no start. When I get home I will clean the contact on the side stand and spray some contact cleaner into the ingintion switch. Hope that is all that is wrong.

If the starter motor will turn the engine over, don't waste any time with the sidestand switch. If that was messed up it wouldn't spin the starter. You can prove that by putting the sidestand down and put the bike in gear and see that the starter is then inhibited.

The code 19 is already telling you that the ECU isn't seeing the sidestand / neutral switches. But the fact that the starter will run tells you that the neutral switch is enabling the starter safety relay. Clean the ignition switch. That is the most likely place the ground signal is getting lost.

If the starter motor will turn the engine over, don't waste any time with the sidestand switch. If that was messed up it wouldn't spin the starter. You can prove that by putting the sidestand down and put the bike in gear and see that the starter is then inhibited.

The code 19 is already telling you that the ECU isn't seeing the sidestand / neutral switches. But the fact that the starter will run tells you that the neutral switch is enabling the starter safety relay. Clean the ignition switch. That is the most likely place the ground signal is getting lost.
Lets start with that and see. I am hoping for a cheap fix. My GL 1800 just had the tranny go south, so 2700.00 repair on that. Love the FJR, it is my primary mode of transportation. I live 50 miles or so from work, the gas savings on the FJR over my Tacoma is great. So thanks and off to get some contact cleaner

"off to get some contact cleaner"

FWIW, the Pro Gold I mentioned in the other thread is a little more than run of the mill contact cleaner.

"off to get some contact cleaner"

FWIW, the Pro Gold I mentioned in the other thread is a little more than run of the mill contact cleaner.
Available in most automotive centers? If not point me in the right direction.

It's made by Caig. Pro Gold is the old name. Now it's called Deoxit Gold.

Try a music shop that sell electric guitars and such.

:huh: Didn't see that before.

Why didn't you just say that you can get it at Rat Shack? :unsure:

BTW - It wasn't me that dinged you on that post. I don't roll like that.

:huh: Didn't see that before.

Why didn't you just say that you can get it at Rat Shack? :unsure:

BTW - It wasn't me that dinged you on that post. I don't roll like that.
Remember psycho killer lyrics by the talking heads..."say something once, why say it again?"Ummmm, that rep meter is meaningless to me. :lol:

Damn man, there's a clicky link in the other thread. :dribble:
Sorry missed it but I thank you and hope this works. Have a great weekend.
Since you're in FL with its corrosive environment maybe an annual spritz is in order?I guess embedded links in the text aren't the way to go I've had other people miss them too, sorry.

Damn man, there's a clicky link in the other thread. :dribble:
Sorry missed it but I thank you and hope this works. Have a great weekend.
Since your're in FL with its corrosive environment maybe an annual spritz is in order?I guess embedded links in the text aren't the way to go I've had other people miss them too, sorry.
All is well, it worked fired right up and will add it to the PM schedule on my FJR. Now do you fix transmissions on GL1800's?