experience with FZ6 vs YZF600R?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renink

Reaction score
My cousin is looking to get his first bike and is looking at a 600. Through browsing this site I saw that a lot of people like the FZ1 so I suggested he take a look at the FZ6. He was looking at the YZF600R on the website and asked my opinion. Has anyone had experience with both machines? Can you give your experiences with them. He is about 5'10" 180lbs. Not looking to race around and wants something comfortable and I don't know how the ergos are on the two bikes. One other bike he sat on and thought was okay was a Katana600 but I don't know anything about that bike.

My cousin is looking to get his first bike and is looking at a 600. Through browsing this site I saw that a lot of people like the FZ1 so I suggested he take a look at the FZ6. He was looking at the YZF600R on the website and asked my opinion. Has anyone had experience with both machines? Can you give your experiences with them. He is about 5'10" 180lbs. Not looking to race around and wants something comfortable and I don't know how the ergos are on the two bikes. One other bike he sat on and thought was okay was a Katana600 but I don't know anything about that bike.
My opinion, and that's all it is, his choice will be his choice. I don't think he would go wrong with any of them... I would suggest he check with his insurance agent as to how much each individual bike might cost to insure. The FZ should win that contest.

He might also want to look at a Suzuki SV650 (V-twin) or Ninja 650R (parallel twin) , though they might be down on horsepower, they make a ton of torque and are easy to ride.

FZ-6: A nice "standard" type bike. Half fairing will have less damage if "dropped" (not that a new rider would DO that). IIRC, the suspension is not adjustable except for preload on the rear shock. A great all-arounder that can be used for sport-touring by adding soft luggage (or aftermarket hard cases) and a taller windscreen (I know Calsi makes one because OrangevaleFJR just got one for his wife's FZ-6). The engine doesn't "come alive" until higher in the rev band, but plenty of "oomph". And he'd sit a bit more upright than on the sportbike. There are 3 owners I know of on the forum (and there could be more) that have this bike in their garage.

YZF600R: A very nice 600 that's NOT "cutting edge" in the strict sense of the word. More comfie than a YZF-R6, not so "stretched out" or aggresive riding posture. A great little bike that still has the older gen adjustable forks and rear shock: preload, compression and rebound adjustments. This is probably a better choice than the Katana because of the suspension adjustability....but for the difference in price, aftermarket bits are available for the Katana.

Katana 600: IIRC, they stopped making this in 2006. There may still be some left-over models in showrooms. Very comparable to the Yammie, anbd is used by many as a sport-tourer. IT doesn't have the suspension adjustability of the YZF and its not liquid cooled, but rather air/oil cooled (in other words, the cylinders are cooled by oil being circulated by a separate oil pump and there is a large oil cooler) but its technology they've been using for years. I'd guess the ergos for the YZF and the Katana are similar. He should be able to pick this bike up at a good deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good deals going on in illinois for the katana, '06 models (new) getting $2000 off msrp.

Think msrp was around 6500 , bikes going for 4500 area

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2006 FZ6. We shopped for some time and tried seating positions on a number of bikes/models, but we ended back at Yamaha for the FZ. If I could have fit on a VStrom 650, that may have been a strong contender. Stayed away from the Bandit as I didn't want a vtwin.

I am only 5'6", but I find the FZ6 very comfortable, light and nimble. Katanas (can-of-tunas) are a lot heavier. Honda 599 was comfy as well, but no fairing or protection. The other models you talked about I have no experience with, and I did not want a sportbike crouch/lean over from the start, so I didn't include bikes like that in my search...

Givi and Kappa make a great sets of hardcase luggage that tucks under the undertail exhaust of an FZ6, so in no time he could have it looking like a baby FJR. I have a bit of issue with buffetting and noise (as I am a shortass), but I will be trying a taller touring screen from Puig with hopes it'll improve.

Your cousin is taller, so may not have any issues at all with that.

If he wants to cruise an FZ6 specific forum, he could try...

Sportbikes.net - FZ6 Forum

There are many threads there of people asking questions about whether or not the FZ is a good choice. Well worth a read for some opinions. There are also other sub-forums there for the other models you asked about. Give it a whirl...

I just got an FZ6. While I looked at the others, they weren't serious contenders. Just small things, like seating position or comfort of bar location, etc. I've been lusting for the FZ since I sat on one at the Atlanta MC show this past fall.

The comfort on the FZ is good. There is slightly more lean forward than when sitting on the FJR, but in motion the wind force negates any pressure on the hands. I really love the size and the handling of the bike. Keeping in mind, I don't have a lot of miles on the bike yet due to my feej crash. Power and delivery on the bike are great. It has plenty of power to do whatever you wish, but is not rude or abrupt with its delivery. I never feel as though a throttle mistake will cause the bike to "jump" out from under me. This is a very nice, very solid, modern looking standard machine. No regrets here.

Oh yeah, D&H in Cullman, AL will sell you one for $5800, which is a grand less than MSRP. They'll even pick you up at the airport.

Just did 2300 miles on my 06 FZ6 to and from MotoGP loaded down with bags. Highway 1 I was scraping pegs (probably due more to the extra weight and not my fantastic abilities). FZ6 is a great bike for sure and will do whatever you ask of it.

I don't have any experience with the yzf but i do have an fz6, 2004 purchased used off ebay with 4k miles that now has 14,5k miles and I love it. I also have the fjr and the fz is such a great all around bike. Keep the revs down and put around town, Wind it out and you will blow by most and keep up with some. Runs great, reasonably priced, no issues other than maybe the seat. I would stay away initially from the fz1 due to its power and cost of insurance. Any other questions give me a holler. I just purchased soft saddlebags from newenough for $50. good luck, everett

...no issues other than maybe the seat.
If you want the 'bbbbbzzz' out of the seat, flip it over and pull out the 2 rectangular black rubber dampers near the tank end of the underseat area. We also took some select slices of seat foam out and has made all the difference in the world to the stock seat.

The stock '07 Fazer S in Europe has a very interestingly shaped and apparently very comfy seat that, by owner reports, seems to just click on the older models like my '06.

And from what I can gather on sportbikes.net, a popular custom seat can be had from a UK company for about $300.

And from what I can gather on sportbikes.net, a popular custom seat can be had from a UK company for about $300.
Yamaha made an OEM seat upgrade for the 07 that fits on the previous years. I haven't had the need to upgrade since I find the stock ok, but I thought about it on my Cal ride :)

He would be fine with either. I put 20,000 miles on a YZF600, and it was a great bike. More relaxed ergos compared to a full supersport 600 like the R6 or CBR, but without the shocking power delivery of a full-on 600, either. Did some big mileage days (for a sporty 600) on it, two-up, with no problems.

Tires, chain, and sprockets were the only maintenance items I did to it. Sweet bike.

I sat on an FZ6, and it would be a great choice, too, I think.

But for a first bike, I always suggest the FNG buy used. Anything used. Just to find out if this whole motorcycle thing is really what they want to do. If they like riding, then shop for a new bike, or even a newer used bike. But that's just me. If they've got a history of riding dirt bikes, then they can probably have at it, anything that strikes their fancy.

Sherri and I looked at all of these bikes and the Kawi's and the Suzuki SV.

The FZ's partial fairing provides good coverage, with the touring screen. I would recommend getting the Yamaha touring screen if you want a perfect fit.

The reasons we went with the FZ6:

1) Is much easier to handle than the 600R in terms of weight distribution (just feels lighter)

2) Phenominal engine - the engine from the R6S, this engine is smooth and predictable under 5,000 rpm and comes alive and provides really very surprising amounts of power between 5,500 and 12,000 RPM. This engine is a screamer...make sure to tell him to explore the upper RPM's with care.

3) Tighter package...this is subjective, Yamaha has built a solid bike here...this is no toy. It is a serious and capable bike in every way. I was blown away that the FZ6 gives the feel of a much bigger bike in terms of build quality, performance, and feel then when you are in the twisties it turns with ease and holds a line as well as any bike I have ever been on.

4) Stardard sitting postion - much more comfortable than the other bikes you listed

5) Yamaha maintenance manager recommendations based on maintenance costs (I really trust this guy - we're best friends)

There are a few other reasons too. Sounds like he is looking for a full faired bike...he would not be disappointed with the FZ6...in fact, of the bikes you listed, it's clearly the best bike, although all the bikes you listed are nice bikes IMO.

I flogged a YZF600 for a couple of years before getting the FJR.

Wonderful bike. Perhaps the most underrated sport bike (also small sport touring, which is what I used it for). The Katana is slow and sloppy (and brakes suck!) in comparison. Huge difference. Steer away from the Kat if the YZf is considered.

For his size, it will fit him PERFECTLY. I'm 6'2"ish and it was a "little" small, but not bad at all.

Mods for sport touring...soft bags, tank bag, Heli Risers, National Tall Shield, heated grip inserts, gel grips. I put a Yosh pipe and a jet kit on it as well, but both are not really needed. The brakes are superb on the YZF. Handling was really, really flickable yet stable and forgiving. Power was good--a little slow on the lower end, but had good midrange and high end pull. 130mph was all I had it up to, and it felt great at high speeds.

The YZF suspension is frankly A LOT better than the FJR. Very adjustable and never felt the need to modify springs or valving. Just clickers and preload is all that is needed.

Truth be told, if I could have afforded it, I would have kept it for short, spirited trips.

Never rode an FZ6. Seems very tall and "in the wind" to me. Plus the suspension and brakes are only so-so, or so I've read.

However, me thinks the YZF is perhaps a good second bike for a newbie. They are deceptively quick and nimble--easy to get in trouble with. If he's mature and has a good head about himself, then I say go for it.

My wife is about the same height as your cuz and has a Honda Hawk GT (650, v-twin). AWESOME first bike. Less than 400lbs, not too powerful, good brakes, very nice looking, and the following is HUGE and support is as easy as asking the Hawk mailing list.

Definitely the FZ over the 600R - fuel injected vs carb is a no brainer IMHO

The FZ )as all 600cc bikes) is low on torque especially at at low rpms but get it over 6k and lit's like a turbo kicks in

Definitely the FZ over the 600R - fuel injected vs carb is a no brainer IMHO

The FZ )as all 600cc bikes) is low on torque especially at at low rpms but get it over 6k and lit's like a turbo kicks in
I call it the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde engine: FZ6

I did 39,000 kms on my 03' 600r before trading it on the Beast this spring,. Awesome bike and excellent support at the YZF600 site and lots of machines out there if parts are required. Smooth motor with a very linear delivery and lots of low end torque that turns into hp @8000+ rpm yet dosen't require hunting for a rev range to drive in semi agressive mode. Heavy *Translation*= forgiving,... to a less experienced rider but they will get bit if they start the clutch them up program. If buing used watch out for Inexperienenced riders who have abused the gear dogs that shift from 1st to 2nd...I never experienced any trouble but it's out there...

Incredible brakes! and makes a ecinomical track bike that would take a few years of skill to out drive.

don't know mutch bout the f6,....I hear it's more buzzy/on/off motor ?

-Don

I did 39,000 kms on my 03' 600r before trading it on the Beast this spring,. Awesome bike and excellent support at the YZF600 site and lots of machines out there if parts are required. Smooth motor with a very linear delivery and lots of low end torque that turns into hp @8000+ rpm yet dosen't require hunting for a rev range to drive in semi agressive mode. Heavy *Translation*= forgiving,... to a less experienced rider but they will get bit if they start the clutch them up program. If buing used watch out for Inexperienenced riders who have abused the gear dogs that shift from 1st to 2nd...I never experienced any trouble but it's out there...
Incredible brakes! and makes a ecinomical track bike that would take a few years of skill to out drive.

don't know mutch bout the f6,....I hear it's more buzzy/on/off motor ?

-Don
I went and took the FZ6 out for a ride today to remind myself what it's like. On off power from engine? Nope. Buzzy? Definitely not. I find it a gradual build up of power in the lower RPMs, you can tell when the power band hits in the higher RPMs, but what bike isn't like that? I find the engine extremely smooth. The bike does have some spots where it vibrates at highway speeds, but it is minor.

Then again, some people say I'm overly tolerant.