Extended length Brake Line (+3 inches) available for Bar Risers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richsp51

Reaction score
Beginning last late last year while trying to decide between the MV Motorrad and the HeliBar Bridge risers for my 2007 GENII, I contacted Heli customer support and started a dialog about the possibility of them offering an extended length replacement brake line as I'm not fond of the aesthetics of the extension line they provide. At one point Heli entertained the idea and went so far as to have their supplier (Galfer) make a prototype. Then, despite many attempts on my part to get status, they went quiet asdid Galfer who I also contacted.

Finally in early September, Heli replied to my latest inquiry stating "...we decided not go forward with offering the full brake line replacement to be used with the FJR1300 HeliBar bridge at this time. The amount of labor involved to access the line in order to change it, and the need to bleed the whole braking system, as well as the cost of the line itself, would make this a cost-prohibitive installation for our customers." I was unable to convince them otherwise.

That weekend I sent an email to HEL Performance USA as I noted that they, like Galfer, sold a complete 11 line replacement for the GEN II FJR1300 brake system. I asked if they could supply an extended length replacement for just the line from the front master cylinder. I shared my experience with Heli and Galfer (as explained above). I further suggested that there might be interest with members on this forum as well as the owners forum. The very next Monday I received an email reply from Jim Miller of HEL Performance USA stating that he could work with me if I provided him some measurements and pictures and if I would act as a tester for him. I of course agreed! I immediately put in my order for the Heli Bridge riser with RevZilla. I received both my first prototype extended brake line from Jim and the Heli Bridge from Revzilla by Friday of that week.

Removal of the OEM line and installation of the new extended line was not too difficult. The block end connection required a bit of finesse. PB Blaster penetrating oil and a flare nut wrench did the trick on removing the very tight OEM line. I only needed to remove the battery cover (Panel "A") for some wrenching room, but no other panels needed to be removed. The install obviously requires bleeding the front brakes but not the additional fitting on the front right side caliper that is actuated by the rear brake. I did this three times as I tested two prototypes in addition to the final line now installed. Speed bleeders made my job much easier.

Now, after three iterations, I can report that a +3 inch replacement of the OEM front brake line is available from HEL Performance USA. Jim Miller can provide one just like mine(see photos below). He will waive the normal $10 customization fee for forum members bringing the price for forum members to $49. Note that the brake line that I have has a protective covering (actually it's shrink tubing) so it looks very much like the OEM line. Make sure you ask for it.

If interested, contact Jim directly to order. Make sure you mention that you're a forum member.
His contact information is:
Jim Miller, Lead Brake Tech
HEL Performance USA
d.b.a. moto-heaven
Direct cell number: 814-321-4112
Office number toll free: 877-416-0969
email: [email protected]

NOTE:
It appears this extended line will work on GEN III's as well a GENII's. I checked Partzilla (FRONT MASTER CYLINDER Diagram) and at the block end of the brake line both my 2007 GENII and a 2013 GENIII use the same P/N's for "holder"(the retainer bracket) and bolts.

IMG_20151206_155522_zpsizwnftow.jpg

2013 & 2007 item and part numbers(identical)
=====================================
BOLT
90110-06149-00

HOLDER, BRAKE HOSE
3P6-25875-10-00

BOLT, BUTTON HEAD
92012-06010-00

Below are photos of my install.

IMG_20151120_154849_zpssvshpggj.jpg

Brake lines: OEM (bottom), HEL +3in. line(top)

IMG_20151120_154858_zpsigboikb3.jpg

Banjo end comparison: OEM(left), HEL(right)

IMG_20151120_154907_zps7ax2rhz9.jpg

Block end: OEM(bottom), HEL(top). Note that HEL block ships unpainted.

IMG_20151206_154311_zpspahginlw.jpg

Riders POV

IMG_20151123_122552_zpsrixjjtkd.jpg

Handlebars straight

IMG_20151206_153953_zpsotw4mlem.jpg

Handlebars positioned full left

IMG_20151123_122718_zpshatdyltp.jpg

Block end installed (HEL ships with block unpainted, I painted mine)

+1 - Thanks very much for sharing your work. If I were installing the bridge now I would definitely have sprung an extra $45 for not having the short extension. Now that it's in there only my own inertia will keep me from doing it.
wink.png

You may want to contact Heli again, mention that HEL will make them, and see if they want to offer them as an option on their web site. Otherwise, folks may not know the option exists unless they frequent this web site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input Fred. I don't want to deal with Heli on this subject again. I already spent so much time trying to convince Heli to supply a replacement line and in the end, they said it wasn't going to happen. I wasted months with them. Within ONE week of contacting Jim as HEL Performance, I had the first prototype of the replacement line( the first was +4 in. and too long) in hand and installed on my bike. Jim at HEL was available via phone when I was doing the install. It took two more attempts to get it just right. The final product is as close to OEM (but +3 inches) as you're going to get.

I think Heli's reluctance is that they don't want to be responsible for customers bothering them during and after installation on an entirely separate non-core product. It's easier to just include that universal extension made by Galfer. That being said, the Heli Bridge looks great with my brake line replacement, huh? I'm also very pleased with it's performance.

Regards,

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I can understand that. But I also think that some bozo could screw up his brakes putting the extension in and not preperly bleeding them, so they are already on the hook.

In any case, thanks again for doing the heavy lifting and sharing the very sanitary results with your buds, ;)

I'm wondering if the modification technique in the MV Motorrad riser instructions would work....
I wondered the same, but even it's a little kludgy looking and I seriously doubt that it would provide sufficient length with the Heli bridge when handlebars are adjusted in the rear most position and the handlebars are full lock left.

I'm wondering if the modification technique in the MV Motorrad riser instructions would work....
No. I tried that at first when I got my Heli Bridge. It didn't create enough slack for the brake hose. Putting the extension in was a non-event, and took all of 10 minutes extra.