Factory top boxes in the Bay Area?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allnight

Lead cat herder
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody in the Bay Area got a Yamaha top box? I'm trying to decide between the factory one and the Givi E52. Specs say they are the same size (Yam claims 1.83 ft3, while 52 liters is exactly 1.83 cubic feet!), but I've picked up the feeling that the Yamaha has less useful space than the Givi.

I found the E52 on display at Road Rider in San Jose, now want to see the factory box too.

I'll have to figure out how the backrest cushions work on which ever I decide on...hopefully they're just bolt-ons for each? Are there 3rd party back rests that are better? I've still got the factory seats, so haven't talked to anybody about seats yet.

I'll come visit/meet up with anybody who's willing to let me look at the thing mounted on their fjr, just let me know!

Mike

Anybody in the Bay Area got a Yamaha top box? I'm trying to decide between the factory one and the Givi E52. Specs say they are the same size (Yam claims 1.83 ft3, while 52 liters is exactly 1.83 cubic feet!), but I've picked up the feeling that the Yamaha has less useful space than the Givi.
I found the E52 on display at Road Rider in San Jose, now want to see the factory box too.

I'll have to figure out how the backrest cushions work on which ever I decide on...hopefully they're just bolt-ons for each? Are there 3rd party back rests that are better? I've still got the factory seats, so haven't talked to anybody about seats yet.

I'll come visit/meet up with anybody who's willing to let me look at the thing mounted on their fjr, just let me know!

Mike
Not only do I have a Yamaha top box, but I also have a Black 2008 FJR - like you.

Better yet, I live in Fremont, CA - like you.

It's a small world after all! I will send you my phone number in a private message as soon I can figure out how to do so.

Murph

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have a factory box, but you're welcome to look at my V46. Holds 2 full face helmets without a problem. I'd like to see the Yamaha box do that :p

I will be in Newark all day Saturday and Sunday and could put the box on for the trip. Let me know and I will pm with my location.

another

Mike

Not only do I have a Yamaha top box, but I also have a Black 2008 FJR - like you.
Better yet, I live in Fremont, CA - like you.

It's a small world after all! I will send you my phone number in a private message as soon I can figure out how to do so.

Murph
I've ordered my top box. Everything except the mount has arrived at the dealer.

I just purchased my 2008 last week. Looks like there are other Raven's just up the road.

It'll be interesting to see you on the road sometimes.

Mike, What a small world. It was great meeting you so randomly this morning. Hope you had a great day!!
Kyle
Hey Kyle, how did the class go today?

How slow can you go?

Glad you got to see the mount on my bike and hope yours arrives soon.

Nice meeting you this morning.

Hope to see you on some group rides.

Mike

This was a great reference! Thanks! And thanks to all the offers to let me see the Yamaha box! It was great to see such turn out on such short notice.

But, based on feelings I was already having, and then seeing the comparison in the thread, I ended up deciding on the Givi.

I also ended up opting for the immediate gratification. Like someone else said, buy high, and then later I'll sell low.

Road Rider in San Jose had the E52 on hand, and the rack for the FJR, so I picked it up. Took about 45 mins to install, I'll have pics up soon showing the install process. Total out the door was...a little under $500. Looking around now, looks like I paid about $40 extra to walk out with it today. Oh well, guess I'll have to just not quit my job quite yet.

Mike

I realize this is personal preference, but I went with the E52 after having the factory box. I posted a photo comparison here a while back...........
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=106905&hl=

Last edited by a moderator: