Fall down go boom.... now with gory pics!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you did everything you could to recover from an unavoidable situation. Hope there isn't any serious damage to your foot.

Sorry to hear about your crash--hopefully you didn't break any bones in that foot.

Very similar thing happened to me when I picked up my brand new '13 with zero miles. I left the dealer and within a mile pulled onto an onramp on the freeway behind an old pickup truck overloaded with junk. I'm thinking "I sure don't want to be behind that" so as soon as we merged into the right main lane I went to pull around him into the next lane to the left when a large wood crate fell off the left side of the truck right in front of me. There was a lot of traffic so I couldn't swerve into the next lane to the left or back into the lane I just vacated so I had no choice but to plow through the crate as it was bouncing down the freeway. Fortunately, it was empty and made of lightweight wood siding material so it just exploded when I hit it and I was able to keep the bike upright. The truck just kept going (not sure the driver even knew it happened) and I didn't want to try and chase him down (probably no insurance anyway) so I just continued the 8 miles home since there did not appear to be any issue with riding it, hoping for the best. I freaked out when I pulled into my garage and saw the damage--the entire front of the bike was destroyed.

Damn! Glad you and the bike are relativity OK. Hope no breaks and the foot heals up quick.

Keep us updated on the x-rays!

You scratched the 03? Sounds like time to upgrade to a 16
wink.png

Hope you are off the crutches soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Heading out for X-rays momentarily. Sleep was hard to come by, but I was able to sleep in a bit to make up for it.

EDIT: back, nothing broken. Doc said it will hurt for a few days, which was probably not the news flash he intended....

Geez, such an innocent object, and yet....

I wonder if ABS would do anything at all in that situation. You know, see the brakes are on and the difference in wheel speed. Not sure it would have helped but something to ponder on while you wait on your x-rays.

Glad you are relatively ok and that the bike is still usable.

So now I have something else to freak out about on the road, thanks!
biggrin.png
ABS would certainly have avoided that first momentary lockup that I saved.....

Walt, glad to hear you and the bike are relatively ok, but what about you're camera?
wink.png
Well, I did get the grab and the next tag.....
coolsmiley02.gif

Glad you're ok, Walt. Chicks dig scars!
smile.png
So that's your secret!!!

You scratched the 03? Sounds like time to upgrade to a 16
wink.png

Hope you are off the crutches soon!
If I could get one for what I gave for the '03 nine years ago...... 5500 bucks. From forum feedback at the time it might have been the first sub-6K FJR!

Glad to hear the good news that nothing is broken. You still have the no broken bones feather in your hat. Healing wishes sent your way.

Sorry to read about this Walt, but I'm glad to know that you are not hurt too badly.

I'd be interested in knowing which riding boot you wear? Would you venture that it prevented more serious injury?

Glad to hear that you survived your ordeal, wfooshee, and that your lucky stars still shine over you!

. . . it had been 8 years and 37 days since i crashed a motorcycle.
And thank God you finally got that out of the way, and you no longer have to bear that dreadful weight on your shoulders. No more sleepless nights spent with the weighing, unrelenting anxiety of never knowing when your "no crash" winning streak will come to an end. It's over. You are finally free of it!
smile.png

Glad you're OK and the bike is OK. Sounds like you did everything right -- or everything you had to do -- to avoid a much worse outcome.

And you still got the grab! Nice work!

Glad to hear you weren't too badly hurt, Walt.

If that slider is an OES, holler, as I have somewhere in my shop a spare Delrin slider.

Glad you and the bike are mostly OK.

Just think if you hadn't got it slowed down like you did.

"Cause of death was a piece of cardboard."

Life is a delicate balance! Ride safe friends!

If that slider is an OES, holler, as I have somewhere in my shop a spare Delrin slider.
R&G. Never replaced the left one from 8 years and 37 days prior..... Now I have a set!!!

Update on the foot. I can put weight on my heel, but not on the arch or ball of the foot. It's swollen so you can't see the tendon lines that are supposed to be there, and apparently it's swollen underneath, too, because when I do put it down on the floor, it feels "thick." I've learned how to get around the house by putting my knee in my computer chair and using it as a cart for my right leg. It's LOTS faster to get around, leaves my hands free so I can carry stuff, and as a mildly overweight dude with no upper body strength, those crutches are KILLING my triceps!!!! The chair is making little scuff tracks on my 32-year-old kitchen flooring, which is going to seriously degrade the value of my house, I'm sure.

..and the man gets up to finish the ride. darn coolio doode.
Well, people were watching. What else could I do???

BTW, Patriot saw my Facebook post on this, and it was good to hear from him. If you haven't seen, his Spyder got tore up, and now he's thinking about a Slingshot.

He said his favorite line of my story was "I checked my gear, saw some marks but couldn't tell which ones were new." Nice to be appreciated as a serious raconteur!!!

Been busy the last few days so this was the first I saw of your mishap. Damn, man... sorry to hear about it.

I feel a certain sense of involvement since it was may train car tag that you were after.

And he went on to grab the tag and post a new one. What dedication in the face of adversity! Limp over here and let me shake your hand. At least your bike looked for a soft landing spot in the cardboard.
I am very impressed with that. I'm pretty sure I'd have ditched the initial ride plan, and roll back home to lick my wounds.

I wonder if ABS would do anything at all in that situation. You know, see the brakes are on and the difference in wheel speed.
Thinking it through... the ABS would detect the impending wheel lock, kick in and release the brakes, so the box should not slide. But with such compromised traction and braking you may not have stopped in time and ran into the back of the car anyway?

I wonder if ABS would do anything at all in that situation. You know, see the brakes are on and the difference in wheel speed. Not sure it would have helped but something to ponder on while you wait on your x-rays.

Glad you are relatively ok and that the bike is still usable.

So now I have something else to freak out about on the road, thanks!
biggrin.png