Family dog of 16 years gone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Southern,

Hope how soon that big ol' hole in your heart begins to heal. Focus on the so many good memories as Doc would have wanted.

In good time another pup will enter your life of its own accord just and it will likely be just when you think that empty spot in your heart has become permanent.

Your new best friend, the one that right now you can't even imagine exists, will choose you.

At least you got to hold your friend during the last moments. My vet wouldn't allow it, had his 'helper' hold, then before I could even rub his ears one last time the vet quickly injected and it was over. I was so pissed I made a MAJOR scene and have never used that vet again. Sigh.
Damn Carver... as heart-wrenching as my experience was, your vets. cold-ass method had to be harder on you... I'm sorry man. But, that doesn't change all of the good memories you had with your soul-mate. I rode home in a furious rain storm tonight... fits my mood.

I had a lump in my throat when I read your post, and I haven't even been through it (yet). I applaud your courage for staying with Doc to the bitter end, no matter how much it hurt you to do it. His last feeling on this earth was the touch of loving hands, as he fell asleep for the last time. Man, that must be tough.

Savor those precious memories that you've shared with Doc over the last 16 years. I hope that remembering the good times might ease your pain a little.

Jill

I haven't really responded much in threads about losing the family pet... I didn't have a reference, I've never had to put an animal down. That changed Sunday. Doctor Watson (Doc) spiraled into bad health to the point that I had to have him put to sleep. You really get close to a dog that is an inside dog that is involved in almost every family activity. We got him in 1991 as a puppy when the kids were between the ages of 6 and 10. He was a Cairn Terrier, like Toto in the Wizard of Oz. He was very smart, loved to play, and there wasn't a mean bone in his body. The kids fought over who Doc would sleep with each night, so I had a schedule where he alternated which kids bed he would sleep in each night. He rotated between the three. After a couple of weeks, he would just go to the "scheduled" bedroom and jump into the correct bed. As the kids got older and not as interested in Doc, he and I got closer. He slept in our bed, insisted on being in the easy chair next to me, and totally enjoyed riding in the truck to get a plain hamburger for himself.
About a year ago he became incontinent. We put up with it because, after all, it was Doc (the carpet needs to be replaced now). During that time he also became nearly blind and deaf. Over the past week he stopped eating. And three days prior he lost the ability to walk, or even stand up. Saturday night was an all nighter with a lot of pain... physically for Doc, and emotionally for me. I made the "God" decision that he had to be put to sleep. His Vet. was closed, so I made an appointment with Pet Smart at 1400 hours for him to be put down. The in-store Vet. said that they could take him in the back and kill him, or I could be with him while they did it. Although it was really hard on me, but easier on Doc, I opted for the "I'll hold him while you give him the lethal injection" scenario. I just sat and rubbed his ears while they did the injection, and he just faded away. Just like that... 16 years of a companion full of vigor and life... gone. It really got to me when I handed him back to the Vet... now as a lifeless rag doll.

Shit... this sucks.

IMG_0051.jpg
So sorry to learn of this, I really feel your pain for you and the family.

Late last year I had to let my little dog go to doggie heaven, it still makes me sad to think about her.

The picture you posted above of "Doc" really "hit home" so keep the good thoughts and times knowing what you did for "Doc" was best.

Ride safe,

Boy, I can really feel your pain. I too had a 16 year companion that I had to put down (Harry). My wife called him her first born as he came before the kids. Reading this post brought the whole memory back to me. It's been over 10 years and I still haven't gotten another dog. Nothing could replace Harry.

Been there twice and its the hardest thing. Its great that you where there to comfort Doc. My little dochsund, Fritz, just turned 19. Over the past year is eye site has gotten really bad, his hearing is almost gone, he, like Doc has his share of "accidents" in the house but he eats well and still gets around fairly well. I know that he wont be with me for ever but every day is a god send. Doc obviously loved you and your family and I'm sure you gave him a carefree happy life. I hope you find comfort in knowing you gave him a wonderful life. You will never be able to replace him but I'm sure when the next lucky pooch works his way into your life you'll find theres still just as much love to share with him or her as there was with Doc. RIP Doc :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Southern... I feel your pain, there's not much that sucks worse.

About a week before Xmas 2006 we had to put Comet down, he was 16 years old. We though he was ready in 04 so we got another dog in anticipation... That little guy "monty" kept him going for another two years. But age finally got the best of him. He was an awesome Golden.

Comet1.jpg

We now have these two trouble makers.

Monty the short legged one and Jake..

DSC_7768.jpg

Monty is my buddy and follows me everywhere and sits with or by me nearly all the time. He's not much into being held, or pet (never met a dog that didn't like his belly rubbed, but that's not how Monty rolls).

Time heals...

Couple of good looking puppies you got there Renagade, which reminds me, I got to get the Dodger to the groomers. Neighbors are starting to complain that I keeping sheep in the back yard.

very sorry for your loss. i put down our previous newfie a couple years ago, was great for 10 years, then in the span of 2 days things went south fast. was one of the easiest, yet hardest, decisions i've had to make. as you, i was with him when the vet gave the injection. there's no way my dog was going to be put down without me being there, without me holding him, and without him seeing me when it happened.

time heals. we had nicodemus cremated, then planted a tree in our back yard and sprinkled his ashes there, and put his two favorite toys there. the neighbor kids know not to touch those toys, unless they want to see the mean dean. ( :

At least you got to hold your friend during the last moments. My vet wouldn't allow it, had his 'helper' hold, then before I could even rub his ears one last time the vet quickly injected and it was over. I was so pissed I made a MAJOR scene and have never used that vet again. Sigh.
that is just wrong. what the hell kind of vet would be like that??? when our newfie was sick at the specialty clinic, and everyone knew he had to be put down, they let us spend as much time with him until we were ready, then we told them we were ready, vet came in, and even then he waited until we said go ahead. and even then, afterwards, they let us spend time with poor nick after he had passed. glad you let the vet know s/he should find a new profession.

oh, for those of you replying that it hasn't happened to you but you know it will, take pictures. take lots of pictures. then take pictures. and video. the last thing you want is to have a bunch of pics of your pet as a puppy, then nothing, then photos of you red-eyed acting like nothing's wrong, with your sick and soon-to-be-gone pet. that sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep...BTDT.

Worst day of my life. Sucked everything right out of me. All I tell myself is that I gave her the best life I could while she was here. Their life expectancy is just all to short. I think I'll stop now...

My buddy in the picture here is 13 next week. He will still chase the ball until he is lame, always has. We also have a sheltie, turned 15 on Saturday. Both have had thier moments over the last few months, but, as long as the legs hold out, bodily functions are ok and the pain is in check....

The military vets here have been good, but it's my wife who is the real champ. Both dogs are on a variety of meds, but it really has improved thier life. Pain meds for arthritis, etc. The older dog takes a pill for his incontinence, and what a difference. As far as the eyesight and hearing go, well part of it is real, and part is just selective. It's amazing when I call the older one, or motion to him, he just sits there, but if I show him the food bowl, or he hears me rustling with the food bag, well that's another story as everything works fine then.

Southern I lost my last buddy in '95 at age 16, and did not choose to be in the room. I will not go that route this time, as both these guys have made life bearable when I thought it wasn't, and the rest of the time brought immense joy.

I feel your loss, and I am truly sorry, but I must thank you for sharing. I will not rush out the door tomorrow morning, without pausing, and I am going to savor the moments that we have now....

You are correct....that sucks! I don't look forward to that day with my best friend. I feel for ya.....

Southern,

It takes a real man to show emotion for what some percieve as a "Dumb" animal. I do not know about you but I think we all could learn alot from animals in how to truly care for one another.

I also had to put down a mastiff htat was our protector for 10 years. I wept very loudly as the vet gave him his one way trip to heaven.

I truly am sorry for your loss,

I haven't really responded much in threads about losing the family pet... I didn't have a reference, I've never had to put an animal down. That changed Sunday. Doctor Watson (Doc) spiraled into bad health to the point that I had to have him put to sleep. You really get close to a dog that is an inside dog that is involved in almost every family activity. We got him in 1991 as a puppy when the kids were between the ages of 6 and 10. He was a Cairn Terrier, like Toto in the Wizard of Oz. He was very smart, loved to play, and there wasn't a mean bone in his body. The kids fought over who Doc would sleep with each night, so I had a schedule where he alternated which kids bed he would sleep in each night. He rotated between the three. After a couple of weeks, he would just go to the "scheduled" bedroom and jump into the correct bed. As the kids got older and not as interested in Doc, he and I got closer. He slept in our bed, insisted on being in the easy chair next to me, and totally enjoyed riding in the truck to get a plain hamburger for himself.
About a year ago he became incontinent. We put up with it because, after all, it was Doc (the carpet needs to be replaced now). During that time he also became nearly blind and deaf. Over the past week he stopped eating. And three days prior he lost the ability to walk, or even stand up. Saturday night was an all nighter with a lot of pain... physically for Doc, and emotionally for me. I made the "God" decision that he had to be put to sleep. His Vet. was closed, so I made an appointment with Pet Smart at 1400 hours for him to be put down. The in-store Vet. said that they could take him in the back and kill him, or I could be with him while they did it. Although it was really hard on me, but easier on Doc, I opted for the "I'll hold him while you give him the lethal injection" scenario. I just sat and rubbed his ears while they did the injection, and he just faded away. Just like that... 16 years of a companion full of vigor and life... gone. It really got to me when I handed him back to the Vet... now as a lifeless rag doll.

Shit... this sucks.

IMG_0051.jpg
Oh Man I'm sorry for you Southern, I just did the same right before Christmas for my Jessie, she was 14 and I held her while they gave her freedom from her pain.

They were very nice and compassionate about it. It hurts so much to lose that part of your family because she was.

I miss her greeting me everyday when I come home. I took her up to my summer place in the mountains and buried her under some trees overlooking the river.

You'll always have the pleasant memories of your wonderful little doc. God bless.

Sorry to put anything negative in this thread, but your vet sucks ass and has no compassion.

He'd never give care to another animal I owned.

I feel your rage dcarver.

With the exception of a few years in the Army, I've always had a dog, It's a great feeling to come home and be greeted as though you're the greatest thing on earth :)

sorry about your pup :(

As someone said above, this thread says a lot about the guys and gals that hang out here.

We had to put our oldest Dalmatian, Pepper, down on 9/1/2005. She had CDS, which is similar to Cushing's, but can also be thought of like Alzheimer's for dogs. Our vet told us a couple of months prior that the worst thing about the disease for Pepper was that that was the only thing wrong with her. 14 years old, but still ran like a puppy. Just slowly lost her mind. The last night I spent with her was horrible, but it helped me finally get past the selfishness that had held her here, in obvious anguish, only because I didn't want to let her go. (and yes, I am crying as I type this...). Our vet made a house call the next day, at our request, so that I wouldn't have to make that trip to the office, all the while knowing I would be coming home alone.

She went quietly, and I carried her out to my vet's vehicle, kissing her one last time. We had her cremated, and her ashes are resting just a few feet away from me. She will always be with me, and my will states that the ashes are to be placed in my coffin at burial. Think I'm a little attached to that girl?

Pepper will never be replaced, but we did welcome another rescue Dalmatian later that year. Sydney had been given up to the Plano Humane Society in June, simply because she had heartworm, and had been languishing in a kennel ever since. I know that Pepper would have approved, as she was a rescue Dal herself, and knew what it was like to need a second chance. Stevie, (who was Pepper's younger "sister", and is now 16), and Jack, (adopted at 5 months), are also rescues, so they made space in their home. If you do decide to open your home again, SouthernFJR, please give some thought to a rescue org. Best wishes.