Farklefest 2006

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrchik

Just a girl in the world, having rode 3 FJRs
Reaction score
Yea! My goodies are finally getting installed!! We are in the garage right now, taking the bike apart and planning our attack. We may need some of y'alls wisdom as the day goes on.

To do:

Install J&M communication system

Install Garmin Streetpilot III GPS

Install Priority Plus lights

So here's some beginning questions about the GPS and thank you in advance for any usable info!

What part number techmount stemstand are you guys using? (o-ring stem or just the nut)

Will the mounting plate's pre-drilled holes match up to those on a Touratech StreetPilot III mount?

Can anyone confirm that the steering head nut is the same on an 06 as the previous years? 36 mm?

More pics will come as the day progresses!

In the beginning....

Last edited by a moderator:
Chik,

How much a pain in the rumpus was it to lift the tank? I have to do some similar farkling here shortly and am fairly mechanically challenged.

Ryan says:

"Piece of pie, simple as cake!"

You will need to find some sort of rod to use to prop up the tank though.

Also, so far it seems that Yamaha has way over-torqued alot of the bolts or they are just sticking real bad. We had to get out the Liquid Wrench spray to get some of them loosened. :bb: May wanna have a can of that in your garage!

Does this mean...that by installing the GPS, you'll be able to ride to WFO :blink: ....in time for a trim & a swim ;)

fjrchik, stem nuts made for pre '06's WILL NOT fit, unless you install an additional washer under the nut....reason, the nut is to shallow and bottoms out before it reaches the triple tree. Don't ask how I know!

Good to find out now Petey, thanks!

OK, after a 3 hour tour of ft worth looking for a fuse block we are now back in the garage. At this point, the J&M equipment is installed. Now the wiring begins.

fjrchik, stem nuts made for pre '06's WILL NOT fit, unless you install an additional washer under the nut....reason, the nut is to shallow and bottoms out before it reaches the triple tree. Don't ask how I know!
Petey,

I just got my stemstand today to mount my gps on my 06.....are you suggesting that this is not just a bolt on?

Thanks,

Ron

The picture of under the tank looks very interesting. Has yamaha added an addtional heat shield underneath the tank? Where I should be seeing the tops of the carbs and such all I see is a layer of silver.

Is this a "flexible" item or is it made from steel/aluminum?

If it is an additional shield like it looks it might be able to be retrofitted (possibly with a bit of trimming) to the older FJR's.

If you get a chance sure would love to see a few more pics of that.

- Colin

I'm back at the office today and will be able to put up more pics hopefully tonight of the finished products.

Petey, this is the stem mount I'm looking at:

stem mount

So you already know that I'll need an extra washer for it? Luckily we found a great place yesterday that I can go get that from easily.

Colin,

I only have 1 more shot under the tank and it's pretty much the same angle. I didn't realize there weren't more shots of this available or I would have done better on the camera duty! There's more info (and pics I think) on the jiffy pop cover on this thread:

click me

The picture of under the tank looks very interesting. Has yamaha added an addtional heat shield underneath the tank? Where I should be seeing the tops of the carbs and such all I see is a layer of silver.
Is this a "flexible" item or is it made from steel/aluminum?

If it is an additional shield like it looks it might be able to be retrofitted (possibly with a bit of trimming) to the older FJR's.

If you get a chance sure would love to see a few more pics of that.

- Colin
What carbs? :D

This has been covered in more detail in other threads. Yes they added some significant new heat shielding. I believe it was the thread on throttle body syncs now being a major PITA on the 06 that had the most detail. Try looking for that thread. I can't remember for sure, but I also believe someone with a new 06 FJR that had a previous FJR said a retrofit would not be possible, but don't quote me on that.

Edit: Ooops! fjrchik provides the link above to the thread I was referring to. Good job fjrchik! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Update: Bike is done for now til sliders from Skyway arrive and GPS stem mount gets here too. Here's some pics of Ryan's awesome handiwork!

Under the seat, the wiring for the passenger plug in to the J&M. We also got a piece of rubber to lay over all wiring and fuse block to help weather protect it.

Under the rubber:

J&M handset and Ipod:

Antenna:

One very happy rider!!

I'll get the last pics up next week when the gps stem mount is installed as I'm guessing that may be of most interest!

Khssssssh, Uh, 10-4, good buddyette. Roger dat. Over. Khssssssh. :D

Y'all be mindful of dem cab-over Petes wit a refer on and semis haulin' hogs, ya hear? ;)

Nice job! Ahhhh, new toys for the new toy. Hmmmm, retail therapy?

In answer to your first post, my touratech locking mount did not line up with the pre-drilled holes in the stemstand plate. I used 2 that lined up and drilled 2 more. I seem to recall someone posting that they are using a different plate and the mount lines up now. If not, it isn't that difficult a "fix".

Uhh..I put the Techmount stemstand on my 06 to mount my GPS ...Mike at Techmount said it fit the 06 (don't know if it was a different stem stand or not)...it didnt seem to need a washer or any sort...did I miss something?

Ron

Mine should be here within the next 2 days, so I'll find out shortly. I'm glad to hear you didn't need one. They should make things that fit or send all parts with IMO. The link to the one I ordered is up above, Ron.

Mine should be here within the next 2 days, so I'll find out shortly. I'm glad to hear you didn't need one. They should make things that fit or send all parts with IMO. The link to the one I ordered is up above, Ron.
The Techmounts come with either a 1 1/2 stem or a 3 1/2 inch stem....the latter being standard. I mounted a 1 1/2 inch stem on mine with a small GPS..Quest 2...to keep it below the instruments and out of the way of the key. I would like to see how you mount everything. I recommend you look at a locking GPS mount...try looking here https://www.cycoactive.com/ where you might have gotten your touratech. No the holes didnt really line up...very simple drilling job, though...took five minutes....

I miss my satellite radio...can you play one through the J&M?

Ron