Father's Day Goodie

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Ride

Reaction score
So, it was a good day even if I had to work. My son and wife gave me the

"The Tankslapper" a set of vinyl to protect the paint on the bike.

Clicky

I'll let everyone know how the install goes on Wed. or Thur. :clapping:

D*mm work gets in the way of having fun.

Chuck

Wash and wax the tank before you install it. Use a small squeegee to make you get ALL the bubbles out and the edges down. I was pretty happy with the ones I installed on my Connie (they'd last a season or two, depending on how much I had in my tankbag). I haven't put one on my FJR, though.

Nice Dad's Day gift! I got a weed whacker. Again. :angry:

I used tankslapper on the sides and bottom of top-side (@ the belt line) and they are ok. You can only see the edges when you're right on top of the bike. A lot of work to get on though.

Advice: when applying, use LOTS of water to spray on the tank and on the tankslapper ... the more wet it is, the easier it is to position ... and re-position .... and re-position...

I used tankslapper on the sides and bottom of top-side (@ the belt line) and they are ok. You can only see the edges when you're right on top of the bike. A lot of work to get on though.
Advice: when applying, use LOTS of water to spray on the tank and on the tankslapper ... the more wet it is, the easier it is to position ... and re-position .... and re-position...
The man speaks truth. In fact, in addition to what I said above, keep a big water spray bottle at hand and use it liberally.

+1 on what Murph said. The wetter the better. I used a rubbing alcohol and water mix instead of straight water. Someone recommended that instead of straight water.

Two of the hardest pieces to fit from the full kit are the tank top piece, and the triangle below the radiator. I regret not fitting the triangle as that area gets tons of splooge even with a fender extender. In hindsight, I should have taken the triangle off the bike to make the install easier.

Wash and wax your bike, take your time, lots of water and lots of squeegee. One more thing, contoured shapes can be better fit with a little heat from a heat gun. Be careful to use just a little heat, not a lot.

Good luck

Thanks for the tips. My son worked for a graphics place

and has installed these type of kits before. Lots of water/alcohol

mix was his recomindation also. :rolleyes:

Chuck