First 1000 miles on my new 2012

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnKing

Reaction score
Bought the bike in Sublimity, OR. Many issues with paperwork from the folks at Power Motorsports caused untold problems trailering the bike across the border but eventually made it to Calgary but not before the tarp trashed the hell out of the tail section. :(

The bike is as wonderful as I remember. Fun, quick, comfortable - everything I could possibly ask for. But Calgary? Not so much.

Yesterday morning, I was lucky enough to meet up with a couple of guys in Bragg Creek who were kind enough to invite me to follow them as they went for a "spirited" run on the local roads. So it was a great morning. But it went to hell soon after...

I had the most terrifying two hours of my life yesterday trying to drive to Canmore (about 60 mins west of Calgary). The winds were so bad, it was literally causing me to change lanes as the wind forced the bike slideways. :( I have never been more frightened on a motorcycle and I've ridden in Manhattan rush hour traffic! I came close to being knocked off the bike at least a half a dozen times. And locals say the wind is *not* unusual.

That being the case, I'm seriously rethinking whether or not I want to ride in this area. :(

Glad you got cher 012 home safely. That tail section can be repaired/replaced easy enough. Not that big a deal. Concerning the winds you just dealt with, I was remembering... Last summer I was coming home after a great day with some friends at the Barber Motorsports Museum in Alabama. What a place. It's like the motorcycle hall of fame. Anyway, we drove right into the teeth of Tropical Storm Debbie. The rain and the wind was blowing sideways. My cheap helmet face shield was so fogged up I couldn't see anything but the tail light of my buddy Jim who was traveling 30 feet in front of me at about 65 mph on the slab. We rode like that for probably 50 miles through that rain and wind. Scared the snot outa me. I had to put my trust into my FJR... that it could hold up against a wind that was blowin' way too hard. But the FJR is not like other bikes I've owned. It's chassis is solid and stays planted. It's got enough weight and size that it's not easily pushed around. It handles so well that it will surprise you when the going gets rough. In most cases, it's capable of far more than most of us are.

Glad you were onboard an FJR on this particular day. You made the right choice, dude.

Gary

darksider #44

Glad you got cher 012 home safely.
Thanks - me too.

That tail section can be repaired/replaced easy enough. Not that big a deal.
Yeah - it was just painful to see it all beat up before I'd even had a chance to ride it much. :(

But the FJR is not like other bikes I've owned. It's chassis is solid and stays planted. It's got enough weight and size that it's not easily pushed around. It handles so well that it will surprise you when the going gets rough.
Agreed and that's what scared me so much - the bike *wasn't* staying planted. And I'm no lightweight - I'm 250lbs. So for the wind to push me AND the bike across the highway? Not fun.

That section near Exshaw on the way to Canmore is always pretty windy... but this weekend was especially windy. I think you lucked into a bad day... generally the FJR stays pretty planted, regardless of winds.

Worst wind I've ever had: once between Hana and the Sask border I was getting tossed from one shoulder to the other... scared the shit outa me. Worse of all time was in California coming down the Antelope Valley Freeway from the Mojave, nearly got blown under a truck (that was on an old Nighthawk).

Glad you made it home in one piece. Still planning on coming over for Tech Day next weekend?

Griff

Last edited by a moderator:
That section near Exshaw on the way to Canmore is always pretty windy... but this weekend was especially windy. I think you lucked into a bad day...
That's just the kind of "luck" I have. :(

Glad you made it home in one piece. Still planning on coming over for Tech Day next weekend?
I asked before what that was, where it was, what time it was.....you know...the little details... :)

Hi Shawn... replied to the original "Welcome me back" thread... Tech Day is a gathering of local FJR folks, usually in my garage, to do needed maintenance, farkles, chew the fat, tell war stories, etc, etc, etc.

This year's spring tech day is Saturday, 8 May, 0800 until we get done... I'll PM you address and other contact info.

Griff