First bike.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slomoshun

Reaction score
I met up, by chance, with a fellow FJR owner and forum member while out for a ride today and for twenty minutes or so, over a coffee, all we talked about was our bikes. A remark made by my new friend passed without comment from me but as I rode home I couldn`t get it out of my mind. He had said that the 09FJR that he had bought in the spring was his first bike. Now apart from showing amazingly good judgement I wondered why he had chosen an FJR as to me the big Yamaha is more of a bike that one would graduate to rather than start out on. The next time that we meet I`m going to find out how he managed to pick one of the best bikes out there as his first ride but now I`m wondering if there is any other first time bike owners who decided on a FJR.

slo.

I met up, by chance, with a fellow FJR owner and forum member while out for a ride today and for twenty minutes or so, over a coffee, all we talked about was our bikes. A remark made by my new friend passed without comment from me but as I rode home I couldn`t get it out of my mind. He had said that the 09FJR that he had bought in the spring was his first bike. Now apart from showing amazingly good judgement I wondered why he had chosen an FJR as to me the big Yamaha is more of a bike that one would graduate to rather than start out on. The next time that we meet I`m going to find out how he managed to pick one of the best bikes out there as his first ride but now I`m wondering if there is any other first time bike owners who decided on a FJR.slo.

I also bought an FJR as my first bike. I got a 2008 new and farkled the sheet out of it. Just didn't know any better :yahoo:

gsozz

Houston

Oooo, I wanted the V-65 Sabre (I had the 750). Good choice!

Me:

RD 400

650 Maxim

750 Sabre

CB 1100 F (2)

CBR 1100 XX Blackbird

FJR (current)

GSXR 750 (current)

DL 1000 V-Strom (current)

That's a pretty good schooling and graduation path.

The FJR isn't what I'd consider a first bike, either, but a handful here have done that. In order for me since age 13, here's my progression:

Honda 90

Triumph Tiger Cub 200

BSA 650 Thunderbolt

Kawasaki Z1 900

Suzuki GS 1000EC

Honda CBR 1100XX (carb)

Yamaha FJR 1300A

Honda CBR 1100XX (FI)

Kawasaki KLR 650

As noted in my signature line below, I still have the last three.

Last edited by a moderator:
FZ6 in late August 2006

FJR beginning of season 2008

yes, I am spoiled, but I am worth it :)

Took the safety riders course, bought a Suzuki GS500e. Rode that for a couple years.

Didn't ride for 12 years.

Took the safety riders course again in April 2009, went home and a friend loaned me his 2008 ZX-14 (modified) for a day.

Moved to Seattle and test rode:

Suzuki VStrom 1000

Ducati MultiStrada 1100s

Yamaha FZ1

Suzuki B-King

Yamaha FJR

Kawasaki Concours

Choice came down to a fling (Ducati) or a relationship (FJR).

I'm in a relationship now.

IMO, the learning curve for newer riders on this bike is easily managed. Don't fear the weight, respect the throttle.

I've never owned a MC, except a choppered minibike when I was 14yo. I've ridden a variety of friends bikes off road over the years in a very limited way and lived on bicycles when I was a kid. Three years ago my neigbour, a retired cop and MC safety instructor convinced me to get my license. I rode a couple borrowed bikes a bit then another friend let me ride his FJR home from 500 miles away. Hooked! He let me store and ride it for the rest of that season. Then 2 years ago he invited me to go on a 1 week 3000 mile trip in the PNW with 5 other bikes. Really hooked! In tota I put on about 6000 miles on his FJR over the 2 years. Life has been too busy to buy my own although I have tried to pull the trigger a couple of times this year. Almost pulled off the deals but glitches each time. I have read several warnings here as I lurk on the forum that the FJR should not be a first bike..but I have no interest in anything else. It is the bike I want and I will get one. I think that the stars are lining up for next year unless a killer deal hits me sooner. I can't help lusting after an FJR!

3.5 hp minibike 8yrs old(had a car clock me 35mph going down hill. pretty fast for a mini bike!)

67 honda 90 12yrs (It was prefect until I got it. I really wanted a dirtbike)

72 yamaha 175 14yrs (my first really dirtbike)

72 yamaha RD 350 16yrs (fast little bike)

78 yamaha 650 19yrs (would beat you to death)

82 honda silverwing 21yrs (slow but smooth)

01 yamaha v-star 42yrs (wrecked it so I built a custom out of it. I still have it)

07 yamaha FJR 46yrs ( it wasn't until it that I realized I really didn't know how to ride)

06 SV650 49yrs (it's really for my son 20yrs old great bike. It's more of a starter bike)

I've ridden motorcycles all my life, a FJR would be a lot of bike for a first timer.

I love the FJR I don't think I will ever want anything else!

I really like my FJR; if I had to have only one bike it would be the one. I've gone thru quite a few bikes over the years. Fix 'em in the winter because theres not much else to do up here for 6 months of the year.

1971: 1968 Honda CB450 blown up & scrapped

1975: 1972 Suzuki GT380 sold 1977

1977: 1974 Kaw Z1 sold 1980

1981: 1980 Yam XS1100 sold 1985

1985: quit riding due to inner ear vertigo problem

1995: surgery corrects inner ear problem

2001: 1977 Honda GL1500 sold 2003

2001: 1975 RD400 restore & sold 2001

2002: 1976 Suzuki GT750 to restore (still have it)

2003: 1975 GT380 restore & sold 2005

2003: 1972 GT380 (same as the one I had in college)

2004: 1979 KZ1300 sold 2006

2005: Kaw ZRX1200R (1st new bike) still got it

2005: Honda PC800 (trying to get the wife to ride) sold 2007

2005: My old z1 bought back, awaiting restoration

2005: 1988 Honda GL1500 still got it

2006: Kaw 750 twin awaiting restoration

2006: Honda CB1000C fix and sold

2006: Honda 1975 CB750 fix and sold

2007: Suzuki TL1000R still got it

2007: Suzuki GS750 fix &sold

2007: Suzuki GT550 fix & Sold

2007: 1974 Kaw 500 fix & sold

2007: 2005 FJR still got it

2007: Kaw Ninja 250 (daughters training bike) sold 2009

2007: 1999 Suzuki SV650 race bike

2008: 2001 SV650 race bike (daughter)

2008: (2) Honda CB900C fix and sold

2009: (2) Honda CB750 in process for sale next spring.

next bike maybe new Honda VFR1200 if business gets back to normal. meanwhile paying for racing by bringing 3 or 4 neglected vintage jap bikes back to life each year

I'd never consider an FJR a first bike, but if you do, props to ya.

In 1965 I saw a Ducati 160 Monza Jr at a gas station with a for sale sign on it. It was nearly new. I asked about it & the guy told me to go ahead and take it for a ride. Well, I did not tell him I'd never ridden a bike before (had only been a passenger) and off I went. Scared the hell out of myself, but I got it back in one piece and put a deposit on it.

Ducati 160 1965 ..............crashed & totalled it

Yamaha 180

Honda 305 Super Hawk

BSA 650 Thunderbolt......... crashed & totalled it

HD Sportster.....................thought I'd moved up but the Brit bikes were faster, more fun, & handled better, so...

Triumph 650 Bonneville

BSA 650 Spitfire

..... no bike for several years

Kawasaki 175(?) scrambler type

Yamaha 500 twin

Norton 850 Commando...had always wanted this bike, found one in terrific condition

Yamaha FJ1100

...... No Bike for 10 years

Yamaha FJR

I've probably forgotten a few

There is no real reason not to pick an FJR as a first bike other than the fact that it is big, heavy and deceptively fast. If there were no "small bikes" out there to choose from, it would be an non issue.

It really is just a matter of common sense. You make a mistake and drop it, you have to pick it up..small bike alot more easy. With all the $$$ tupperware the FJR has, you do have that added incentive not to drop it, but when you are learning you should not have crap like that on your mind, better to have a non-faired used bike that you won't feel bad about trashing a bit.

Your learning curve is just going to be faster on a small , nimble lightweight bike. And as dangerous as it is out on the street for any rider, mastering all the skills needed as soon as one can is always a plus.

Just like leaning to drive, it is easier and faster learning on an automatic than a manual. But many have learned to drive using a stick and had no problems...other than the extra time it took just to get the thing moving smoothly in 1st gear...lol.

So really is more of an issue of how fast you can learn, and making it as simple and easy as possible. If you have never ridden a motorcycle before, I would not reccomend getting an FJR as your begining bike either...but it does not mean it is wrong, just that picking a smaller bike makes more sense.

KM

3.5 hp minibike 8yrs old..
I love the FJR I don't think I will ever want anything else!

Yep...started on the ole Briggs and Stratton also. I really loved riding that little thing. Although it did not seem that little at the time. I broke the pull rope one day and thought I was going to go crazy before I found a replacement and could ride again. Not really that different from how I react today when the ride is down!

I love the FJR also, I don't think I will ever Need anything else!

1st bike: (1949 model)

49hummer.jpg

2nd bike: (1947 model)

1941_hd_wld_left_lg.jpg

3rd bike: (1950 model)

bmwr512c.gif

(just representative photos, of course :( -- all were purchased used)

1986 - 1982 Yamaha Seca 550

1989 - 1983 Honda V45 Sabre

1997 - 1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200 (still have)

2009 - 2008 FJR 1300A

I don't think I could pick a favorite. I have great memories from all them and I think each one was just right for me at the time. Cost would have been they only thing preventing me from starting on an FJR. I don't notice the extra weight much at all and even the 550 went plenty fast enough for me to get hurt on.