First bike.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is one of those "it depends" answers. It is a big, expensive and somewhat top heavy bike with a big engine. If you are a decent size and can handle the 650+ weight without dropping it and do not expect to be a hooligan on it you probably are OK. I would be suggest a used Ninja 500 to start as they are OK to drop and get your skills down well, it is cheaper to fix

Wish I'd taken pics of the ole bikes:

Vespa-150

BSA B-31 1954 350cc (Wow! hooked line & sinker)

BSA Goldstar

Royal Enfield Bullet 350

Norton Commando 750 (to come home to after lonely sea-voyages)

Kz-900 (welcome to the USA in 1977)

Honda CB 750F

KZ Concours 1000 (what an old workhorse)

Suzi Maurader 800 & Honda Interceptor

Yama R-6 (strictly track)

FJR ( True love at last, even if it took 38 years of waiting!) plus

Goldwing Trike ( I know-I know! but it's fun for 2) :unsure:

1977 CB 550F1979 XS 1100SF -stolen

1980 XS 850G

20 years off bikes for "life stuff"

2004 FJR1300
It takes a special person to embrace the FJR as a first bike. Kudos to him, if he can do that.

Like Wheaton, I took 20yrs off for "life stuff" but unlike Wheaton, all my bikes were purchased. I didn't steal any of them. :rolleyes:

Pre-1977, two small pit bikes that my Dad built.

1977 Yamaha FS1E Sport Moped

1978 Honda CB 200

2003 Yamaha VStar 650

2004 Yamaha VStar 1100

2005 Yamaha FJR1300 (2003 model)

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

2007 Yamaha TTR125

2009 BMW G 650GS

The FJR was the first bike I was attracted to, however I did not want my first bike to be a new bike...internet reading suggested used. So I learned on a 1992 Concours, same style and close in size. Only thing I could find under $4k at the time.

But it really depends on the riders confidence and size in being able to handle any large bike over 500lbs and 100hp. (as a first bike) (lot of risk on any, but on top of the line performers- a bigger risk)

After a year, as I planned; then I got the FJR, my first love.

My first bike was a Sears mini bike 1967, I was 7. Then my friend got a Honda mini trail. Wow that thing had gears, suspension and everything. All I had to do has moe 1500 lawns to get one, then I got my FJR. Oh wait I forgot about the Yamahas,Suzukis,Husky's, some kaws, in between. Mostly Yamahas. When I was growing up I had a friend who always had what we considered weird bikes like Montesas,Bultaco'sHodakos,Puchs,Osas,did I spell that right,because we rode jap bikes. That was the era. But looking back those were some really cool rides. My off road bike currently is a TM300 XC. Not KTM TM300. That's a fun ride. All three of my boys ride Yamahas. If you need parts for the Yamahas their easy to get. Not the TM.

My first was a 70's vintage two stroke Yamaha enduro 100cc.

My first street bike was about a decade later, a V65 Magna. I only had it a 3 years before having to sell it, but oh the stories.

20 years later, being a born again virgin due to the abstinence, the used 2004 FJR I bought in '07 is my first bike.

Can I play too?

'67 - - '67 Yamaha 180 In Navy in Hawaii. Only new bike that I bought.

'71 - - '65 Triumph Bonnie 650 TT Learned to wrench on motorcycles with this one

'72 - - '71 HD Sportster kickstart Traded a car for it. Definitely not a girl's bike! Hated the thing and sold it in a few months for a nice profit.

'76 - - '74 BMW R90 First nice ride. Sold it when I moved to Alaska in '79

30 years goes by lost in the family fog. Two sons finish college and join the real world. Fog clears.

'09 - - '06 Honda Sabre Decided to ride again and got this baby for a great price. Sold to a nice Canadian two months ago.

'09 - - '07 FJR Thought I wanted another Beemer but came to my senses and fell in love with this bad boy. Stay tuned. ;)

My first bike eh? I remember it well...1969 Yamaha 50

1969Yamaha50.jpg

The rope looped around the on the left handgrip? Well, my folks told me if it broke they weren't gonna fix

it so I'd better take care of it, when the throttle cable broke I never told them I just "fixed" it, took a little

getting used to pulling a rope with the left hand for the throttle...but hey when you are 9 years old it's easy to

adapt.