First impressions of the "06 models

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawinter

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
I saw and sat on the two new FJR models this morning.

I really like the new darker blue on the A model. It almost looked black

and will probably be very hard to keep clean.

The AE was what it is, I really want to ride one and find out for myself.

the guy manning the booth hasn't had a chance to ride one either so he

could give me no further information.

As for the body style the motorcycle looks more angular in appearance

to me.

The adjustable fairing looks like it should work, it's adjustable by removing screws

and repositioning a moveable damper.

I was not able to find out about the seat but frankly it looks very uncomfortable.

it seemed very flat with a two inch jump to the pillion which added to the angular look.

There is a removable plate on the handlebar risers to adjust that.

They would not let me near it with tool's to spearamint.

I did like the FJR badge on the side.

The W for the windshield is redesigned also.

All that said I am not quite sure I'm ready for a new one just yet.

If the AE is all I expect it to be and Yamaha releases one here in the States

In that awesome Desert Sand color I would beat feet to the dealer and give them

my money.

Untill the it's the old '03 dinosaur for me.

Larry

Hey Larry, where were the 06 models you checked out? Was there a show in your neck of the woods? Just curious. Painman. <><

I really like the new darker blue on the A model. It almost looked blackand will probably be very hard to keep clean.
Now I really can't wait for my ordered 06. I'm not even going to worry about keeping it clean..

Thanks for eval.

I really like the new darker blue on the A model. It almost looked blackand will probably be very hard to keep clean.
Now I really can't wait for my ordered 06. I'm not even going to worry about keeping it clean..

Thanks for eval.
Ditto on the 06A I have on order.

A clean bike is a sure sign of too much time parked in the garage!

Where were these bikes that you saw? Good grief WHEN is March gunna get here...this waitinn izz killinn me! Just because my new hip won't allow me to ride until March...no matter..I want my '06 A! Whaaaaa! At least I could park her in my nice warm "toy room" and drool over her with a good jhurmunn bier or 2...or 3...when the snow izz flyinn. This way all I can look at is, among others, my handsome old '74 BMW R75/6; really need the dark blue FJR to put some visual balance in the room! LOL! DFO :D

I saw these and many others at the Cycle World show this weekend in Denver Colorado.

Sat on many and given a choice would still have a FJR

I 'finally' got to sit on a '06 today at the International Motorcycle Show in Denver. Very nice! I really like the blue color and I normally prefer lighter colors.

I was trying to find out about the 'tick' issue, but those working the booth were not very knowledgeable or helpful...

I can't wait for my bike to arrive.... I'm #1 on the list at my local dealer :drinks:

For you guy's at the Colorado show did Yamaha have any demo rides? And if so, was the FJR 1300A available to ride? And if so, any riding impressions? Thanks, Painman. :erm:

I was trying to find out about the 'tick' issue, but those working the booth were not very knowledgeable or helpful...
Buy a YES plan and never frett over the "tick" issue again. It is just not worth the agony. Enjoy your new bike. It will be a great one.

For you guy's at the Colorado show did Yamaha have any demo rides? And if so, was the FJR 1300A available to ride? And if so, any riding impressions?
No rides @ CO. In fact, I'm not aware of any IMS shows doing rides...

A couple of observations to add regarding the `06es: The stock seat is much improved. Even with the 'step' up to the passenger seat that many have been concerned about, there's still plenty of room to wiggle around on the seat - even for my 6' 4" (34" inseam) frame. The seat is wider, flatter, and most important of all, firmer. Finally, the new blue shows scratches like CRAZY. You could even see rag wipe marks. The clean freak owners are gonna HATE this bike...

Hey Uncle Bud,

I have the same concern. I loved the 04' & 05' FJR's I rode at Lake George Rally but I can't see spending a hard earned $15K for a bike that may have to get recalled over this issue. I think I'm going to wait and see if anyone else who buys one has a problem and wait for the 07' or a left over 06'.

I have a 01' B12S which has been as steady as a rock! Never a problem.

Good Luck!

I would seriously doubt any recall for the FJR. Yamaha, while publicly not admitting or stating policy concerning "the tick", has been repairing the engines. The percentage seems to hover around 7%, but there isn't any hard data to support that figure. Supposedly, the new engines have a slightly larger valve stem clearance which would allow better lubrication for those on the "tight side" of acceptable tolerance. Nobody knows if this is the fix, but evidently Yamaha is attempting to solve the issue.

I agree with Bike Effects, if you want one, buy it and enjoy it as with the rest of the owners. The Y.E.S. is cheap enough insurance to cover any failure, and you'd know (At least most would put 20K miles before 5 years are up.) if there was a problem well before that plan expired.

Every bike has it's "niggles", from high speed wobble to excessive engine heat to leaking or failing final drives to ABS brake failures. It doesn't mean we have to accept everything the manufacturers present to the buying public, but whether or not we perceive the odds to be worth it.

Some of us are riding our FJRs and smiling....lots of smiling. :D Aaaaannnnd, you meet the nicest people on an FJR!

Last edited by a moderator:
IKarp, the Yamaha site lists displays and demo rides at all the IMS shows. Looks like no demo rides were in CO. The show in San Jose near where we live looks like it will have demo's. Hope to have a chance to ride the FJR as well as look. Thanks, Painman. ;)

IKarp, the Yamaha site lists displays and demo rides at all the IMS shows. Looks like no demo rides were in CO. The show in San Jose near where we live looks like it will have demo's. Hope to have a chance to ride the FJR as well as look. Thanks, Painman. ;)
Give me that link, Sir!

Bike Effects, I'm having trouble inserting quotes much less adding a link. But here goes, www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/model/home/180/0/home.aspx. In other words the Yamaha bike site. Then look at "Displays & Demo's" at the lower left corner of the sports bike page. Then click on "See Schedule" in the same box. Then scroll down and see December 16- 18, 2005, San Jose IMS. The Demo's schedule is on the 17th and 18th only. Not Friday. I will be working the Christian Motorcyclists Association Helmet and Leather Check as you come in the building Friday and Saturday. Hope this helped. I'm still learning this danged computer almost. Painman. <>< :bigeyes:

Tick or No Tick... I'm buying a new FJR1300A. I agree that a "YES" plan is a good investment for this bike. I plan to RIDE IT, and if it does 'break' I will hope that Yamaha stands behind their product.

Regarding the color... I figure if I put enough crap on the bike (farkles) the color won't matter much anyway.... :)

I'm thinking about adding the European 'stripes' on the fairing sides with white reflective tape in addition to black reflective tape on the rear of the saddlebags. I like to be seen.

I'm having trouble inserting quotes much less adding a link.
Painman, when you quote, press the quote button again at the end to close and seal the quote.

It should look something like this; {QUOTE}I'm having trouble inserting quotes much less adding a link.{/QUOTE}

That works for most buttons. After you press a button once a "/" will apear on the button for the closing.

For a link, press the "https://" button, insert address, hit "OK" in popup, enter name (i.e. clicky), and hit "OK" again.

Bike Effects, I'm having trouble inserting quotes much less adding a link. But here goes, www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/model/home/180/0/home.aspx. In other words the Yamaha bike site. Then look at "Displays & Demo's" at the lower left corner of the sports bike page. Then click on "See Schedule" in the same box. Then scroll down and see December 16- 18, 2005, San Jose IMS. The Demo's schedule is on the 17th and 18th only. Not Friday. I will be working the Christian Motorcyclists Association Helmet and Leather Check as you come in the building Friday and Saturday. Hope this helped. I'm still learning this danged computer almost. Painman. <>< :bigeyes:
It is here:

Show Schedule