First Long Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nels Erickson

Reaction score
Well, this is my first ride report so bear with me.

For a long while I've wanted to do a really long trip both to test myself and see what the FJR could do when put to the test. So this past June I set out on a 2600 mile ride out to my grandparent's hobby farm in Virginia. Along the way I was able to also visit a few friends who I hadn't seen in a while and also get a chance to see a bit of the country. Because of schedules and timing, I spent a fair bit of the trip on super-slab just making time, but I've included a few pics from places where I actually remembered to snap a picture and there was something scenic to look at.

Day 1 - Minneapolis, MN to South Bend, IL - 560 miles

I left holy shit early so that I would miss rush hour in Chicago. So by 5:30am I was on the road and headed east. Just past Hudson, WI I ran into some of the thickest fog I think I've ever ridden through. Wet too, I continually had to keep wiping off the helmet visor so I could see. Once the day actually started, it was a great day of riding with pretty decent temps. I was chasing a rain storm and finally caught up to it just after Madison, WI. A quick stop to put on the rain suit and I was back on my way. Just past Rockford, IL the storm was past, tho I could still see it to the NE of me. I took a chance and shed the suit, but didn't need it the rest of the day. Hit Chicago about 1:30pm and aside from some construction traffic, sailed through without any issue. Traffic was light enough that the tollway became my own private game of Pole Position, and I definately appreciated the nimbleness and speed that the FJR can throw down when needed. Got in to South Bend by 4pm. Before this leg, my longest day had been 350 miles. Thanks to a new (to me) Corbin seat and LD Comfort Shorts (thanks for the tip guys!) I not only wasn't sore, but could have easily put on another 100 miles.

Day 2 - South Bend, IL to Pittsburg, PA - 360 miles

Left early again, so that I could get into Pitt by early afternoon. Meeting a friend of mine to hang out for the weekend and attend a Summer Solstice party with some of her friends out at their farm. Travel was uneventful and boring. No rain, and Ohio is flat. I was worried about the reputation that Ohio has for their law enforcement being both militant and prolific, yet I was able to blast through at 80-85mph pretty much the whole way. Ohio still hasn't entered the 21st century so the I-Pass I borrowed from a friend didn't work and had to pay the toll the old fashioned way. Arrived in Pitt by 1pm for lunch before heading out to the farm. Had a blast at the Solstice party, pagans know how to throw down and the farm was a magical place.

P1010003.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010015.jpg

The next day after the party, my friend and I went and toured Fallingwater, Frank Lloyd Wright's most famous house. This is truly an amazing place that is not to be missed if you're in the Pittsburg area. Words and pictures can't really do it justice at all.

P1010054.jpg

That night we toured Pittsburg a bit, and feeling the need to repent from our pagan activities the night before, we went to church...

P1010070.jpg

Now this is MY kind of Church. The Church Brew Works is a great restaurant/brewery housed in an old Catholic church in downtown Pittsburg. Great food and beer in a very unique setting.

P1010067.jpg

Day 5 - Pittsburg, PA to Warrenton, VA - 270 miles

An easy ride down to my grandparents place in Warrenton. Nice scenic roads once I got off the turnpike, blasting through 3 states (Maryland, West Virginia and Virginia) in about an hour. Good to see my grandparents again. Grandpa's 92 and finally to the point where he needs a wheelchair. Grandma had a stroke 8 years ago and doesn't recognize anyone (she's in a nursing home). Grandpa is a stubborn old goat who is desperately holding on to his little farm. It's a wonderful bit of property and always a delight to visit. Things haven't changed at all, and even after 38 years of being around, Grandpa has a few chores for me to do if I'm up for it. It seems like time doesn't touch his house, it's exactly the same as I remember it when I was a kid.

P1010084.jpg

Day 7 - Warrenton, VA to Pittsburg, PA (via Skyline Drive) - 350 miles

Staying with my friend in Pittsburg again on the way home, but taking the scenic route back there. I drop down to Swift Run, VA and enter the Shenandoah National Park to ride along Skyline Drive, the very northern tip of the Blue Ridge Highway. Perfect roads, perfect weather and perfect views. 65 miles of 25-35 mph corners between 3000-3200 ft above sea level. Passed by 4 deer close enough I could have pet them. Luckily they were already along the road and happily munching on folliage. Seems they have figured out cars/bikes and that if they hang along the side of the road everyone gets along fine. At one of the lookout points where I've stopped, I hear a familiar noise and sure enough another 2005 FJR1300 pulls up next to mine and I get a chance to meet Fastlane Freddy. We chat up for a while about the ride, my trip, the forums, gear, our bikes and motorcycling in general. He's going south and I'm going north, so we eventually part ways, but what a wonderful coincidence encounter. In hindsight, I didn't even think about taking a picture which I'm kicking myself for now.

P1010098.jpg

P1010103.jpg

P1010109.jpg

Day 8 - Pittsburg, PA to Detroit, MI - 300 miles

Hit the road to head up and visit some friends in Detroit. Ohio is still flat. I've become convinced that the Big 3 must prohibit the city of Detroit from repairing their roads so they have a place to test the suspension of their vehicles. Hands down the worst roads I've ever ridden on. Nasty seam bumps, pot holes and broken up cement. Aside from there there is debris everywhere along the sides of the roads, I can only imagine vibrated off from the nasty driving conditions. Couple major bits of road construction going on as well, but apparently to the barriers, not the actual road surfaces. But still taking a 3 lane road and necking it down to 1. Ugh. Get there in time for a great Vietnamese dinner and conversation until 3am. Not leaving early tomorrow...

Day 9 - Detroit, MI to Madison, WI - 420 miles

I-94 from Detroit to Chicago. The less said about this road the better. Flat, boring, in need of repair and also necked down from 3 lanes to 1. My bike is hot enough when I'm going 80, it's an oven when I'm in first gear and doing 5mph. Hit Chicago at 5pm, it's Saturday but still not the best idea I've ever had. More traffic than I'd like and slower than I'd like. Survive due to mesh suit and LD Comfort Shorts. Finally escape Chicago to hit a little rain just before Rockford, IL again. Rainsuit to the rescue. Give in at a travel stop and have McDonalds because I need to get off the bike for a bit. Finally make it to the hotel at about 8pm. Long day and definately feeling the ride today. Sleep like the dead.

Day 10 - Madison, WI to Minneapolis, MN - 320 miles

Take the scenic route home, cutting across WI to Lacrosse, then up along the Mississippi river on the MN side. Lots of wonderful back roads and another perfect day. The rain helped clear out the humidity and it's nice and cool in the morning. The only down side is the wind. STRONG wind out of the NW, so I'm either in a 40mph headwind or crosswind the whole way home. Still I make good time and am able to surprise my wife. She's out with friends of ours at the Pride rally in downtown Mpls. Phone a friend who secretly guides me to where they are, and sneak up behind her to grab her ass.

The perfect ending to a great ride.

Nice report and glad you like the bike it i nly gets better.

Now for the real part, If I were you I would be talking to grandpa about purchasing that little farm and keep it exactly the same. So you will have your own retreat in the future. If you already haven't purchased

Nice report and glad you like the bike it i nly gets better.

Now for the real part, If I were you I would be talking to grandpa about purchasing that little farm and keep it exactly the same. So you will have your own retreat in the future. If you already haven't purchased

Thanks for the write-up -- I have a gal in Minneapolis and am considering riding the FJR up there from Richmond.

Thanks for the write-up -- I have a gal in Minneapolis and am considering riding the FJR up there from Richmond.
Holler if you get up this way, there are some nice rides in the area, and I'd be happy to point you toward a couple, or lead you there.

It was pleasure meeting you. I thought the same thing about the picture just a few miles down the road.

Great report. Your grandpa's farm looks like a fantastic place to get away.

Fred

Latest posts