First Ride - Impressions - 06A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitsdad

I'm confused - Just ask my Wife.
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I simply can't believe that my wait is over. It really is interesting - I now can walk into my garage, and that vacant spot has Wonky sitting in it.

Wonky was delivered without the bags. After 3 weeks of delay waiting for them, they delivered Wonky without the bags. Ted at SouthBay Motors in National City was not happy. But that's ok, I took delivery anyway. And I get to do a nice 200 RT ride next Friday to get them installed. (Always a silver lining, eh? )

Ted called me at 8:45 am Saturday, said it was on the truck. My wife Jeannette, 19 year old son Kyle and yours truly loaded into the minivan, and started the drive - with traffic it was almost 3 hours. (103 miles)

Arrived, found Ted, got the paperwork done, wrote a check. Wonky wasn't ready yet, so we left and grabbed a sandwich.

Upon our return, Wonky was parked out front, waiting for me - and under a very sunny and breezy California sky, that color is just amazing. Shadowed panels look almost black - and the blue under sunlight is deep - almost liquid. You should have seen the look on Jet's face - I could tell she was falling in love with it just based upon the color.

So - I get ran through the pre-delivery process, did a practice lift up onto the center stand, went through the controls, etc. At this point I realize that I'm unable to pronounce 2 of the 5 vowels while speaking - the bale of cotton in my mouth is getting in the way. as is the cup of peanut butter stuck to the top of my mouth. I'm not sure if I should go forward with this, or if I should just pee my pants and puddle on the macadam.

So the sales guy that's delivering it to me asks " Say - how long has it been since you've ridden a bike? " and my reply is "Well, I, ahh. did the MSF course last June - but prior to that it's been 30 years" - so he stares at me for a few seconds - and says " OK - why don't you get suited up and I'll roll your bike off our lot and into the street for you" (I think I scared him - I imagine he was thinking about me hopping on that beauty and slamming into the rows of new bikes lined up outside)

So - I put on my Hi-Viz Stitch -grabbed the brain bucket, and followed him, Wonky, my wife and son out to the street.

I climbed on board, somehow remembered "FINE" and Wonky started up - she said "Hi !!"

SouthBay is on a commercial cul-de-sac, and being Saturday, most of the offices were closed. This was a good thing.

I got sorted - clutch in - toe down - 1st gear indicated - fed gas - engaged clutch - and rolled away - upshifted into 2, headed for the turn-around, and smoothly rolled around the end of the street.

That minor 30 year break between bikes had never happened -

UNBELIEVEABLE !!

I pulled up next to the wife and son, and said "See you at home !!" and away I went !!

IMPRESSIONS:

Well- the last bike I owned was a 1974 Honda CB750K4 - and I was very young and very skinny-

1. Seat: Lower position was excellent for my inseam length (32"). I found it to be very comfortable - but will have to keep checking on this with longer rides. I was only on it for 2 hours.

2. Acceleration: What can I say ? UNBEEFFINGLIEVABLE! OMG!!! YEAH BABY !!

3. Brakes: Very touchy - I found that gentle pressure on the brake lever was all I needed. This may change as they break in- They do instill confidence.

4. Wind noise - lots of wind noise - I don't remember it being that loud 30 years ago !! Earplugs are a must from now on. It may be my helmet.

5. NO WIND PRESSURE !! I moved the windshield into the full up position- and I had no positive or negitive pressure against me. Neutral. Comfortable.

6. NO HEAT!! I looked for this - about 12 miles of my slabbing was spent at very slow speeds - 1st and 2nd gear - and I could not feel any heat from the engine. Temp guage increased by 1 bar. Fairing flaps were inboard position. Ambient temps between 65F and 85F.

7. FIT AND FINISH: Excellent !! I've now had time to look it over very closely - and F&F is beautiful.

Comments: I can't imagine what Wonky will be like following the break in period - when I have full rev's available. Something to think about. :D Need to check which positon the handlebars are in - I'd like to move them back a bit. They apparently come pre-installed.

Hi-Viz Aerostitch - GET ONE! I was amazed at how cages stayed away from me - it was like I had this 'space bubble' around me - no one followed closely, I was very visable !!

Rather than burn up bandwidth, this link is to my SmugMug gallery -

Wonky Comes Home!

(Kyle took all the pics - Thanks Bud !! )

Take a gander, if you choose!

Well - I get the impression that my posting count will slow down - now I have something to do !!

And to you waiters still out there- MadMike2's comments hold true!! I was literally SCREAMING into my helmet just 7 miles into the ride !! YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE THIS MOTORCYCLE!!! Hang Tough - think nice thoughts - it will get here !!

Well - I'm gonna go ride. WOO HOOOO !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! Do your cheeks still hurt from grinning sooooo much? No matter how many times we tell people, they just don't understand how quickly the "waiting-pain" is going to fade into oblivion, hence all the "waiter-baiting". Others just can't believe our experience, but now you are a believer, you've been converted!

Brakes: They should get better once they have a chance to bed-in. Did you know you should do that? During the breakin sessions, (I went to a large, vacant parking lot) do some "serious" stops from 15, 25, 35,& 45 mph, with fronts, then rears. Get them hot and let them cool to normal a few times. In fact, I did this then used mine to the point of engaging the ABS, that way I knew what the limits were and how ABS feels when engaged. Disclaimer:If you're not comfortable with doing this on the front, at least explore the limits of front braking. It "will" save your body and bike at some point.

Wind noise: We were hoping that the new nosepice and windshield arrangement would eliminate this, but evidently not. Wear earplugs! A British Motorcycle group, through one of their Universities (I have lost the article, I think its in MCN) did a study that regardles of bike, helmet, etc., the wind/road noise @ 70 mph is around 100+ decibels. That's enough to do ear damage after 2 hours.

It sounds like the new design has all but eliminated the dreaded "head buffet", so that's good news.

Again, congratulations.....now go put on the sliders before your next ride.

P.S. Great pictures.

good luck to all ............. the cagers are not going to have a problem seeing you with that loud color get up .

+1 on the use of ear protection.

Congratulations Hal, you have definitely taken the right approach getting suited up with good gear. Just take it easy for a while, its been 30 years since your last ride. As you have probably felt by now, Japanese products have come a long way in the power department, but its reassuring to know everything else has come along with it to compensate.

Yes the FJR is an addictive bike that you will be piling miles on, and on and on......

Enjoy the ride and hopefully we'll see you in SoCal next month. :clap:

After looking at your pictures, it appears the rear flap / licence plate holder on the 06s are a few inches longer than previous.

Nice bike.

After looking at your pictures, it appears the rear flap / licence plate holder on the 06s are a few inches longer than previous.Nice bike.
Ya know, I was commenting on this to my son at delivery time -

also take note of the change on the front end - the fender, fairing bottom and radiator - this may have eliminated the necessity for the fenda extenda -

And Thanks.

Kaitsdad, congrats on the new ride the wait is over. It sounds like immediate surgery is required to remove that permanent grin madmike2 has talked to us for so long about. Take your time out there getting use to the FJR after that long break in your riding time. Be safe, PM. <>< :D

Kaitsdad

Great read about your introduction to Wonky.

Nice pics too...need to see your ride reports next.

Way to go!

Did anyone else notice how the rear (mud flap reflector) is no longer a "bolt on" addition to the mud flap? With (at least) the 2003, you could just unbolt it and the resulting flap was a little shorter. This would require hacking to remove.

re: the hi-viz Stich

Don't bet on it getting everyone to notice you. Not only have bikes changed in the past 30 years, so have drivers. They are much less skilled, more distracted, and willing to intentionally take you out if it means they can save 45 seconds on their arrival time.

Congratulations on your new set of wheels and thanks for all the nice photos of the new 2006 FJR.

Enjoy it and be safe!

SMC

+1 there Fencer.

This is why I never name bikes. Might come up with something like this that requires explanation, possibly embarassing.

no really KD, Congrats.. sounds like you're in a little slice of heaven..

Git to yer farkling!

Russ