First Ride - Impressions - 06A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pics, nice write up. Somebody getting a bike from South Bay needs to get Ted in one of the pics.

Also, even though this bike will keep up with many of the liter sports bikes, please take it easy as it will quickly get you in over your head especially in this early stage of ridin!

:D WONKY !!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

What the hell you thinking.... thats almost as bad as naming your bike.. FRANK :haha: :haha: :haha:

Take it easy newbie... and congrats :D

Sounds great, like to read about these 06's. What does your tach read at 70 mph in 5th?

re: the hi-viz Stich
Don't bet on it getting everyone to notice you. Not only have bikes changed in the past 30 years, so have drivers. They are much less skilled, more distracted, and willing to intentionally take you out if it means they can save 45 seconds on their arrival time.
Bounce, thanks so much for your concern.

I ride like I'm NOT wearing it - and I never take for granted that soccer mom in the tank is NOT going to turn in front of me just because I'm wearing Hi-Viz.

I really don't want to do the windshield dance.

Thanks for your warning, I appreciate it. And you are so right about drivers being more distracted. I see it all the time.

But I gotta tell ya - I went out for a quick 15 miles this afternoon - and I'm heading east on Chapman Avenue, and this hardly with a couple on it, beanie helmets, and raised handlebars go by the other way - And I started laughing my a&% off because you should have seen the look on their faces - it was like "Holy Mother of God, do you see what I see? "

Man, I chuckled about that all the way home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hal,

Let me chime in with my congrats as well. As others have said, take a little time to let your skills come back. I'm in the same boat as you, but only a 13 year hiatus in my case. ;)

Great pics BTW!

But I gotta tell ya -  I went out for a quick 15 miles this afternoon -  and I'm heading east on Chapman Avenue,  and this hardly with a couple on it,  beanie helmets, and raised handlebars go by the other way -  And I started laughing my a&% off because you should have seen the look on their faces -  it was like "Holy Mother of God,  do you see what I see? " 
Man,  I chuckled about that all the way home.
I'm glad you got the Hi-Viz yellow. I've been considering a 'Stitch and mulling over the Hi-Viz Yellow. Your pictures show the color is not absolutely awful out in public.

Kaitsdad, I'm almost afraid to ride with you on one of the local rides. Not because of your skills but because I might be too jealous from looking at that new Blue color. I saw it at a bike show and the color alone almost made me want to trade in my '05. Seeing it outside in the bright sunlight might be more than I can bare! ;)

Congrats on the new ride and hopefully we'll be seeing you out on the road soon.

KD, thanks for the ride report and congrats on WONKY! Worth the wait, eh?

Also, thanks for the Fenda tip. Looking at pic #24, seems the bottom edge of the front fender is still a ways above the bottom of the radiator. I think I'd still go for the extender.

How'd that moon suit feel in 86 degree heat? Too busy smiling to even notice?

You lucky dog you!

re: the hi-viz Stich
Don't bet on it getting everyone to notice you. Not only have bikes changed in the past 30 years, so have drivers. They are much less skilled, more distracted, and willing to intentionally take you out if it means they can save 45 seconds on their arrival time.
Bounce, thaks so much for your concern.

I ride like I'm NOT wearing it - and I never take for granted that soccer mom in the tank is NOT going to turn in front of me just because I'm wearing Hi-Viz.

I really don't want to do the windshield dance.

Thanks for your warning, I appreciate it. And you are so right about drivers being more distracted. I see it all the time.

But I gotta tell ya - I went out for a quick 15 miles this afternoon - and I'm heading east on Chapman Avenue, and this hardly with a couple on it, beanie helmets, and raised handlebars go by the other way - And I started laughing my a&% off because you should have seen the look on their faces - it was like "Holy Mother of God, do you see what I see? "

Man, I chuckled about that all the way home.
Back in 2001 (or there a bouts), when the Hi-Viz was still a pretty new product, some of the riders in the NWPassage Rally experienced some interesting courtesies. That was the year when all the wild fires were blazing throughout multiple western states and taking out hundreds of thousands of acres.

Leg 2 of the rally was from Calgary, Canada to Boise, Idaho. It took everyone right through the middle of some of the biggest fires. At one point we passed right by the huge tent village erected to support all the fire fighters from all over the country.

The riders in the Hi-Viz Stiches often found locals letting them take cuts to the front of any line (gas, food, etc.) because they were thought to be fire fighters! :rolf: :haha:

Just one Question
"Wonky"????? :huh:
Could be worse...

My son has already picked a name for my bike.

In his best LotR impression, he calls my 06 "My Precious". lol

And just think.. Every time you get on "Wonky"? (I don't feel so bad about namin' Edna now!) You're gonna have that big ol' grin plastered all over your face :D :D :D

Enjoy and be safe!

:jester:

KaitsDad,

Congratulations on your new ride! Beautiful bike & great color

And go easy on that throttle, y'hear? ;)

Stef

Hey, at least he named it androgynously...  He could have named it something gay, like:  'Frank'. ;)   :D
Ah yes, this is true :lol: Wonder where that guy is? Still on the willbers install maybe? :haha:

:jester:

Sooo, heat not an issue out there in the fine Southland traffic gridlock? I got out on mine last night in the lo 70s and felt nada from engine heat. On my '03 it was apparent at those temps while moving rapidly. Maybe Yamahaha's egginnears really have fixed the problem?

Oh for those poor people who are still waiters...yup they ARE very nice bikes! DFO ;)

Sooo, heat not an issue out there in the fine Southland traffic gridlock? I got out on mine last night in the lo 70s and felt nada from engine heat. On my '03 it was apparent at those temps while moving rapidly. Maybe Yamahaha's egginnears really have fixed the problem?
Oh for those poor people who are still waiters...yup they ARE very nice bikes! DFO ;)
designeraccd, I haven't noticed it yet.

I'm using it for my commute tomrrow - so I'll have 80 miles of traffic to check for any heat.

Let you know !!