First ride on my "new" FJR and I get stung by a Yellow Jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuiceMcGoose

Reaction score
I can't believe it. Other than the 5 mile test ride two days ago today was the first time I have ever rode a full fairing bike. Now I am sitting here waiting for the baking soda to dry on my knee and my head full of that powerful antihistamine that makes you sleepy.

I got my '05 FJR ABS Wed. 8340 miles and absolutely no ticking. Went in today and got the registration and tabs. Fresh Rotella synthetic and filter. Ready to ride. This area is lousy with Yellow Jackets. Evil Flying Death Monkeys. Easily the most aggressive venomous flying insect. As I get going among the things going through my mind is at least I will be better protected form the Death Monkeys. I rode through a swarm of DM's about 20 years ago and got stung about 4 times. Soon I realize that my legs aren't that well protected. Maybe 40 minutes into the ride I feel a pain in my knee and instinctively brush at it. Sure enough, I'm stung. Dang. Better get home and brake out the medicine. How ironic is that? This is my 62nd motorcycle and my first tourer and I get stung on my first ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toecutter suffered the same malady. He had opened his jacket and a bee stung him....hard way to find out one is allergic!

ATGATT is your friend!

Damn! Sorry to hear aboot the sting an related allergy Jucie ..But..

Did ya run up to seven Bars an wonder if ya was "over heating? Or was the Vibration so intense ya didn't notice? Or was the sidestand defective?

If ya been followin' along lately ya have to notice this scoot is a shit sack wrapped in plastic..I bet if you was on a perfect machine it wouldn't have happened..

I'd sue Yamaha..

:jester:

Damn! Sorry to hear aboot the sting an related allergy Jucie ..But.. Did ya run up to seven Bars an wonder if ya was "over heating? Or was the Vibration so intense ya didn't notice? Or was the sidestand defective?

If ya been followin' along lately ya have to notice this scoot is a shit sack wrapped in plastic..I bet if you was on a perfect machine it wouldn't have happened..

I'd sue Yamaha..

:jester:
Fortunately I'm not allergic. One sting can kill an allergic person if not treated soon enough. It gets worse each time they get stung. I have gotten stung at least once a year over the last 21 years I have lived in this house.

ARGGGH! I HATE freakin bees! Yeah ATGATT can help but not always. I was riding my Blackbird once and saw a UFI (unidentified flying insect) in my line and then felt it hit my chest. I figured it was dead but minutes later right on the outside of my helmet faceshield I see a wasp clinging on. That startled me a bit but I was calm enough to reach up and flick it off...except it didn't flick off...and that's the moment I realized it wasn't on the OUTSIDE of my faceshield it was on the INSIDE three inches from my unprotected eyes and face. :eek:

How fast can one bring a motorcycle to a full stop, rip off their helmet and toss it into the weeds along side the road? VERY FAST. I didn't get stung but man was my heart racing for the next ten minutes. I guess the little pecker flew away when I ripped off my helmet but I can tell you that I thoroughly inpected every nook and cranny of that helmet before putting it back on and still was waiting for that SOB to reappear into my line of sight on my way back home. My eyes hurt from rolling them around to the boundaries of my peripheral vision all the way back home.

BEES SUCK! :angry2:

First trip my wife took as pillion on the Feej, bee went down her jacket and stung her on the neck 4 minutes into a great canyon ride. Sort of ruined it for her. We headed home about 1/3rd of the way through to get some ice (for her) and some Dickel (for me).

W2

ARGGGH! I HATE freakin bees! Yeah ATGATT can help but not always. I was riding my Blackbird once and saw a UFI (unidentified flying insect) in my line and then felt it hit my chest. I figured it was dead but minutes later right on the outside of my helmet faceshield I see a wasp clinging on. That startled me a bit but I was calm enough to reach up and flick it off...except it didn't flick off...and that's the moment I realized it wasn't on the OUTSIDE of my faceshield it was on the INSIDE three inches from my unprotected eyes and face. :eek:
How fast can one bring a motorcycle to a full stop, rip off their helmet and toss it into the weeds along side the road? VERY FAST. I didn't get stung but man was my heart racing for the next ten minutes. I guess the little pecker flew away when I ripped off my helmet but I can tell you that I thoroughly inpected every nook and cranny of that helmet before putting it back on and still was waiting for that SOB to reappear into my line of sight on my way back home. My eyes hurt from rolling them around to the boundaries of my peripheral vision all the way back home.

BEES SUCK! :angry2:
:rofl: :lol:

Great story Silverhound!

62nd motorcycle?! Serious!?
Yea, I kept count. I usually have 2 to 4 at a time. Bought a '67 BSA Shooting Star 441 single early Jan. '71 as my first bike. I see something I want I get it. Not much self control. Right now I have a '83 Honda FT500 Ascot single, '00 Suzuki SV650 naked, '06 Kaw ZX-14 and the FJR.

I wonder if a Yellow Jacket can sting through Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar Pants? They look pretty safe.

I got stung twice this summer after being lucky for a long time. I was coming through Butte MT in heavy traffic and a bee got between my helmet and my temple. It hurt so bad f..... bad. It was hard to concentrating on driving. I quickly pulled over and took my helmet off. Luckly, I didn't swell much. The next one was down in CO by Breckenridge. I saw a bug come over the windshield and hit my glasses. Nothing happened, so I thought I was lucky this time. About 3 mins. later, I was stung in the thigh, which hurt like hell. Had a big red spot for a day.

sting, bing, ding

ya'll are bleedin' hearts

now them things want to MATE with me:

meshtex_06_LRG.jpg

Only been stung once. Years ago on a XS1100 with a full fairing. I must have been going at the perfect speed not to splat the thing on the screen. It rode the pressure wave over the screen, got sucked down by the downdraft and strait down my open collard jacket, into my tee shirt and stung me on the chest. Little Buzzzztard.