First Ride on Virgin Knee

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2017-11-26 First Ride on Virgin Knee

October 13 2017 I had a full knee replacement, right. Rehab hasn't gone as well as I expected, I have 2-3 KLICKS when the leg moves forward, and one very obnoxious KLACK on the return. The surgeon and two physical therapists say it will go away with time.. but for now it just suck.

So, at 44 days later, it's time to klick-klack and get on the bike. Just Ride.

Before hand, I practiced mounting the bike while on center stand then dismounting on side stand. The most difficult manuver is center stand, swinging the leg up and over the top box places alot of side pressure on the new joint.

HeeHee. I'm actually doing this thing...

Weapon of choice today is WABS, a DL650 Suzuki. At 72,374 she just have valves adjusted, a DL1000 shock installed.

So 3 miles into it,... Tears of Happiness. Not ashamed.

Decided to ride into Templeton, CA via back roads. Not sure how long I'll last, don't want to be caught too far from home should the knee start swelling.

It's late November, temps are in the high 60's F to mid 70's.

Entering Templeton, CA.

Note to riders.. .this is a good eatery.

Templeton is a curious mix of old and new, but with old school charm.

Yet another good steak house.

The old grainery; still in operation.

Hewitt Hardware, an icon. Inside it's jam packed.

The park; farmers market every Saturday.

Church.

https://courtneys-house.org - a place for developmentally challenged adults to learn skills. It's a restaurant.

Cool house and fire station.

Visual candy everywhere in Templeton.
Nic

Another shot of AJ Spurs.

An otherwise abandoned house used once every year for Haloween trickery.

North now into Paso Robles; The Pass of the Oaks and Whoville waits for you.

WABS is the perfect PT bike. On forward pegs, leg fully extended. On passenger pegs, at maximum to me flexion. On rider pegs, nice and roomy, much more than on an FJR. Bar risers and custom seat complete the package.

Northwest of Paso Robles, Naciamento Lake.

Looks like somebody 'failed to negotiate the corner!'.

Up to the lake then back-tracked a few miles to head further West.

Not like back East, but we do have *some* colors.

Many of the back roads are in a state of disrepair. Our liberal governor just raised gasoline taxes in the middle of the night with the promise of new roads.

And YES, a barn for Andrew, OrangevaleFJR.

Speaking of dead guys.. sorry Andrew, but you chose a permanent solution to a temporary problem, per ToeCutter. This is the Adeilaida cemetery. It's rumored to be haunted.

Of course the nuclear atom caught my attention. I wonder how he served, his job?

A very long time ago. This helps put things into proper persective.

His and Her's bathrooms!

TBC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking back at Wabs.

Outhouse(s) to the left, a 'waiting room to the right. It's not readily apparent how many folks are resting here visually. Yet the list is long, evidenced by names behind the glass.

There's an upper level too. I didn't walk it... too to far. Maybe later when fully healed. It's always good to have some reason to return.

This headstone cracked me up.. 'Not your average old Biddy'.

Wabs waits, impatiently.

One last look, and it's time to go. The best way to mount is pulling the leg up and directly over the seat. No side angles using that technique.

This is vineyard country. I don't like them. They are draining the aquafier faster than it can be filled. I will give them this; in fall they are pretty to look at.

A historical marker installed by E Clampus Vitus. TURBODAVE!

Check out the doors to the 'garage' area.

Along with grapes, olive trees are also being planted.

Many of the vineyards are run by major corporations and not the Mom and Pop image the industry presents. Multimillion dollar buisnesses who have essentially purchased the local governments and officials. On the other hand, this is the prettiest metal gate I've seen in a long time.

I rode 3 dirt roads this ride. Why? Because. I. Can.

Of course, even an FJR could take these roads!

This family has a good gig going on. They open for produce sales in the summer.

..and someone is very creative too. I like the little yellow trailer.

And check this race tractor out. Two V8's thunder through straight stacks and the chassis runs on narrow wheels to reduce friction.

Have you noticed the connecting rod wheel construction?

Where did all these con rods come from? How many engines did this artist kill to create the project?

Almost home now. One tree on the hill. The last one or perhaps first and only?

The last picture. This is a working barn, and is maintained. It's good to see some peeps show the old barns love.

My route.

Today was a Champion Day. The knee did just fine, too. I actually 'planted' the foot, purposely, to see what would happen. No problem. Truthfully, the lower back hurt more than the knee. It's weird though... when the leg is extended and boot on forward peg, I can feel the 'slop' in the knee joint. All in all, a stellar day.

Thanks for riding along!

Update. Day after a bit sore. PT tomorrow. My .02 for anyone contemplating full replacement? Really think it over. I underestimated the impact and recovery. I've broken me really good over the years.. achilles tendon, femur, 8 ribs, broken foot, kidney surgery, 2 knee surgeries, well 3 now. And this one has hurt the most and taken the longest to get to a marginally operational state.

I have 125 degree flexion (bend) which is excellent. I have nearly full extension too. Both of these take hours of PT in the shop and at home. The best PT of all though, is riding motobikes. I am grateful.

The click clack is not normal and I would be surprised if it went away. PM me if you know who manufactured the knee. That's one of the products that we make at my work.

Dave

I have 125-degree flexion (bend) which is excellent. I have nearly full extension too. Both of these take hours of PT in the shop and at home. The best PT of all though is riding motobikes. I am grateful.

Looking Good DC, I'm about 10 months ahead of you, only a little stiffness in the morning, Quads have finally strengthened considerably and i can go up several flights of stairs step over step with no problem.

The click-clack is not normal and I would be surprised if it went away. PM me if you know who manufactured the knee. That's one of the products that we make at my work.

Dave, I had some click-clack for a few months as well but once the swelling was gone the noise went away.

Seeing those pictures was special. The topography reminded me of the day before YFO, one of my most favorite riding days of all time.

I'm glad you are back in the saddle, Carver. You need to ride. I get it.

Had my left knee replaced 23 May, 2017 at the VA Hospital here in Seattle. Was walking with a cane by the end of June, over 130 degrees flexion and about -3 degrees from straight. Started short local rides the middle of July, my surgical team was not happy but I was. Lots of PT, twice a week for 90 minutes at VA and daily at home for 60 minutes. Takes a lot of work but the knee works great. Scheduled to have the right knee replaced March 21, 2018 and expect the same outcome. Surgery is easy, the rehab is where the work comes. I expect to be playing golf again by mid-summer next year and well on schedule to start some longer rides into Eastern Washington and Oregon.

DC,

Aboot 3 years ago I had both of my knees partially replaced. Lots of athletics and being overweight really abused mine. Also being overweight doesn't help, but it is what it is. I will occasionally have some clicking in mine, and the cold weather REALLY lets me know there's some metal in there. As well as setting off the metal detectors at some stores. Talk about getting odd looks when you set them off walking IN to a place. Keep plugging away with that PT you do at home and soon you'll be right as rain. Ice is your friend! Along with the E-Stim therapy, just not the Russian one. It kind of sucks...

Glad you're able to get out and get some miles in! I still haven't got brave enough to put a pillion on yet, but I'm fine with that.

SWMBO had her right knee replaced Wednesday. She's doing the work. She doesn't like it, and at times, she hates Coach Pants, but she's still doing the work, and that's all that matters. We're hoping for similar results as Carver. So far, so good....

SWMBO had her right knee replaced Wednesday. She's doing the work. She doesn't like it, and at times, she hates Coach Pants, but she's still doing the work, and that's all that matters. We're hoping for similar results as Carver. So far, so good....
Extension and Flexion. Extension and Flexion. The amount of work is incredible and painful. I keep thinking of a certain boxer..

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'
Muhammad Ali

-- The knee therapy and RR -- likin' it Don
smile.png

Actually found time to read the Ride Report. Three points:

1. According to the E Clampus Vitus plaque, the DuBost family were the pioneers and original settlers. Good that you snapped photos of some DuBost graves, including the non-average old biddy.

2. Sorry you don't like the vineyards. I drool over any Syrah that claims Paso Robles as its home.

3. And, no; most of us winos realize that grapes are Big Bidness despite bottles with kooky or subdued labels declaring otherwise.

Physical therapy is your friend; and I'm not the only one here with that message.

Latest posts