First SaddleSore 1000 ride report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mackeroni

Reaction score
Just returned from my week-long 3,050 mile get-away trip, and am happy to report that I completed my first SaddleSore 1000 on day one. I actually rode 1,017 miles from North Canton, Ohio to Melbourne, Florida in 17.5 hours. If you deduct the total 2.5 hours I was not riding, it averages out to 67.8 mph... pretty close to the 65 mph I had planned.

Highlights of the SaddleSore and the rest of the week:

1. Number One concern: Hitting a deer in the dark. Carcasses along the road served as a frequent reminder to watch the sides of the road as well as the road.

2. My butt felt pretty good in the Bill Mayer Saddle. I stood up and stretched from time to time...even did a few deep knee bends while riding. The MADCo throttle lock worked flawlessly.

3. Stopped 9 times for gas, food, water, smokes and coffee.

4. After riding a 1,000 mile day, the 400 mile days now seem like nothing!

5. Rode down to Key West. The ride was nice and all...but the Keys are overrated in my estimation. An endless stream of souvenir shops, liquor stores, bad motels and boat stores. Also bloody hot and very humid.

6. Duvall Street on Key West was...umm...interesting. I have never been to Bourbon Street in New Orleans, but I imagine it is about the same. Lots of partiers stumbling loudly from bar to bar to bar. More t-shirt stores. Lots of tits and tats on display. Some tatted tits.

7. Yes, I had my picture taken at the Southernmost Point marker...by a French tourist. Merci beaucoup, monsieur!

I had a minor 'incident' in the parking lot of the motel on my last night on the road. I was just coming to a stop, got too close to a curb and my left boot got pinched (very hard) between the curb and the shift lever. The impact pushed my foot back off the peg rather violently, causing the top of my boot to catch the shift lever and bend it back like a pretzel. I thought my foot was broken at first, but it felt just fine after awhile. I had enough tools along to do some creative pulling, twisting and standing on the shift lever to get it back in rideable condition. I want to thank the Yamaha design person (or team) that decided the shift lever should be constructed out of material that is rigid enough to perform it's function, but pliable enough to be bent out of shape, and back into shape without any apparent stress cracks. Well done! :clapping:

I spent idle moments during the week thinking about which IBA ride to do next. Circumnavigating the Great Lakes in 100 hours sounds interesting.

:D

Congratulations on your ride Mr. Mackeroni! Now the hard part, to get the paperwork submitted...

Congratulations. Welcome to the madness. You've just opened up a lot more options when you say 'I can get there in a day'.

Welcome to the club, and congrats!

I rode 748 miles this last Saturday, and with having done a few IBA runs now, it didn't seam like I had even been on the bike that long. I guess it is just a matter of perspective.

Congratulations Mackeroni!!! :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping:

Welcome to the monkey house! You'll never look at a road map the same way again. ;)

Gunny! to submitting your paperwork ASAP. If you don't send it now, you'll find it buried under a pile of papers 2 years from now wondering if it's still good. (BTW - As long as everything is still legible and your witness(es) are still available, there's no time limit on submission of an IBA ride.)

You might want to look at a BunBurner 1500 (1500 miles in 36hrs) or BunBurner Gold (1500 miles in 24hrs) as your next ride. Although, that Great Lakes ride looks tempting too. :D

Gunny! to submitting your paperwork ASAP. If you don't send it now, you'll find it buried under a pile of papers 2 years from now wondering if it's still good. (BTW - As long as everything is still legible and your witness(es) are still available, there's no time limit on submission of an IBA ride.)
Yes indeed, congratulations on your ride and (almost) new club membership. As they say, "the job's not done until the paperwork is finished". One more thing on submitting your paperwork in a timely manner. The thermal paper used for receipts can fade over time. Hate to see them look like they've been printed with invisible ink a year or two from now.

Latest posts