FJR 1300 - Gen 4 ( 2019 )

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeykash

Reaction score
I am keen to Purchase a FJR 1300 - Gen 4 ( 2019 ) Model selling for 26k. Will be Viewing it On Mon. Would like to sèek advice from Experience FJR Riders on what to Look Out during viewing. Thank You

FJR specific-
Ask for third key and lock set for top case, unless bike is already equipped with top case. Red key, if immobilizer equipped. (Dont know about Singapore) same for case liners (in some countries you get the liners with the bike, in others you have to purchase them)
Get a dealer to run the VIN to see if the transmission and ECU recalls apply to this bike and if they have been done.
Depending on mileage, there may be a valve check in the near future, consider the cost of this in your purchase.

Look for the color matched side case fillers (6), if you ride without side cases.

If you purchase, be sure to post photos!
-Steve

Last edited:
FJR specific-
Ask for third key and lock set for top case, unless bike is already equipped with top case. Red key, if immobilizer equipped. (Dont know about Singapore) same for case liners (in some countries you get the liners with the bike, in others you have to purchase them)
Get a dealer to run the VIN to see if the transmission and ECU recalls apply to this bike and if they have been done.
Depending on mileage, there may be a valve check in the near future, consider the cost of this in your purchase.

Look for the color matched side case fillers (6), if you ride without side cases.

If you purchase, be sure to post photos!
-Steve
Hi Steve. Thanks for sharing your Inputs.
I am getting a FJR 1300 - Gen 4 ( 2016 ) Model.

Attachments

• IMG-20240525-WA0095.jpg
    IMG-20240525-WA0095.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 1
Hi Steve. Thanks for sharing your Inputs.
I am getting a FJR 1300 - Gen 4 ( 2016 ) Model.
Congrats. Everything I said still applies, except the topcase is not OEM, so third key set is less important. I see some farkles too. Lots of help here to buy more :)

-Steve

Congrats. Everything I said still applies, except the topcase is not OEM, so third key set is less important. I see some farkles too. Lots of help here to buy more :)

-Steve
Dear Steve...
I was Riding 300cc all this while and FJR1300 will be my 1st Bike which is Heavier Machine.
Maybe you can share some pointers which i need to focus on the maintenance parts and any info.
Tks Steve

There are many many maintenance threads on this forum that will be a better reference than anything I could add. Search is your friend.
Tire pressures, suggest 40psi frt and 42 rr as a place to start.
Coming from something much smaller note that FJR’s can be piggish a very low speeds. Be very careful about the combination of low speed, frt brake and turning.
Your bike has two personalities, its all Mr Hyde until about 4500 rpm, then Mr Jekyll comes out to play.
If you get into the low speed “shes going over” situation, just step away. You are not going to able to stop what is about to happen. You dont want to add injury to insult and get stabbed in the ankle by a footpeg.
You have great brakes, excellent lighting and an engine that just wont quit. Enjoy.
-Steve

There are many many maintenance threads on this forum that will be a better reference than anything I could add. Search is your friend.
Tire pressures, suggest 40psi frt and 42 rr as a place to start.
Coming from something much smaller note that FJR’s can be piggish a very low speeds. Be very careful about the combination of low speed, frt brake and turning.
Your bike has two personalities, its all Mr Hyde until about 4500 rpm, then Mr Jekyll comes out to play.
If you get into the low speed “shes going over” situation, just step away. You are not going to able to stop what is about to happen. You dont want to add injury to insult and get stabbed in the ankle by a footpeg.
You have great brakes, excellent lighting and an engine that just wont quit. Enjoy.
-Steve
Thanks Buddy.. Will Read Up more here.
Keep in touch Steve

Post the milage and any service info you have.
Someone will comment on service items to look out for.
Start with all the obvious stuff like fluids, & state of brake pads and tires.
Does everything work? (Heated grips, cruise control, ABS, head/tail lights, turn signals, etc)
-Steve

Two other things I forgot.
If you dont get one download (free) Owners manual. You will get a maintenance schedule and info about the switch gear/functionality that is useful.
You will see many posts here about fault codes and reading/clearing them on the bike. Cant do it that way on a Gen 4. You need a special cable and OBD2 reader.
-Steve

Two other things I forgot.
If you dont get one download (free) Owners manual. You will get a maintenance schedule and info about the switch gear/functionality that is useful.
You will see many posts here about fault codes and reading/clearing them on the bike. Cant do it that way on a Gen 4. You need a special cable and OBD2 reader.
-Steve

Dear Steve...
I was Riding 300cc all this while and FJR1300 will be my 1st Bike which is Heavier Machine.
Maybe you can share some pointers which i need to focus on the maintenance parts and any info.
Tks Steve
Congratulations! I recommend if you are coming from a lot smaller/lighter bike pull the luggage off until you start to get used to the size/weight of a bigger bike. The side bags are heavier than they look and stick out a bit.

Congratulations! I recommend if you are coming from a lot smaller/lighter bike pull the luggage off until you start to get used to the size/weight of a bigger bike. The side bags are heavier than they look and stick out a bit.
Hi Steve.. Yes.. Agree. Its lot heavier than expected.
I am going for another Test Ride this Sat before i put down the Booking Fee.. Just want to ne comfortable Riding this Monster. Thanks Steve for sharing good tips.Have a Good Day

I am going for another Test Ride this Sat before i put down the Booking Fee.. Just want to ne comfortable Riding this Monster. Thanks Steve for sharing good tips.Have a Good Day
Those comments are not mine.
If the mirrors clear, so will the bags.
Its a 650lb bike, I’m not sure I would notice if the bags were off.
But the point is a good one, you’re moving to a machine that is probably close to twice the weight, and packs over 120hp at the rr wheel. Big step up.
-Steve

Great bike and a very good year too. I also ride a 300cc Yamaha for short, around town or campsite trips but have a 2019 for those longer days in the saddle. As someone else posted, the weight is not noticeable once you are out of the parking lot. A little unwieldy at very low speed and be sure to always try and stay level! And I agree about removing the bags until you are more comfortable not because they add so much weight but if you *do* tip over, they can be costly to repair or replace if cracked.

Otherwise, nice bike and good luck from Texas.

Keith

Great bike and a very good year too. I also ride a 300cc Yamaha for short, around town or campsite trips but have a 2019 for those longer days in the saddle. As someone else posted, the weight is not noticeable once you are out of the parking lot. A little unwieldy at very low speed and be sure to always try and stay level! And I agree about removing the bags until you are more comfortable not because they add so much weight but if you *do* tip over, they can be costly to repair or replace if cracked.

Otherwise, nice bike and good luck from Texas.

Keith
While I see the OEM frame sliders on the bike, I would not rely on them too much to protect the bags on a tip over.
-Steve