FJR and BMW 1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg97224

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with the new BMW 1300? A buddy just bought one, because he thinks it can out run my FJR. I don't really give a shit if it can or not. It is a lot better looking bike than their opposing twins. But for $23,000 it has a lot of extras.

They're so new, how could anyone have experience with them.

Some have take test rides and report positive things about them. I'm sure they are quick and fast and should handle quite well, probably better than the FJR, with all the technology involved.

Good for BMW. I hope they sell a ton of them. I prefer to wait for a ayear or two and read the long term issues that might arise.....

Well we took a few for a spin during the local BMW open day.

Rode the RT, nice but the vibration was a lot more than I thought.

The 1300GT was real fun, the adjustable suspension was great, the rest of the electronics certainly helped keeping the old nut holding the handlebars from making a fool of himself. Loads of power, but it did not seem as raw as the FJR. The GT was certainly very refined and I was very interested until I saw the sticker price ouch!.

Is it faster than the FJR, probably, it certainly felt easier to ride which would help most riders to go quicker. I think the real world difference is so small, not to make much difference. Anyway both of these machines capabilities are certainly way beyond the boundaries of what I would want to explore, at least on public roads anyway.

I know this is going to sound like a worn out old cliche 'cause it is. It depends on the guy holding on to the handlebars rather than where the handlebars are holding on to.

After riding some pretty expensive machinery that day, both of us were happy to climb aboard the FJR for the trip home, and it felt real good.

Now if you were to give me a beemer that's another story, it would fit very nicely between the FJR and the wife's new FZ6R. :yahoo:

DB

I'm with MM2. Waiting to see if they will have final drive failures also. You sure can buy a lot of farkles for the difference in cost.

My buddy just traded his 2008 K1200GT in and bought a 2009 K1300GT (don't ask, long story) and I have ridden them both - as well as my 2009 FJR. The K1200GT was nice but had some quirks. The K1300GT is amazing. The power is unreal and the handling is spot on. In my opinion it is a much better bike then the FJR, but not $10,000.00 better. If money was not object, I would trade the FJR for a K1300GT. Don't get me wrong, I love my FJR - the best bike I have ever owned and I have no thoughts of getting rid of it for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sold my FJR about two mnths ago and bought a 1200GT.

To answer the question of which one is faster.

The FJR redlined in 5th gear with the Zumo recording a 236 kph reading.

On the GT it redlines in 6th gear with a Zumo reading of 253kph.

On a recent trip we had a friendly race between ourselves. In the group was two 1400 GTR Kawasaki's.

From standstill to 1km my GT won by about 4 bike lenghts. I managed a 243 kph on the Zumo on the 1km run.

We did this 3 times. Each time the result was the same.

I enjoyed my FJR, a great great bike. But the GT is just a better bike for me. This is my personal opinion.

If money was not object, I would trade the FJR for a K1300GT. Don't get me wrong, I love my FJR - the best bike I have ever owned and I have no thoughts of getting rid of it.

Don't get me wrong, but isn't the former statement a "thought" which would then negate the latter? Just wondering...

It's Monday, sorry.

A bit of a premium on the price I can understand. But nearly 2 FJRs??!?!?!? I don't think so.
In any BMW thread where pricing is discussed, it seems people lose their math skills.

Base price on a K1300GT is $19,150 and a FJR1300 is $15,190. Granted, the BMW has a yard-long options list and many BMW's do come "loaded", but nearly all of these options are things that aren't even available on the FJR. And, if anything, I've seen bigger discounts on BMW's than Yamaha's. So apples-to-apples with similarly-equipped bikes, it costs about 25% more to get your sport-tourer with a roundel rather than a tuning fork, nothing remotely like double.

Whether the BMW is worth the extra coin, or even any extra coin, I leave as an exercise to the reader.

- Mark

A bit of a premium on the price I can understand. But nearly 2 FJRs??!?!?!? I don't think so.
In any BMW thread where pricing is discussed, it seems people lose their math skills.

Base price on a K1300GT is $19,150 and a FJR1300 is $15,190. Granted, the BMW has a yard-long options list and many BMW's do come "loaded", but nearly all of these options are things that aren't even available on the FJR. And, if anything, I've seen bigger discounts on BMW's than Yamaha's. So apples-to-apples with similarly-equipped bikes, it costs about 25% more to get your sport-tourer with a roundel rather than a tuning fork, nothing remotely like double.

Whether the BMW is worth the extra coin, or even any extra coin, I leave as an exercise to the reader.

- Mark
You can find a brand new 08 or 09 FJR for around $11,000.00 . That is half the price of a loaded K1300GT. Yes FJR's don't come with CC, heated seat or grips or ESA or any other gimmick. They come with ABS and rock solid reliability. FJR's are extremely easy to work on and maintain. You can order parts on line and DIY almost everything. Try that with the BMW. Yamaha dealers are every where (for the occasional recall item). BMW is an exclusive club with high admission and membership fees but, yes you get little bit more bike. Sam

Just read a report in the latest edition of the German publication "Motorrad" regarding an attempted 50,000km test of the K1300GT.

One word: disastrous

-->at 5000 km engine wouldn't start

-->at 7225 km Engine wouldn't start; had to replace left side hand control unit (electrical gremlins)

-->at 19850 km clutch plates replaced, cruise control unit replaced

-->at 24766 km clutch basket busted while riding, clutch housing completely busted; resulted in replacing entire motor!!!

The clutch basically disintegrated at 150mph while shifting from 5th into 6th gear, parts flying around the rider behind the beemer...

...that's why the feejer needs no 6th gear!

and of course BMW says that they have never encountered such a problem and promised to investigate thoroughly...

-->the left side control button unit had to be replaced again because the on/off button of the cruise control unit flew off while driving...

Now they are midway through this test; it will be interesting to see what else goes wrong for the remaining 25,000 km

The Saga continues, I was surprised to see the report in this rag where usually BMW can do no wrong...

Alfred

Well if you can afford one, I guess you can afford to fix it.

I love my Feeejer. :wub:

Has anyone had any experience with the new BMW 1300? A buddy just bought one, because he thinks it can out run my FJR.
I've ridden one of the 'across-the-frame' 4-cyl "K" bikes -- and, yes, they're very fast...

So apples-to-apples with similarly-equipped bikes, it costs about 25% more to get your sport-tourer with a roundel rather than a tuning fork, ...
'Twas always thus -- in the mid-'60s I bought a (new) 650cc English sport-touring m/c; the BMW I wanted was about 25% more...! :eek:

BMW is an exclusive club with high admission and membership fees but, yes you get little bit more bike.
Just read a report in the latest edition of the German publication "Motorrad" regarding an attempted 50,000km test of the K1300GT.One word: disastrous

The Saga continues,
Yes, they may be 'crap'? -- but they're very expensive/exclusive 'crap'... :huh: :unsure: ;)

Took out both the GT and the S. Didn't really like the GT. Like the S alot. GT felt chinsy, buzzy. Gear box very clunky. S was very nice, but impractical for me.

- Mark
Perhaps true where you live but not around here. The local BMW dealers usually do not stock anything but fully loaded GT's in the $23k range. Zero room for negotiation in my experience at either Ft. Worth or Plano. On the other hand, there are FJRs to be had for under $13k in several Yamaha dealerships within 50 miles of my house.

In the real world, there's a very solid $8k-$10k difference in price.

As much as I love BMWs (and I really do), there's just no way to justify:

1) Big price premium

2) Near total lack of dealer network in the US

3) Reliability that's getting worse by the model year

One of my friends has a new K1300S. It's been in the shop so often for the stalling bug in the ECU software that BMW's offered to buy it back. Their official position is the software bug can't and won't be fixed. Ever. So K1300 owners just need to accept that their bike's are going to stall from time to time. Add that to the glass chin of a final drive, wacky antenna rings, fickle fuel pump modules, and a host of other 'strand you by the side of the road' issues and I'm OUT on BMWs at any price.

My experience with the local BMW Motorrad dealer was that there was no bargaining room with the prices of their bikes. They would, however, give you a break on farkles and other accessories.