FJR as a tow vehicle!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try panic stopping a bike with a trailer attached if you live buy it . :clapping: racer157.

Been there, done that. No big deal. With a load in the trailer, I noticed the stopping distance just a bit longer. ABS handles the situation with ease.

Rog

Apparently, it's possible: https://www.dauntlessmotors.com/Trailers/custom_trailer.htm
So, somebody's doing it.
I always thought the whole point of riding on two wheels was to leave everything else behind and hit the road. Only taking with you what will fit within the immediate confines of the cycle you are riding. Although you see a lot of people heading down the road with a trailer in tow, it just seems that you not only lose your ability to maneuver quickly if needed, it looks so cumbersome. If what you want to take with you won’t fit, wouldn’t it be easier to take the car?

I always thought the whole point of riding on two wheels was to leave everything else behind and hit the road. Only taking with you what will fit within the immediate confines of the cycle you are riding. Although you see a lot of people heading down the road with a trailer in tow, it just seems that you not only lose your ability to maneuver quickly if needed, it looks so cumbersome. If what you want to take with you won’t fit, wouldn’t it be easier to take the car?
Easier, yes. But I think that pretty much goes for any time you hit the road on a bike. It takes me an extra 10 minutes to get to work when I ride. Why? Because I have to put my riding boots, gloves, jacket, pants, and helmet on to go to work. I then I have take everything off when I get there. Would it be easier to cage it into work? Hell yeah, but I ride in because I want to ride.

Some people just want to travel with their bike and they feel that they need to bring certain things with them that just don't fit on a bike. For them having a trailer is having your cake and eat it too. Its all a matter of what floats your boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at trailers for the trips with with wife greater than a week long, but have not purchased yet.

But I do enjoy a cup of supidity every once in a while :rolleyes:

Easier, yes. But I think that pretty much goes for any time you hit the road on a bike. It takes me an extra 10 minutes to get to work when I ride. Why? Because I have to put my riding boots, gloves, jacket, pants, and helmet on to go to work. I then I have take everything off when I get there. Would it be easier to cage it into work? Hell yeah, but I ride in because I want to ride.

Some people just want to travel with their bike and they feel that they need to bring certain things with them that just don't fit on a bike. For them having a trailer is having your cake and eat it too. Its all a matter of what floats your boat.
You are right about that. Bikes are easier to park and such but by the time you suit up, the car can be a couple miles down the road. And yes, there have been times while traveling on 2-wheels that I wished I could have bought along a few more things. By that...............I stand corrected.

Damn, I looked for that fellow from Australia that posted the great ride report pulling a trailer but could not find it. His report had lots of good info & a camp ground next to a crock river.

I have been pulling trailers since about '90. I currently have an '05 with a Dauntless hitch pulling either a Lesure-lite camper or a utility trailer (16 cubic ft car topper on a generic el cheapo trailer). The use of a trailer allows my spouse and me to enjoy a couple of our favorite activities at the same time; motorcycling, rallies, and camping. The utility trailer is handy for trips where we will not camp, but have too much 'stuff' for the saddle bags and a 52 liter Givi top box.

Like any other activity, pulling a trailer with a bike requires that you take in to account the circumstances. I certainly won't fly down the super slab whipping in out of traffic at 80+ with a trailer in tow, but I would not participate in that activity in a four wheeler pulling a trailer either. Can a bike pull a trailer safely? Yes, if you, as Dirty Harry said, 'know your limitations'. You can't stop, turn, or accelerate like a naked bike. And you have a large object behind you that will try to push the ass end to one side in turns and when braking. The FJR makes an excellent tow vehicle for me. I have towed trailers with an '79 R100RT, '94 K75RT, and a '99 ZG1000 Concours. The FJR is the best so far.

If you think pulling a trailer will help you enjoy the ride for whatever reason, give it a shot.

Just completed a 1700 mile trip with the bike and trailer. I will never leave home without it! The extra storage is great.

I always ride 2up so there is a lot of stuff to carry.

100_0955.jpg
[/img]

Hope I post this correctley

If you think pulling a trailer will help you enjoy the ride for whatever reason, give it a shot.
AB-SO-RUTE-REE!

Absolutely!

While I don't pull a trailer, my hat is off to the couples and riders who take off on their bikes for extended trips, trailer or not. At least they are closer to the elements and enjoying a two-wheeled conveyance rather than being isolated in a steel box on wheels.

The removing quickly part is probably not gonna happen. The hitch frame attaches using bolts that are part of the pillion pegs and muffler brackets, along with some subframe attachment points, if I recall correctly stuff I've seen before. The thing becomes part of the bike.
Dauntless said four bolts to remove the brackets stay attached.

Damn! A trailer thread and I missed it!

Yep, pulled a trailer over many states. Love it. And though my FJR is gone, the trailer remains. I am seriously considering fabricating a hitch for the little FZ. I may also fabricate a new, somewhat smaller capacity trailer.

I have pulled my existing trailer (with the FJR) with a total trailer weight of approx. 600-650 pounds. No biggie. It just takes a few more feet to stop. Other than that, you never know it's back there.

What's Yamaha's opinion of pulling a trailer with an FJR?
While I have not heard from them personally, I would imagine they would "officially" frown upon the action. Liability issues and CYA.