FJR cornering technique

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
:(

Ok, that 's a good face to start with...

Been riding for many, many years. Only raced MX (dirt). Got lots of habits that are really beyond habits and better described as instincts. I'm sure some are BAD. So gonna bear my soul and ask for some feedback from you folks that ride an FJR fast over asphalt.

1. I use back brake in tight corners. Usually tap or tap-and-glide the front (along with some rear) for setting corner speed and tucking the suspension. Then when it's just about right, I ease off the front and release the rear to a very light drag. If needed, I will apply a LITTLE more or less rear. If things are going (badly) wrong, I will use more rear as I raise the bike to apply fronts. Everybody says "don't use rear brakes in corners". But after 43 years of practice, I am pretty damn good at it.

Ok, my head is down. Slam away...

2. Tucking the bike down in the corners is a natural thing for me. It's the old dirt thing where you push the bike into the corner and keep your body high. I would like to practice putting my weight into the corner and leaving the bike high. But it's going to take conscious effort. All thinking and awkward and stuff, no instinct here! What can you suggest as a start?

3. Paint scares me. Rocks scare me too, but by the time I feel one it's too late anyway. Paint I can see for a LONG time and I don't know how (yet) to read the breaking point on the FJR. Are there any signs (besides my ass grinding on pavement) before the rear lets loose?

Please pardon my ignorance. I ain't slow, but I would like to be faster (out of bed).

:)

I have had the FJR rear end get loose quite a few times and it is suprisingly controllable and while there is slight surprise when it first happens, it becomes a breaking point that is predictable depending on road conditions and the tire.

Sounds like we have the same stule of riding. I rode in the dirt for years, getting my first street bike just 4 years ago. I too use the rear brake a lot and having just completed my first track day, I can tell you, the reason I was using it on the street, entering a turn . .... is fear! I learned to lean the bike over more and get on the gas to power out of the turn. I will second the twist of the wrist book. It is very hard to break those old habits.

I've never been dirt riding, but I've been told that I emulate the style on the street when followed by good street riders. That said, no worries, cuz you compensate with your speed. Relax. Enjoy the ride and don't over-ride.

As far as road spooge, I'll offer what my MSF instructor taught us... "Sand, paint stripes, water, gravel... just ride through it. Relax, light on the controls and ride through it." Amazing words of wisdom boiled down to simply say, don't panic and follow the bike through the hazard. No shit, it works.

I too, use tons of rear brake. Corner entry, mid-corner on the throttle - trail braking. This is something that I have been working hard on modulating without locking up the rear. Some may say, 'nay-nay', but me likey for going quick and smooth through the twisties without grabbing boatloads of leading Brembos.

I too, use tons of rear brake. Corner entry, mid-corner on the throttle - trail braking. This is something that I have been working hard on modulating without locking up the rear. Some may say, 'nay-nay', but me likey for going quick and smooth through the twisties without grabbing boatloads of leading Brembos.
I used to do that. I found I can't modulate it as well as my imagination says I can. A wonderful low-side into a ditch made me a believer in Kevin Scwhantz' encouragement: "The only time I ever used the rear brake I crashed, so I don't use it anymore".

I'll admit to using the rear to load the suspension pre-entry, but the "slow entry/roll on throttle mid-corner/throttle exit" works for me. Most of you guys ride faster than I, to each his own. I have found that getting my shoulders over the handlebars and leading with my upper torso helps decrease the lean angle of the bike and keeps my pegs from dragging so early....uhm, theoretically.

I used to do that. I found I can't modulate it as well as my imagination says I can. A wonderful low-side into a ditch made me a believer in Kevin Scwhantz' encouragement: "The only time I ever used the rear brake I crashed, so I don't use it anymore".

I'll admit to using the rear to load the suspension pre-entry, but the "slow entry/roll on throttle mid-corner/throttle exit" works for me. Most of you guys ride faster than I, to each his own. I have found that getting my shoulders over the handlebars and leading with my upper torso helps decrease the lean angle of the bike and keeps my pegs from dragging so early....uhm, theoretically.
Mike dusts me in the turns...especially coming out of them. Especially since i got my ticket ;)

Hi Guys, anyone want to pass there book on to me, maybe getting dusty and past its practical use for you.

10A Redoubt rd Manukau, Auckland New Zealand!. Well I guess there is no harm in asking ........cheeky kiwi, [email protected]

That is to say, A twist of the wrist by Keith Code...........all the best!

For street riding there is little advantage, if any, for braking in corners. This is quite a bit different from riding on a race track where they brake right up to the apex (with front only). The best and safest strategy for going fast on the street while still riding safely is to brake early and apex late. This will allow you to get on the gas early and safely respond to any unexpected hazards. No matter how good you are at using the rear brake it is not worth the risk with no real benefit IMHO.

To get used to a different riding style start by leaning forward and place your head to the inside of the corner. While riding in the dirt you keep your body upright because the tires are always sliding. On the street this should not happen on clean pavement. Your main concern should be to not drag anything. With clean roads and good tires you have nothing to worry about until sparks are flying.

Bmac, thanks for saying what I was thinking. Admittingly, I'm a pretty mild rider and try to stay away from the limits. I do most of my braking before the turn, and if I want to twist the wrist a little, do it on the way out of the turn.

I yield to the better riders out there and actually enjoy your descriptions of quick riding, but I've always been a little meek in the thrills department (but still happy to be riding as I do). Even when I raced motocross (many moons ago) I never was near the front of the pack (aka a backmarker) I had fun and tried to stay out of the way of the good riders.

I guess that's why I get over 10,000 miles out of a set of tires. (I'm not bragging; I'm probably complaining to myself a little that I don't use some of the capacity of this truly awesome machine.)

:( Ok, that 's a good face to start with...

Been riding for many, many years. Only raced MX (dirt). Got lots of habits that are really beyond habits and better described as instincts. I'm sure some are BAD. So gonna bear my soul and ask for some feedback from you folks that ride an FJR fast over asphalt.

1. I use back brake in tight corners. Usually tap or tap-and-glide the front (along with some rear) for setting corner speed and tucking the suspension. Then when it's just about right, I ease off the front and release the rear to a very light drag. If needed, I will apply a LITTLE more or less rear. If things are going (badly) wrong, I will use more rear as I raise the bike to apply fronts. Everybody says "don't use rear brakes in corners". But after 43 years of practice, I am pretty damn good at it.

Ok, my head is down. Slam away...

2. Tucking the bike down in the corners is a natural thing for me. It's the old dirt thing where you push the bike into the corner and keep your body high. I would like to practice putting my weight into the corner and leaving the bike high. But it's going to take conscious effort. All thinking and awkward and stuff, no instinct here! What can you suggest as a start?

3. Paint scares me. Rocks scare me too, but by the time I feel one it's too late anyway. Paint I can see for a LONG time and I don't know how (yet) to read the breaking point on the FJR. Are there any signs (besides my ass grinding on pavement) before the rear lets loose?

Please pardon my ignorance. I ain't slow, but I would like to be faster (out of bed).

:)
Work on "smooth" and fast will come on its own. Like any new skill, break it down into steps, consciously work those steps EVERY TIME (even when not pushing hard), eventually those steps will work into a single process and then become your "new instinct".

The way it as taught to me (and i ain't got no track skoolin' since i ain't riden on no tack out dare):

Set your corner speed BEFORE you enter the corner.

Be off the brakes as you go through the corner.

Set a baseline throttle and maintain it through the apex to keep the suspension set.

Dip your inside shoulder into the turn (same as others have said about torso/head but i've found that thinking about and doing a shoulder dip seems easier)

After the apex and once you can see the exit, roll on the throttle.

Don't out ride your sight line (some call this riding to the vanishing point).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have clicked on the link above to buy "Twist of the Wrist" and it is open in another screen Thanks

There is another book too that I have read about eleventy twelve times. I am a new rider but am in the spounge stage of information. OK Anyway

"Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques" by Lee Parks can at Clicky

Anyway, I am going to bounce to the other window and buy the twisty book. Thanks

As far as road spooge, I'll offer what my MSF instructor taught us... "Sand, paint stripes, water, gravel... just ride through it. Relax, light on the controls and ride through it." Amazing words of wisdom boiled down to simply say, don't panic and follow the bike through the hazard. No shit, it works.

+1

Just ride the bike.

Three comments without quoting the relevant threads:

Note that it's Twist of the Wrist II. Not the first one. Not saying don't read the first one, but the second is, I think, better for street riding tactics.

Where the fellow says ride through gravel, sand, paint, etc.... Do I understand that to mean, Avoid it where you can, but if you cannot avoid it, or suddenly you're in it (I'm thinking sand, gravel, wet leaves), don't panic and go through it slowly.

Finally, I was surprised by the thread premise, which is braking in curves. Sometimes that's necessary, but my understanding (and what I try to do every time--see Twist of the Wrist II), is get my braking finished before the turn.

Yes, I've heard about, read about, "trail braking." In particular, see the MSF Motorcycling Excellence (second version just out), which has Kevin Schwantz explain it. Keith Code says never use the rear brake period (remember he's a racing instructor).

Jb

There is some very good advise here, purchase some books on the subject and consider a track school NOT a track day. You will learn a lot at a good track school. Stay away from track days until you get some good lessons and do some reading. Track days, not track school, can be very aggressive. There are too many things to consider when it comes to riding a very brisk pace on the street to discuss here but some of your habits, that work in dirt riding, will be hard to break. I found that leaning off the bike instead of turning it under you ,as you do in dirt riding, was the hardest one for me to break. All the racers say slow in and fast out. If your doing a lot of braking in the corner you are probably going in too fast, remember when you are on the brakes you are losing ground clearence and the bike is not in the sweet spot of it's suspension. When you are either at "maintance throttle" or "on throttle" you are increasing ground clearence and that is a good thing. You can also go to the web sites of schools like CLASS SCHOOL or SUPERBIKE SCHOOL and log on to the things they are talking about to pick up some info. Above all ride the pace you are comfortable with in order to RIDE SAFE,

Finally, I was surprised by the thread premise, which is braking in curves. Sometimes that's necessary, but my understanding (and what I try to do every time--see Twist of the Wrist II), is get my braking finished before the turn.
+100.......SLOW......LOOK.......LEAN........ROLL(on throttle)

As for debris....don't panic, ie, roll off throttle/stab brakes/death grip bars. Worked for me on a 20lb. raccoon, hanging off a FAST on camber right hander. Hit Rocky dead center with both tires, and the fjr simply skipped over him and reconnected. Happened so fast I didn't have time to roll off throttle/stab brakes/death grip bars....no instinct, just dumb luck! :blink: