FJR Forum Alps Extreme M/C Tour; August 8-15 of 2012.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my Fellow Alps Extremists suffering in the heat! Take heart, 2 months from now we'll be on this curve. One of the scenic outlooks on der Grossglockner Alpinestrasse!
I'm still plugged in to my Widder Heated vest enjoying the 'unrepentant dampness' of BC. I'm finally getting south now and it is finally hitting 20oC after mostly temps of 10 to 13oC sloshing my way to Hyder. Not to worry, I'll be whining about the heat when I hit the Prairies.

**PLEASE TAKE NOTE**

One of my friends was on the Extreme Alps Tour just a few weeks ago and was robbed of about 600 Euros from their motel room while they were sleeping. It was very hot and they had a second floor room and had left the window open. The thief left the passports and credit cards but took all their euros.

Bastards.

My friend had absolutely no problems elsewhere but understandably does not have a high opinion of Italy right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
**PLEASE TAKE NOTE**

One of my friends was on the Extreme Alps Tour just a few weeks ago and was robbed of about 600 Euros from their motel room while they were sleeping. It was very hot and they had a second floor room and had left the window open. The thief left the passports and credit cards but took all their euros.

Bastards.

My friend had absolutely no problems elsewhere but understandably does not have a high opinion of Italy right now.
OK, Bill, we'll sleep in shifts. You take first watch.

Too bad about your bud. On a happier note, I FINALLY GOT MY AIRLINE REZ! I'm going to get in early Friday, so now I'm starting to look for someplace for those first couple of nights. Someplace with good locks on the doors and windows. :angry:

Dear Mr. Stanley

Thank you so much for your message.

Yes, unfortunately we had a misfortune at the last Alps Extreme Tour. I am very sorry for this. Over the more than 30 years we have had very, very few similar problems.

Please note, that the hotels do have a safe where you could leave valuable items. However, we suggest, not to bring any valuables beside documents, money and a camera.

Please also note, never to let a door or window open in a hotel room.

It is a very unpleasant situation and the hotel could not understand either, but will do anything possible in order to avoid any problems.

We have changed the address in our files. I am sorry, it was our mistake since your booking form shows the correct address.

Please be circumspect with your belongings when travelling, but please also keep on looking forward to the tour, it will be a great experience, no doubt.

I hope that I could help you and am asking you to address all further questions to Tracy at Tri Community Travel.

All the best and warm regards

Doris

EDELWEISS BIKE TRAVEL

Doris WALDEGGER

Customer Services

Sportplatzweg 14

6414 Mieming/Austria

[email protected]

www.edelweissbike.com

Tel: +43.5264.5690-24

Fax: +43.5264.5690-3

Follow us on facebook

Facebook.com/edelweissbike

Follow all tours on our worldtourer blog

Worldtourer.com

-------- Original Message --------

Subject:

Concerns Over Safety/Security at the Italian Hotels for our Alps Extreme Tour of August 8-15/12 and Please Correct Don Stanley's Contact Information.

Date:

Mon, 2 Jul 2012 18:16:28 -0400 (EDT)

Don Stanley <[email protected]>

To:

[email protected]

CC:

[email protected], [email protected]

1. We have concerns regarding Safety & Security at the Italian Hotels Edelweiss is using for our Alps Extreme tour. Can our IT hotels provide a secure safe for our valuables?

"One of my friends was on the Extreme Alps Tour just a few weeks ago and was robbed of about 600 Euros from their motel room while they were sleeping. It was very hot and they had a second floor room and had left the window open. The thief left the passports and credit cards but took all their euros.

Bastards! My friend had absolutely no problems elsewhere but understandably does not have a high opinion of Italy right now."

2. I have not lived at 630 N. Exeter Street or had a phone number of 480-917-3863 for over three years now, please correct all of your records to my accurate information below!

Don Stanley

1061 N. Amber St.

Chandler, AZ 85225

Cell: 480-440-4666

What strikes me about this is that I've heard of cases where thieves in a local area know of groups that come in regularly with a tour company, and prey on them. After all, we're traveling, we're spending (and carrying) money and valuables, and we'll be leaving the next day! Easy, just like serving up a nice treat via room service. Lots of mutts like that take advantage of cruise ship passengers in the same way.

So whoever hit up Bill's buddy--is still there, likely watching for the next group of rental motorcycles in front of the same hotel. We'll just all need to be very vigilant, at this particular hotel and at every stop, for scoundrels working this game on the vulnerable tourists.

What strikes me about this is that I've heard of cases where thieves in a local area know of groups that come in regularly with a tour company, and prey on them. After all, we're traveling, we're spending (and carrying) money and valuables, and we'll be leaving the next day! Easy, just like serving up a nice treat via room service. Lots of mutts like that take advantage of cruise ship passengers in the same way.

So whoever hit up Bill's buddy--is still there, likely watching for the next group of rental motorcycles in front of the same hotel. We'll just all need to be very vigilant, at this particular hotel and at every stop, for scoundrels working this game on the vulnerable tourists.
SacramentoMike, here is what I posted up over at the AZ Beemers Club Website:

This arrived from my friend yamafitter - Bill Fitkowski of Ontario a few minutes ago.  Warning: Beware of thieves in the night and pickpockets while we are in Italy.

Don,

One of my friends was in the Extreme Alps Tour just a few weeks ago and was robbed of about 600 Euros from their motel room while they were sleeping.

It was very hot and they had a second floor room and had left the window open. The thief left the passports and credit cards but took all their euros.

Bastards.

Bill, I highly recommend you post this up to our FJR Forum Group.  I intend to post this up to my AZ Beemers Group.  Whenever I travel, even on this latest trip to Canada, all my valuables are in a pouch around my neck at all times.  I bought my zippered neck leash wallet from Rick Steve's Travels, but you can buy them anywhere from travel supply stores! https://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Silk-Neck-Wallet/dp/B0009U7R9I

718ftykFh2L._SL1500_.jpg

Some day I would like to do this or other great rides you go on, someday....... Thanks for the ride report link.

Mark

Not stayed in that hotel but there is good swimming in the lake and some great roads to the North and East. I do not get back from Japan until August 5 soit is unlikly I'll be able to join you so I hope you all have a great time in the Alps and Dolomites.

Dave

https://www.hotelsorriso.it/eng We will be spending the nights of August 11 and 12 here.

Not stayed in that hotel but there is good swimming in the lake and some great roads to the North and East. I do not get back from Japan until August 5 so it is unlikly I'll be able to join you so I hope you all have a great time in the Alps and Dolomites.

Dave

https://www.hotelsorriso.it/eng We will be spending the nights of August 11 and 12 here.
Many Thanks, Dave! https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=146850&pid=981032&st=0entry981032 Check out this thread orestes, if there is enough interest here: I will plan out an FJR Forum Group Go to the FJR European Rally in 2013.

https://www.fjr1300.it/docs/eventi/2012/international/brochure-en.pdf Brochure from this year's International FJR Rally held in Italy. It is unknown where the location will be for 2013 at this time, maybe Kent - England!

Don, thanks for all the updates on our stays while over there.  They all look nice, especially the Sorriso near the water.

Getting a little frustrated with Tri-Community travel.  Been e-mailing & getting Tracy's voice mail and still no packet after they claim they resent it a week ago.
Gary, I just sent an e-mail to Rainer Buck and Doris Waldegger in Austria.  Told her this was unacceptable and to expedite a shipment to you and Bill Fitkowski also!

This Holy Shrine is on the 3rd curve starting up to Passo di Stelvio on the Swiss side, you can make a prayer here to St. Christopher for safe passage over der Stilfserjoch-Papa Chuy usually does!

p1120161.jpg

This Holy Shrine is on the 3rd curve starting up to Passo di Stelvio on the Swiss side, you can make a prayer here to St. Christopher for safe passage over der Stilfserjoch-Papa Chuy usually does!
I know that Papa Chuy guy. He needs to stop and pray. :lol:
I hear you loud and clear Brother Dave, I even lit a candle each for Old Michael and ShinyPartsUp at Mass this morning: Those two Paddy Bastards really need the help!

PopeDon-1.jpg

Don, thanks for all the updates on our stays while over there.  They all look nice, especially the Sorriso near the water.

Getting a little frustrated with Tri-Community travel.  Been e-mailing & getting Tracy's voice mail and still no packet after they claim they resent it a week ago.
Gary, I just sent an e-mail to Rainer Buck and Doris Waldegger in Austria.  Told her this was unacceptable and to expedite a shipment to you and Bill Fitkowski also!
Got my package when we got home. On the package there was my name,

street address

then it just "Ontario Canada ONT NOG2R0"

then it had USA

The postal code was the saving grace.... otherwise I don't think I would have got it.

Just love that buzz just before a trip like this.

Just ran through the check list and we are pretty much set.

Just hoping some of the weather we are having now will move over to Europe

Chris