FJR Has Gotten Too Heavy. What To Buy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In search of lightness also- kind of looking at the honda nc750x, just do not know about keeping up with others with 51 rear wheel hp. Anyone out there ridden one yet? Back in the day cb 350s and 450s were around 40 hp and seemed fine.

Honda NM4. Weight = 562, so it's not a lot lighter, but it's 670 cc with an automatic 6-speed transmission and innovative storage compartments.

2018_NM4_2000x1275_MatteBlackMetallic_42515B.jpg

In search of lightness also- kind of looking at the honda nc750x, just do not know about keeping up with others with 51 rear wheel hp. Anyone out there ridden one yet? Back in the day cb 350s and 450s were around 40 hp and seemed fine.
It's a great bike. I had one for a few years prior to getting the FJR. I toured on it and put 20k miles on it. My only complaint with it was that at 80-85mph it is pretty well topped out. That engine does not have the power to make quick passes on highways out west. Otherwise, it felt much lighter than the 500lb on the spec sheet, handled wonderfully, and that storage trunk where the gas tank should be is phenomenal. I miss the light weight of it, but I am glad to have the power of the FJR.

Went round trip cross country on a NC700x. When I got back, front sprocket had 8 out of 16 teeth left. Was missing every other one. The following year bought a FJR to make the round trip. Much easier with CC and more power.

Thanks for everyone’s additional thoughts. They are certainly provocative!

JamesW, draco_1967 and 2wheels4fun, thanks for your thoughts about a Honda NC750. It had not been on my radar screen. but it seems to have power and weight similar to the 1970’s Honda CB750 family, which has been called the world’s first production super bike. I greatly enjoyed the CB750’s at the time and will try to find a NC750 to check out. And if I find one of interest, I will definitely check out its cruising and passing power on the western interstates … and count its sprocket teeth!

Bhkfjr, love your suggestion about a KTM Super Duke GT. I already have a Husqvarna dirt bike and it is a real thoroughbred. With so much power and agility it is joy to ride off road. And, it only requires throughbred care and feeding too – like oil changes every 10 hours, top end rebuilds after 100 hours, and every hour of shop time means 3 hours searching for parts – which too often have been special ordered out of Austria. When KTM gets their Husq acquisition running smoothly I might consider a KTM. But then again, in several forums the Super Duke is called a hooligan bike. Not too sure my grandchildren would appreciate their 77 year old grandfather moving towards this behavior. And, I do not want their parents to take away my keys, either.

Although Bounce was holding the lead for the most creative idea when he suggested the Ruckus, this baton has just passed to Uncle Hud for suggesting the Honda NM4. This bike looks really far out!!! Top Speed reviewed the bike as being uncomfortable for long rides with the feet forward positioning, and it's lacking usable storage. Since most of my rides are 1,500 – 2,500+ miles of touring, I do not know that the ergonomics would work. And packing for extended travel would have me destroying the beautiful lines with dry sacks lashed on every near horizon surface. But on the other hand, I would love to have one to pick up in DC for the coming last and final Rolling Thunder ride Memorial Day weekend. This bike would be such a contrast to the 50,000 – 70,000 Harleys! Riding it there would be a REAL KICK!!!

Woe is me! So many bikes and soo little time!

I am also considering lighter alternatives to the FJR. I have an 2018 FJR1300AE (ES for you lot). I had a 2004 FJR for 14 years before I traded in for the 2018. I kind of wish I hadn't now. If the old FJR was overweight the new FJR is morbidly obese. Sure there are lots of toys on the new one but you don't half pay a price in the acceleration and handling stakes. I won't be keeping the 2018 for 14 years, of that I am certain. I will say weight is the only issue I have with the new FJR, everything else about it is great.

Finding a much lighter as capable alternative is not easy IMO. Going smaller is definitely my strategy.

I just read post #18 about almost dropping your beloved FJR.

I think its time for a Ural. This should eliminate any potential future top over concerns.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Went round trip cross country on a NC700x. When I got back, front sprocket had 8 out of 16 teeth left. Was missing every other one. The following year bought a FJR to make the round trip. Much easier with CC and more power.
uhoh.gif

While my factory DID chain only lasted 8k miles, the sprockets weren't an issue. I replaced the chain and sprockets together, but the replacement chain was still looking good after 12k miles. I did find the NCX a little sensitive to chain slack. Chains and sprockets are not the devil though.

I've also been thinking about lighter machines, but the problem is that the FJR is so good all around, that stepping down in weight can also be a disadvantage. That's why I have and inexpensive Ninja 500R and a Versys x. Both are light and fun and totally different from the FJR. After riding those (and they are also different from one another), when I get back of the FJR I truly appreciate the power and versatility of that bike. When its windy and cold or if the ride is long, I never wish I had a smaller bike.

I have been intrigued by both the 650 Versys and the Tracer 900 GT. Both lack a rear rack and shaft drive (Let's not forget how good that option is). Yes, it adds weight and yes I have chain bikes and do the maintenance without complaint, but shaft drive is really nice after a long day and no worries about that maintenance after the ride.

Also, even the lighter 845 CC GT cannot really keep up with the FJR on the highway. If you study the HP and Torque curves, the FJR is still ahead of the power to weigh ratio almost all the way through the top end. If you want a sport bike, take off the side cases, if you want a sport touring bike, put them back on, if you want to tour, add both the side case and a small top case with steel frame. It you only have the FJR, it's 3 bikes in one.

If you have room and finances, an additional bike works well to keep you interested and appreciating each for its strengths.

uhoh.gif

While my factory DID chain only lasted 8k miles, the sprockets weren't an issue. I replaced the chain and sprockets together, but the replacement chain was still looking good after 12k miles. I did find the NCX a little sensitive to chain slack. Chains and sprockets are not the devil though.
I only 31,000 miles out of the original chain and sprockets. Did run a chain oilier since about 1,200 miles. Moved the chain oilier to my Versys-X 300 when I traded in the NC700x at 49,000 miles. Wonder if the chain and sprockets will last just as long

UPDATE:

After reading everyone's helpful suggestions, I went to Eagle Rider Los Angeles to test ride a BMW R1200RT in preparation for my ride from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and return. They have a few in their fleet, but they were never available when I could be free for a two day test ride. Looking at their bikes I saw they had no engine or luggage protection and was concerned about the cost if I dropped one.

Decided to take my paid-for and MC Enterprise-protected FJR on the trip, despite its top heavy weight and the luggage I would be packing. But my concerns were not realized. The bike was a perfect dream on the highway for all 6,000 miles, ran smoothly, kept the wind and weather off me, and never caused any concerns. A parking lot incident in Colorado broke the right mirror and scraped the side case, making me doubly glad I was on my bike and not facing a dealer's bill for the repairs.

Was at a loss on how to deal with the missing mirror for the last 1,500 miles and went to O'Reilly's auto parts to scout out possible stick-on mirrors. It turned out they carry a mirror on a bent rod, similar to old style bicycle mirrors. The shaft was the perfect length, diameter and thread for me to attach it in the hole for the previous mirror!
smile.png
Bolted it down and rode the home stretch with no further concerns. (See my Stuff Happens post in WTB as I look for an OEM replacement )

Thanks again for your numerous alternative bike suggestions. They have me now looking for a second bike to use for local riding!

TooManyBikes posted, in part:A parking lot incident in Colorado broke the right mirror and scraped the side case ... [i am] now looking for a second bike to use for local riding!
Hahahahahaha! You dropped you FJR in a parking lot? Welcome to the Forum, TooManyBikes. BTDT more times than you can count on one hand. See here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/165369-low-speed-practice-range

As for local riding, take off the bags, switch to S-mode, and tell folks you have a Yamaha R13.

Last edited by a moderator: