FJR has no character?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take ut none of you have ridden a Multistrada 1200 :assassin:
I have not personally, but a friend of mine who owns a older Multi has ridden the 1200 and commented how the 1200 seems to have less character.

Now, a Multi with a Panigale-derived engine, now that would be nice, and less maintenance!
If you like having to get the bike to 7k to get to the start of the power.

Like I said, I take it none of you have ridden the Multistrada

No character? Alot of times "character" means stuff that breaks routinely, or doesn't work exactly right.
every time i hear that kind of comment, i think the same thing. just because it doesn't vibrate me through solid object, leak all over my driveway, or leave me stranded with random final drive failures doesn't mean it's soulless or without character. that kind of character i can do without. i earned my stripes years ago with my HD, my MG Midget, my Dad's Austin-Healey, and other vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not personally, but a friend of mine who owns a older Multi has ridden the 1200 and commented how the 1200 seems to have less character.

Now, a Multi with a Panigale-derived engine, now that would be nice, and less maintenance!
If you like having to get the bike to 7k to get to the start of the power.

I was speaking of the Panigale's engine.

I guess if the Multistrada impressed you so much you should get one.......

The only "soul" I ever have discovered in motorcycles is the emotion I feel. For me the FJR was love at first sight. If the first ride had dissapointed me in any way I'd not own one today.

Search your feelings and get the bike you actually desire....life is short.

I guess if the Multistrada impressed you so much you should get one.......

The only "soul" I ever have discovered in motorcycles is the emotion I feel. For me the FJR was love at first sight. If the first ride had dissapointed me in any way I'd not own one today.

Search your feelings and get the bike you actually desire....life is short.
This is really Sage advice.

Compare it to other things in life... say politics? should we all agree on that? do we all agree on that? I don't think so...

I think, like other aspects of life, don't wait for everyone else to say "you're right!" cause that doesn't happen ;) Go with what you want, defend yourself if needed, but never ever ever expect everyone to agree with you on your personal viewpoint... or anything, for that matter.

I luved my fjr, wish I could own multiple bikes! It had tons of character :)

I've owned mine for several months now and I'd much rather call it a tool for the job. It does not one extraordinarily well but it kind of blends in the good with the bad.

I'm not sorted out with my suspension quite yet and that out of the box is something that needs to be worked on, and when I do I will report back. I think the bike out of the box without any add-ons it is a purposeful fast bike but that's about the extent of where I would leave it. I'm faulting it very little and I'm on the the positive section right now where the bike stands now. I wouldn't say it's my favorite but it kind of falls in the middle of my pack of previous owned motorcycles.

However, I must mention that I'm having a hard time getting the satisfaction that I did from when I stepped off my R850R, R1150Gs or in some cases my Bandit 1250 or in some cases my VStom.

Those bikes were as predictable and were as close to flawless without sacrificing comfort and quality mile after mile. I really enjoyed them where the FJR is lacking that "jump-on-me-and- it-fits type feeling- It's a little long here, a little short there, and it has little things that annoy me but I guess that creates it's character. I'm all too familiar to their notchy transmissions. (Much like the cold bread and butter analogy the fellow above used) And yet their powerful fast engines and sort of quirky suspensions. I'm definitely not new to Yamaha because I've owned DH's Visions, V-Max's, FZR's, Seca's YZF's over the years and they all seem to have those certain traits with what I described above and that in essence is the Yamaha character

Don't get me wrong I like the bike for what it is and I will certainly spend a few dollars here in there to get it to fit but I usually don't spend much more than $500-$1500 for farkles . My belief is that if you spend more than that then you probably picked the wrong bike.

So as it stands right now, this is what I've noticed about the FJRr that I will always remember:

It has character alright and that it a beautiful highway mannerism and a nice job while handling the twisty stuff with plenty of steam on tap for one or two riders. That's without finding the proper suspension too. Also, it does a fine job keeping my ankles warm in cool weather and keeping my "boys" warm. The negative pressure from the windscreen keeps me in shape because now I have to do more sit-ups to strengthen my body in order to ride this beast. I have to strengthen my legs too because it is top heavy and I have to be careful when driving slow with a full tank of gas. It does a nice job getting me to point A-B at a very quick pace and it does a fair job doing this in comfort.

I haven't spent much money on this other than gas and to replace a few windshield screws from when I swapped out the Ceebailey screen from when I over torqued the plastic ones and broke one. I found a small rubber gasket on the road and I used it to replace a worn rubber piece inside my throttle lock cruise control and it works like a charm. I burned about an ounce oil in over 2K miles of riding

Once I get this thing sorted out I may keep it around for a few years. I love motorcycles and I just feel life is short to not ride a bunch of them. In my impression, Yamaha makes a good one. ;)

My favorite motorcycle with the most character is my 1998 EV Moto Guzzi I've got about 120,000 miles on it and it's been easy to maintain, reliable, and no leaks. It's character has nothing to do with bad things, just pure joy in performance and handling. The twin produces an exciting pulse and pulls like a freight train. The airbox sound is like a Ferrari and is oh so pleasent. Cornering is effortless and I've dusted off countless Harleys and some less skilled sport bike riders in the twisties. It's pure joy for me.

However I felt I needed a newer machine for long cross country trips if for nothing else a confidence factor. So, the FJR. Initially I felt it was souless, except the power which is its strongest piece of character. I can still out corner it on my Guzzi. Recently tho I took a scenic Florida to California and return trip on the FJR. Being solo in the middle of the desert on secondary roads I had perfect confidence in the bike. I was comfortable on it with back to back 600 mile days. Passing lines of trucks was quick and routine. Stuck in Traffic on a 100 degree day in El Paso, the water cooled engine delt with it with no strain. So for me the Guzzi gives me the most smiles per mile but the FJR is providing just what I bought it for: reliability, long distance comfort, awesome power and reasonable cornering ability. It's nice to own both bikes, they compliment each other rather well.

Bill

Actually, I believe I saw Multistrada listed in someone's signature just the other day on here. Perhaps they just haven't replied to this thread.

Like everyone else has said: if the shoe doesn't fit, don't buy it.

When I hear someone say the that FJR is souless or has no character, I don't argue with them. But I do form an opinion that the person probably prefers rap music over Julie London's "Cry me a River" or a diva singing that lovely aria from Madam Butterfly. :rolleyes:

Ooops, I may have just given away my age. :unsure:
Or sexual orientation.

But seriously - soul? Who gives a fuck? The FJR is very good at what it does. Reliable, flickable (for a 650 lbs bike), carries two and camping gear with no complaint, and looks fuckin' great. What the hell does soul mean when you need to do a valve adjustment every 6k miles, or some stupid crap like that?

Maybe soul is in the eye of the beholder. But dammit, I don't want a "soulful" bike that is a PITA to ride and maintain. So eff soul.

My $0.02. :)

I don't see where my not having ridden a Multistrada 1200 will help me understand why you think the FJR has no character. I have ridden several ducs and still have no inkling as to why you think the FJR has no character. Other than its not the bike you want and the MS 1200 is. You don't have to ride or like the same bike as us. Do yourself a favor and don't be the guy that buys the bike that forces him to make compromises he doesn't want to and then blame the bike for it's "shortcomings."

But don't tell me it has no character when the truth seems to be it just doesn't excite you like another bike does. Buy whatever bike floats your boat, you'll be happier that way.

I used to laugh at the whole character comments. I have had numerous BMW's and heard it all the time that a BMW has character and japanese dont....Well, I owned an ST1300 and I can say that bike lacked character but the FJR has alot more character that the ST1300 IMO....but more than anything I think character is just what inspires you, a bike that you feel connected with, as if the rider and bike are one. I have never felt more bonded to a bike than my R1150RT, I guess that gave it character....The FJR doesnt really inspire me but it gets the job done and does pretty good at it. But to define character, its really more in the eyes of the rider....Some bikes I hate, another loves, and vice versa...its why they make many different models and brands.

I bought a new 1973 Kawasaki H2 750 2 stroke triple. Put 10,000 miles on it in 2 years in Alberta with short riding seasons. If anyone here knows that bike, I guess they might say it had "character" usually spelled "insane". Nicknamed the "widowmaker" by many writers. After many, many bikes, street and dirt, I like the character that I can wring out of my feejer.

Boy, this guy sure has gotten everybody's goat (to coin a phrase). And speaking of Bustanut, raising a shitstorm like this used to be domain exclusively. But with a few simple comments, like " It really just felt like a tool, like everyone says here," he's got everybody up in arms. "Everyone" says that? Here? I never said that. Did you say that?

But yeah, I think the bike's got character. And I think the forum's got tools.

I bought a new 1973 Kawasaki H2 750 2 stroke triple. Put 10,000 miles on it in 2 years in Alberta with short riding seasons. If anyone here knows that bike, I guess they might say it had "character" usually spelled "insane". Nicknamed the "widowmaker" by many writers. After many, many bikes, street and dirt, I like the character that I can wring out of my feejer.
HAD A 1975 AND WISH I STILL HAD IT TODAY!!PS THAT 73 IS WORTH ABOUT 15 GRAND!!!