FJR most common issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not strictly an FJR problem, the air filter makes a wonderful mouse nest.[img=[URL="https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/Budsboy/Nest_zpsf6a73cbf.jpg%5D"]https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/Budsboy/Nest_zpsf6a73cbf.jpg][/URL]
Oh, yeah.

Reminds me of some photos that I've seen from fellow Wingabago owners - except that access to the air filter in the FJR is child's play by comparison.

Easily prevented by an application of 1/4" grid hardware cloth.

To the OP: the biggest "issue" at our house is that the F jR is a 1-up bike. MANY folks enjoy multi-day tours 2-up. But when given a choice, my bride ALWAYS points at the rear seat on our Hondapotamus and smiles "yes, please".

To get a good idea of what the real issues have been for the FJR over the years, take a look at the "pinned" threads at the beginning of the "Technical / Mechanical" subforum. This list is also there, up at the top:

Technical/Mechanical ProblemsA summary of observed issues, recalls, and advisories for the FJR
FJRF001 - Valve Ticking / Premature Exhaust Valve Guide Seal Issue (Gen I Bikes) (Fixed since 2006)
FJRF002 - Throttle Abruptness Issue (Gen II Bikes)
FJRF003 - Ignition Failure (primarily Gen II Bikes)
FJRF004 - Altitude Sickness (2006/2007 Bikes)
FJRF005 - Ignition Switch Issue (2006-early 2009 Bikes)
FJRF006 Throttle Position Sensor (First Gen Bikes thru 2005)
FJRF007 - Touring Trunk Stress (2003-2007 models)
FJRF008 - Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT) Issue (All bikes thru ~2009)
FJRF009 - Intermittent Ground Wire Connection "Ground Spider"(second Gen bikes)
FJRF010 - 17 MPG readout issue (early second gens)
FJRF011 - Fast Starter Syndrome (can effect any bike)
FJRF012 - Front Brake Switch Recall (2011)

The most common issue is modification induced wallet deflation.

It goes like this.

1: Replace windshield to reduce buffetting.

2: It's no better, so buy another one.

3: Sell 2nd one because it's even worse than stock, buy a 3rd.

4: It's much better, so sell the first one. You know notice that your ass hurts.

5: Buy a Corbin.

6: Sell a Corbin, buy Sargent. Better, but not great.

7: Go hole hog, buy a Russell. SWEET! Sell Sargent.

8: Notice the Russell lifts you up higher. Your back now hurts and the buffeting is back.

9: Buy risers. Risers help a ton. But they cause your bars to hit windshield and more vertical posture makes buffetting worse.

10: Sell windshield. Buy a barn door. Nirvana! Until the temperatures go over 80F. It's an oven! Put on last windshield for the summer with new Shoei helmet that seems quieter in the showroom.

11: Knees now hurt. Buy peg lowering kit. Better, but now your dragging your pegs all over the place.

12: Buy aftermarket suspension to raise the bike and improve ride quality.

13: Sweet! But now you can't flat foot the bike...

Wife threatens to leave you because you've depleted the kids college fund and the next generation is out, and it's RED. Worse, none of the shit you bought for the old bike will fit the new bike. Start over.

<snip> The most common issue is modification induced wallet deflation.
It goes like this...
Love it, and I'm on FJR #3!

You'd think we would learn after the first...
smile.png

--G

The most common issue is modification induced wallet deflation.
It goes like this.

1: Replace windshield to reduce buffetting.

2: It's no better, so buy another one.

3: Sell 2nd one because it's even worse than stock, buy a 3rd.

4: It's much better, so sell the first one. You know notice that your ass hurts.

5: Buy a Corbin.

6: Sell a Corbin, buy Sargent. Better, but not great.

7: Go hole hog, buy a Russell. SWEET! Sell Sargent.

8: Notice the Russell lifts you up higher. Your back now hurts and the buffeting is back.

9: Buy risers. Risers help a ton. But they cause your bars to hit windshield and more vertical posture makes buffetting worse.

10: Sell windshield. Buy a barn door. Nirvana! Until the temperatures go over 80F. It's an oven! Put on last windshield for the summer with new Shoei helmet that seems quieter in the showroom.

11: Knees now hurt. Buy peg lowering kit. Better, but now your dragging your pegs all over the place.

12: Buy aftermarket suspension to raise the bike and improve ride quality.

13: Sweet! But now you can't flat foot the bike...

Wife threatens to leave you because you've depleted the kids college fund and the next generation is out, and it's RED. Worse, none of the shit you bought for the old bike will fit the new bike. Start over.
smile.png
- I like that one

What are the most common issues/problem areas on the Gen II & III FJR. Or please direct me to the string(s) if previously started.
Start here and here first like we suggested when you signed up.
Gay.
Really?

So when a guy asks to be directed to previous threads and then an admin gently reminds him of the fact that the very threads he is looking for were pointed out when he signed up, and spoon feeds him those links, that's gay?
mda.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the most common issues/problem areas on the Gen II & III FJR. Or please direct me to the string(s) if previously started.
Start here and here first like we suggested when you signed up.
Gay.
Really?

So when a guy asks to be directed to previous threads and then an admin gently reminds him of the fact that the very threads he is looking for were pointed out when he signed up, and spoon feeds him those links, that's gay?
mda.gif
LOL....Yep and I'll tell you why.....there is a forum called Never-Ending, Pointless, Recurring Threads.......so this admin should create one for Never-Ending, Pointless, Recurring Posts......LOL......was there a reason he had to add "like we suggested when you signed up"?? I think not....why bother responding at all? Hence my comment that it was gay. If you'll notice everyone after was very welcoming and helpful. The admin in my opinion was a Never-Ending, Pointless, Recurring Post. Only my opinion...yes.

The biggest issue for me is the ~3200 RPM dead spot. And oh yah. The seat. I had a custom seat made for the bike. Good stuff Maynard.

Does the bike even go down to 3200 rpm once yer on the road?

I have no idea...nor would I be expecting much acceleration down that low below the power band. Now if there was a flat spot between 5 and 7...I guess I would complain about it. I guess if there is...I haven't noticed it.

Live above 5k...that's what I say.

The biggest issue for me is the ~3200 RPM dead spot. And oh yah. The seat. I had a custom seat made for the bike. Good stuff Maynard.
My stock seat was a dead spot. I have a weak spot at ~2000 RPM and a major dead spot at 10,500 RPM.

Mine is easy:

Buy a gen 1 built in '02, seller was nice enough to throw in sporty original wind screen, leave riot shield sized VStream on for winter.

cut a tiny super-sporty screen for canyon blasting from flat plexy just laying around.

change windscreens as the mood or weather warrents

cut the back fender off and make a quick disconnect setup for it.

ride it year round, rain or shine.

put up with the few shortcomings it has. (its too hot/cold/windy/tall/heavy/wet/hard/soft)

plan on getting the original stock seat re-upholstered with real perforated and non-perforated leather. The poor beast is 11 years old and parks in the sun at work every day and the vinyl is getting stiff.

save a ton of money.

Main problems with Gen 1 is that the tank always needs refilling, the tires always need replacing and the fluids always need flushing. Something about directly proportional to miles ridden.
This. The heat is EXTREMELY exaggerated. I live in Mobile AL. and rider erverday in stop and go traffic. Not an issue on my gen 1. Seat is not bad. I have 42 k on the stocker, but recently decided to upgrade if I could do it on the cheap. Other then that the biggest downfall to the FJR is that you will look down your nose at all other bikes after owning one.