FJR poor choice of 2-up city riding?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the FJR but after reading this forum I get the impression that it isn't really a good bike for riding 2-up in the city.
I have never given 2-up city driving a second thought. While we don't ride in Manhattan rush hour traffic every day we have done a lot of city riding. The problem isn't Feejer, it is the traffic in the cities, the city drivers are nuckin futs. I find that Feejer does well in Boston traffic. It allows you to be offensive, err, take positive steps to keep you safe rather than being reactive after a situation is already under way. Big engine power and big brakes rule! A Burgman may be easier to handle but it will be a sheep and you need to be a wolf to survive (IMO) :assasin:

Alan

I use to ride a VStar 1100 and while it wasn't necessarily top heavy, meaning if it got a little leaned over all of a sudden it felt like it weighed 2000lbs. But I could not make a real tight turn on it.

The fjr however I can turn the handlebars all the way to the locked position and do a circle but if I get off balance just a little bit holding the bike up is a PITA.

The bike handles great totally awesome but at low speeds if it does get over on you don't let it get too far or it will be very hard to keep up. The engine mass, tank and fuel are very high up on this bike simply because of its design.

Again, you can search on the net (google) of comparisons of the 1150rt, st1300, fjr1300 and many go back and forth of people that have own/ridden all three in the end you have to ride them to really know if it is the bike for you.

1150rt underpowered handles good.

st1300 power compared to RT some say is top heavy at low speeds.

Me I am biased and love my fjr...

Love my fjr...

Last edited by a moderator:
While I love my FJR , I just dont think its a good city bike solo or 2 up.

stop and go and slow is just not its forte.

Ray

Well, one things for sure, in stop and go driving the clutch lever will make you look like a blacksmith -- one arm twice the size of the other (the hammer arm vs. the tongs arm). <_<

Alan

Fridays and Mondays I do a 120 mile one way commute between work in the city and the sticks and the FJR is perfect.

Tuesday thru Thursday I'm doing a 16 mile round trip all city ands its way overkill. Better than taking the cage but not what I would chose for doing it everyday solo if I had something lighter and just a little more nimble.

2 up though, I don't see where anything else in the city would be a whole lot better than the FJR. Don't need the bags ? - take them off and you've got comfortable sport bike for two with some low end grunt. Need storage and you've already got it.

For solo riding I'm seriously considering a Harley. Sad but true... The Buell Ulysses looks like it could help round out my midweek riding needs ( and other aspirations)nicely as long as the FJR stays in the stable too. It could also be a little easier to haul two up around town on a regular basis if thats all the further and faster you plan to travel.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy that 120 mile commute in all weather conditions at 70- 80 miles an hour on it as much as I do the FJR.

Well ...I may get a bad reaction here with my 2 up city choice and if you are out to make a fashion statement I think it certainly would do the exact oposite. The first time I saw one I went "what the HELL was that???" ...but I have ridden one and have seen for myself that it is an absolutely great bike.

https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_v-strom_650_2005.php

Now don't get me wrong ...it'll never take the place or even come close to an FJR or Honda ST but it is so easy to ride and so much fun that you may want to keep one around just for you both to play and explore on. Don't just take my word for it, check out the V-Strom forums.

BOUNCE"Suz's "Wee-Strom" is the DL650 version of the V-Strom DL1000. Lots of good reports for that one."

--------------------

Mark Johnson, IBA #288

Ft. Worth, TX

RogerB B)

Self appointed pointless thread LEADER :bleh:

PS. The ST is too heavy even solo. For those trips take the Feejer! :D

...and no I don't work for Suzuki ...never even owned one yet. :bigeyes:

Pointless thread. It is like oil.

I love it in the city. No problem 2-up. I'm 6'1'' my wife is 5'4" and are both athletic.

I suppose two fatties on an FJR is not a good thing, and a weak rider on an FJR is not good.

Your choice, but I don't know what would be a great 2-up stop and go bike. Something short and small ??

Maybe you need to look at the FZ-1 or FZ-6.

I am not sure this is a great choice but what about a dual sport. I have a KLR 650 and around town by myself it is great. You are sitting upright to see over traffic, it has wide handle bars for quicker steering, only weighs about 400, has adequate acceleration but no FJR, and I think that the room is there for both. It would be more of a bike for a 5'10" or taller person I would think if you are riding two up.

So is the consensus (with a few dissenters) pretty much that the FJR is great on the open highway, but a bit difficult to maneuver in city riding. Would this be a terrible bike for commuting? I really want to have a single bike that commutes, goes the distance, and is fun in the twisties. Maybe I should be looking at adventure sports? (Buell XB12X, KTM950A, V-Strom)?? One of my buds at work has an old Honda UJB and tells me UJB's are the best all-rounders.

I'm 5'8" and no problem two up. Just need to be mindful of significant pavement dips/humps at some intersections. Although I have it, but didn't lower it, you can get a Wilbers with the ride height adjustment (or other ways). You may lose some clearance, but depends on how you ride.

A member of the club I belong to is short of stature, and he solved his problem by taking his riding boots to a shoe repairman and had 1" added to the heel and sole. His problem solved.

I am thinking seriously of the FJR. My wife told me to get a bigger bike so she could ride with me. But I know that in reality I will be the only one on the bike 99.9% of the time. I may get her to ride into town for dinner and maybe a stray weekend getaway or two but for the most part It'll just be me. When I get ready to buy I am going to try a BMW RT, ST1300, and the FJR. Hell, I may even try out a Connie or even a Ulysses. I currently ride an 85 VF700F. Its a great bike but 66hp and 470+lbs aren't the most exciting combo. I'm ready for something with an attitude.

I recently tested a BMW Rockster. Low cg, wet weight of 527 lbs., comfy seat, and great low speed handling. And most dealers will let you test ride one (try that at your Yamie dealer). I would not recommed the FJR for city driving.

I recently tested a BMW Rockster. Low cg, wet weight of 527 lbs., comfy seat, and great low speed handling. And most dealers will let you test ride one (try that at your Yamie dealer). I would not recommed the FJR for city driving.
Why?

Mike

Maybe someone might want to tell Virgin that using the FJR as a 2-wheel taxi (Like they have been doing in England for some time) is not a good idea...........

My wife being 5'11 and only guessing at her weight her but at least 180lbs finds that the rear seat on the fjr is A: to small meaning from my back to the tie down bars.
That seems strange to me. All 3 of my daughters and my wife all commented on how roomy the pillion seat was the first time they got on it. One of my daughters is a light weight, one is about average and the third outweighs me.

Last time I was in NYC there were a lot of scooters there. Easy to maneuver through traffic and easy to park. If I were looking for something solely for transportation around the city it might be a scooter. Can't imagine it would be much fun once you get outside the city.

<---- Hey, what's this pink warning thing mean? Something new?

My wife being 5'11 and only guessing at her weight her but at least 180lbs finds that the rear seat on the fjr is A: to small meaning from my back to the tie down bars.
That seems strange to me. All 3 of my daughters and my wife all commented on how roomy the pillion seat was the first time they got on it. One of my daughters is a light weight, one is about average and the third outweighs me.

Last time I was in NYC there were a lot of scooters there. Easy to maneuver through traffic and easy to park. If I were looking for something solely for transportation around the city it might be a scooter. Can't imagine it would be much fun once you get outside the city.

<---- Hey, what's this pink warning thing mean? Something new?
Take all of this for one guys experience. My wife really has only spent any and I do mean any time on the Electra Glide Classic so maybe she just got on and made that evaluation based on that I don't know.

So is the consensus (with a few dissenters) pretty much that the FJR is great on the open highway, but a bit difficult to maneuver in city riding. Would this be a terrible bike for commuting? I really want to have a single bike that commutes, goes the distance, and is fun in the twisties. Maybe I should be looking at adventure sports? (Buell XB12X, KTM950A, V-Strom)?? One of my buds at work has an old Honda UJB and tells me UJB's are the best all-rounders.
This bike handles awesome, no problems with any kind of driving.

I think those that have mentioned top heavy is because the starter of this thread did.

I can lock the forks against the stops and do a circle on this bike. It handles great.

Now for any any any bike like this (sport tourer) they are usually a little high. If you are short or have short legs and it gets leaned over it is hard to keep up but still in my opinion no worse than other sport touring bikes.

This bike has many more advantage than disadvantages and if you ever get the chance to ride/own one you will not be dissapointed. Unless of course everything dissapoints you.