FJR poor choice of 2-up city riding?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take all of this for one guys experience. My wife really has only spent any and I do mean any time on the Electra Glide Classic so maybe she just got on and made that evaluation based on that I don't know.
Yeah, it makes sense that they are comparing to what they were used to from previous bikes. My previous bike was a Maxim 750. Not a bad seat on it but basically a smaller bike all around. I do most of my riding solo. My wife and oldest daughter take turns with the Maxim, but the daughter has her eye on an R6 once she graduates college and starts earning some money. .

My wife, all 5 foot of her, says she likes the seat (stock Yamaha). Says the foot pegs are good for her hieght and says the bags snug up to her legs very comfortablly. Taller passengers may not agree with this evaluation.

I used to dispatch ride in central london, best bikes all had similar characteristics.

Light, narrow, torque+++, upright seating, straight bars + cheap,-> SuperMotad.

typically a twin, V or parallel, KLR, Vstrom 650, KTM, DR-650.

Some small I-4's no bigger than a 600 (not a GSX or CBR, look at a Bandit).

Regear it lower, acceleration is your friend not top speed.

Why cheap, it's going to get dinged and the high risk of theft in the city.

Forget the plastic, you will only have to repair it.

If you are going to put cases on it get metal ones.

Also a monster chain and lock it to something solid.

Hand protectors and engine bars highly recommended.

Also buy a pair of big arsed MX boots and heavy gloves.

It's a rough environment for a bike and rider.

We were out riding yesterday and I was asking my wife what she didn't like about the FJR. Her biggest complaint was getting on and off when I have the side bags and top case on it. She says it's much easier to get on and off when I leave them at home. Her other complaint is that her knees are stiff from being in the same position for so long, but I would that a problem encountered with motorcycles in general. I know my knees sound like they could use some 3-in-1 oil when I stop to gas up.

Again, as far as handling we were out riding yesterday for about 40 miles of mostly city driving and the bike handles great. U-turns are no problem, and I can buzz through parking lots with her on the back. Freeways are completely smooth as well.

What the max carrying capacity on the FJR with the stock suspension?

Her other complaint is that her knees are stiff from being in the same position for so long, but I would that a problem encountered with motorcycles in general. I know my knees sound like they could use some 3-in-1 oil when I stop to gas up.
I came from many years of riding cruisers to the fjr. I will say that on my cruisers my knees would bother me also if I left them even in one position for very long.

When I first got the fjr it took me probably 2 weeks riding everyday before my body got use to the position. Now I rarely notice any knee problems on my 45 mile one way ride. Now longer than that I am sure I will start having to stretch but I noticed the same thing even on the Electra Glide if I didn't move around... I will say that on the Harley it was hard to move around because of the way they put that wind guard at your shin you have to lift your leg entirely over it to stretch.

I know some see this at a pointless thread but I can't say enough that motorcycles are like cars. There are so many different cars and so many things that people look for in each one.

If you like Corvette's for their power and handling you give up some road comfort and interior room. They are all a compromise of something, figure out what style of riding you really want to do and get a bike best suited for that.

I personally struggled between the fjr and an all out sport bike like the R6. Almost everyday I still wonder what one is like because I have never ridden one. Someday maybe I will get the chance to do an hour or so on one to finally put it at rest. In the meantime I will enjoy my fjr...

My wife loves the passenger accomodations on the FJR. Fits her 5-2 frame just fine. She absolutely hated (who wouldn't) the back seat on my Warrior. That said, the beast is a little bit of a hand full in stop and go traffic with a passenger. But put a pax on ANY bike and it is instantly more top heavy.

Get a moped with a little bit of guts if you want a city bike. :lol:

5"7", 140lbs, 30"inseam. Wife 5'5", 118lbs. Stock everything except for windscreen, top case and risers.

Many many hours, days of two-up city driving, (we live in a major city). No problems at all. Bike handles easily, parking on street corners or between cars is easy, hills no problems even laden with fruit, vegetables and wine (or clothes and gifts)... this bike is NOT top heavy. Just don't park facing into a curb or over a manhole grate or pothole, don't park facing downhill with your bumper against an imovable object, don't forget to put your feet down when you come to a stop, don't try to filter with the bags on, be stable and not putting your glasses on when your partner suddenly decides to mount the bike...

I use this bike for just about everything and I ain't BIG... I found the ST 1300 more difficult around town, and my wife's old Lambretta a total dream in the city...

vdoguy said " Wife 5'5", 118lbs. Stock everything except for windscreen, top case and risers. "

I couldn't let this one slide - so there have been some enhancements to the upper portion. Pics of the top case? :chicka:

:D

It was a lazy high and just outside pitch that I had to swing at!

No probs here either 6'0 200lbs 33" inseam, pass 5'8 130lbs 32"INSEAM. Live i big metro area w/ no probs in traffic.anything above 90 and it gets a little irritating but thats what i get for poor time management. She loves the bike bike gets pissed if i leave her off on my own. :beee: By the way this is also my first bike and i wouldn't have any other way.