FJR Recall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaha1300rider

Reaction score
FYI Yamaha have recalled all 2002-2004 fjr's due to a problem with the throttle position sensor which could cause the bike to stall

FYI Yamaha have recalled all 2002-2004 fjr's due to a problem with the throttle position sensor which could cause the bike to stall
I would imagine this is a worldwide thing with Yamaha. First covered here.

I'll leave this thread open in case people want to discuss the issue specifically related to the UK....or maybe other European countries.

Got my Yamaha Motor (UK) recall letter in this morning's post.

"...the factory has identified a potential defect with your machine's Throttle Position sensor (TPS), whereby under certain circumstances, the idle speed of the engine may become intermittently unstable. In rare cases, this may result in the engine stalling where the machine is stationary or even in certain circumstances, when travelling at low speed and in the extreme, with the potential for the loss of full control of the machine."

Think I'll hang on a bit and let my local dealer practise on someone else's machine first.

Just recieved my Canadian recall notice. Interesting note "YOU ARE REQUESTED TO VOID OPERATING YOUR MOTORCYCLE UNTIL THIS MODIFICATION IS PERFORMED" . Affects all 2003fjr1300r, all 2004 fjr1300s/as and certin 2005 fjr1300t/at's

The TPS is a wear-out item, nothing inside it breaks or burns up causing a sudden failure. Many TPS have gone the distance, but a lot haven't. You are being offered a chance to improve your long term odds at no cost with just a bit of inconvenience while they have your bike. The TPS is a low risk install, chances of the dealer bungling the job is fairly low.

A TPS that is beginning its death march may begin with little glitches that you could overlook for some time. Looking back, my first indication that the TPS was in the beginning phase of failure was a no-start episode. Then one day while the engine was very hot it ran like crap below 4k rpm. Then the 'surging' started getting worse. In reality what I was attributing to the normal factory installed light engine load surging was actually the TPS entering the middle phase of failing. At all times my TPS passed a diAG test and an ohm test. It wasn't until I hooked a volt meter to the TPS and went for a ride that I conclusively identified the TPS as failing. While riding my bike and monitoring the TPS voltage there was an incontrovertible relationship between a voltage glitch and an engine hiccup. In went a new TPS and all symptoms have gone away. While working on my bike a couple of weeks ago I went for a ride with the DMM hooked up to the TPS and the voltage was rock solid, as was the engine performance.

I called University Motors (USA) and told them I was looking for TPS P/N 5PS-85885-00-00, but when Gary looked up the TPS for my '04 Yamaha had a new number for it, a 5PS-85885-01-00 which is the part specified for the '06 FJRs. The P/N is that is being installed as part of the recall is:

Part Number....5PS-85885-01-00

Description....TPS (includes new seal)

Application....FJRl300/A

Qty............1

Dealer Cost....$66.71 (USA cost)

Got my recall leter from Yamaha UK today. Being replaced along with the 24K service in December. OK to ride until then although it gives me an excuse to take the 1200 Bandit out for a few longer rides.

Dave

FJR1300A 05

Bandit 1200 01

Got my recall leter from Yamaha UK today. Being replaced along with the 24K service in December. OK to ride until then although it gives me an excuse to take the 1200 Bandit out for a few longer rides.
Dave

FJR1300A 05

Bandit 1200 01
Dave,

can you give us an idea of the verbiage used by Mama Yama to break the good news to you? ;)

Here in "Mainland Europe" :rolleyes: nary a word on the recall...

Stef

Dave

FJR1300A 05

Bandit 1200 01
Dave,

can you give us an idea of the verbiage used by Mama Yama to break the good news to you? ;)

Here in "Mainland Europe" :rolleyes: nary a word on the recall...

Stef

"..... a potential defect has been indentified with your machine's throttle position sensor (TPS), whereby under certain circumstances, the idle speed of the engine may become intermittently unstable. In rare cases, this may result in the engine stalling where the machine is stationary or even in certain circumstances, when travelling at low speeds and in the extreme, with the potential for the loss of full control of the machine.

For safety reasons therefore, we would like to advise to contact your authorised Yamaha dealer...... to arrange for them to inspect the TPS and if neccessary fit a revised part.....This will of course be carried out free of charge..."

My bike has not shown any of the stated symptoms in 24000 miles but my dealer is replacing the TPS anyway. They have not advised that it is unsafe to ride the bike.

The numbers quoted on other posts seem to refer to N American bikes only but this recall does seem to be world wide USA,Canad, Australia and the UK so far. It will probably not be to long before the rest of Europe catches up.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
"..... a potential defect has been indentified with your machine's throttle position sensor (TPS), whereby under certain circumstances, the idle speed of the engine may become intermittently unstable. In rare cases, this may result in the engine stalling where the machine is stationary or even in certain circumstances, when travelling at low speeds and in the extreme, with the potential for the loss of full control of the machine.
For safety reasons therefore, we would like to advise to contact your authorised Yamaha dealer...... to arrange for them to inspect the TPS and if neccessary fit a revised part.....This will of course be carried out free of charge..."

My bike has not shown any of the stated symptoms in 24000 miles but my dealer is replacing the TPS anyway. They have not advised that it is unsafe to ride the bike. FYI my vin is .... RP1150007069

The numbers quoted on other posts seem to refer to N American bikes only but this recall does seem to be world wide USA, Australia and the UK so far. It will probably not be to long before the rest of Europe catches up.

Dave
Thanks Dave, much appreciated! :)

Stef