FJR + short inseam + uneven pavement = oh crap...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just moved up to the 07 FJR. I've got a fairly short inseam for an average-height guy (30-31"), so I really can't flatfoot it like my prior bikes. Usually I'm on the balls of my feet. Between that and the extra 250lbs of wet weight, I'm finding myself regularly getting stuck... like rolling backwards out of a driveway and getting stuck in the gutter/depression between the driveway's slope and the road camber... or worse, pulling into a blind parking area and suddenly finding myself doing 2 mph on a sideways slope with nowhere to go, on an angle where I just don't have enough leg length to keep the bike upright. I've already dropped it once (gutter was wet; my feet just went slip-boom!) and damn near lost it this weekend on a sloped gravel parking area where my downhill foot couldn't get any traction. Luckily a friend was there to run over and hold up the bike until I could get the kickstand down.
Are there any aftermarket seats that give you a little lower ride? I haven't run across any yet. I'm learning (the hard way) what to look out for, but there are always situations where you don't realize you're going to get trapped until after you've pulled in. An inch lower and I'd have a lot more control...

Orbitr - At the suggestion of another forum member, I went to www.adjustmenttech.com, and bought Adjustment Tech Fixed Ride Height Adjusters

("dogbone links") to lower the suspension in the back. Cheaper than a Corbin seat, and I like the FJR stock seat OK. I'm shorter than you (28-29" inseam), and the minimal lowering (a choice of two lowering heights is possible) made a big difference, satisfactory for me. I've been warned about possible bad effects from reducing the suspension travel as a consequence of using the links, but have had no problem, even in the mountains with luggage full and a top bag. Installation was easy (my Yamaha dealer did it in a flash along with the 600-mile check-up). Adjustmenttech also offers an variably adjustable gadget ("Fully Adjustable Ride Height Adjusters") for lowering the back, and the rider who sent me to adjustementtech.com told me that he has been very happy with that. I wanted a cheaper, simpler solution, even if not so flexible, and it's worked fine for me. Good luck!

- JKHDallas

I just moved up to the 07 FJR. I've got a fairly short inseam for an average-height guy (30-31"), so I really can't flatfoot it like my prior bikes. Usually I'm on the balls of my feet. Between that and the extra 250lbs of wet weight, I'm finding myself regularly getting stuck... like rolling backwards out of a driveway and getting stuck in the gutter/depression between the driveway's slope and the road camber... or worse, pulling into a blind parking area and suddenly finding myself doing 2 mph on a sideways slope with nowhere to go, on an angle where I just don't have enough leg length to keep the bike upright. I've already dropped it once (gutter was wet; my feet just went slip-boom!) and damn near lost it this weekend on a sloped gravel parking area where my downhill foot couldn't get any traction. Luckily a friend was there to run over and hold up the bike until I could get the kickstand down.
Are there any aftermarket seats that give you a little lower ride? I haven't run across any yet. I'm learning (the hard way) what to look out for, but there are always situations where you don't realize you're going to get trapped until after you've pulled in. An inch lower and I'd have a lot more control...
Orbitr- Two other comments about the effects of lowering the bike with adjustment tech links:

1) The side-stand will prop the bike at a more vertical angle, and increase the risk of someone knocking the bike over in the other direction when it's parked. Be careful to park where there is a level surface, or where the surface on the left side is lower.

2) Lowering the bike makes it harder to pull the bike up onto the center stand when parking, because lowering the bike affects the weight distribution and leverage that you use when pulling the bike up. It's still do-able, but harder. Even harder with luggage, but still do-able.

No regrets here at not having the Corbin seat (though those seats do look mighty nice). Still don't want platform heels either; I'd trip and break my arm.

- JKHDallas

I ride an 05 with a 29 inch inseam....never had a problem. I haven't lowered the bike....just don't ask me to back it up on an incline :blink:

Glad to see I am not alone in this one and happy you brought this up. My driveway is uneven and have dropped mine twice.The FJR is quite a handful. I dropped it in the triple trees about 3/8 of an inch only to find the damn thing sits too upright now for the side stand and got blown over by a storm.Glad I didnt have the bags or the Givi on it.Maybe Skyway can fabricate a side stand for us 30' inseamers

It's the equivalent to :Skinny man+ fat wife+bottle of JD+ fat joke! I think we know what happens after the = sign.

I've got 29" inside leg (inseam) and I'm about to install the ride-height lowering kit this weekend. I got it from the FJCLUB. Should lower it about an inch. Must admit though, I'm concerned about the effectiveness of the sidestand when the bike's lowered, not to mention the increased effort required to get it on the centre-stand.

I'll take some pix of the install and report on the effectiveness.

Last edited by a moderator:
is it posible that one or two of you guys put to much body weight on your legs & not enuf on the seat to compress the rear shocks? (Put your azz into it).

Maybe keeping the suspention setting on soft and stop by crispy creme more often.

Corbin, Corbin, Rocky Mayer, I might add. ;)
I went to Rocky for the purpose of getting a lower seat on my 03. The 27" inseam doesn't fit well with a 31.7" seat height. He gave me the choice of a lower seat or an all day riding seat, with the understanding that I couldn't have both. I chose the latter.

Dog bones have lowered my bike 3/4". The down side to that is that I can no longer use the center stand. If I were a very aggressive rider, I'd notice the reduction of lean angle, but I'm not - so I don't. Had to adjust the side stand stop too, since the bike no longer leans enough when parked.

I've learned to plan parking spaces with either a way to ride out, or a buddy to help me get out. Of course, it helps being a girl because it's not a big deal to ask for help.

Jill

PS Rocky was right about the all day seat. I don't even notice it, at the end of a long day.

Yeah the FJR is quite a handful. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and I still find my wife's FJR pretty awkward to handle in parking-lot situations, particularly with the winged Russell saddle she has on it now.
I think Yamaha designed this bike for tall, leggy women. My wife, with her 36" inseam, handles the thing better than I can.

Your wife has a 36" inseam? Holy crap.

Totally got me beat this. I have heard this on here before.

I have an 05 with a standard seat.

I have one leg at 31" and the other at 29" (broken femur in an earlier life).

Both my feet flat foot easily....are your bikes 2" higher than ours?

Yeah the FJR is quite a handful. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and I still find my wife's FJR pretty awkward to handle in parking-lot situations, particularly with the winged Russell saddle she has on it now.
I think Yamaha designed this bike for tall, leggy women. My wife, with her 36" inseam, handles the thing better than I can.

Your wife has a 36" inseam? Holy crap.
You noticed that too!

You can fix the side stand issue with a grinder. Take some metal off the side stand leg where it touches the stopper peg. Take a little off at a time. It doesn't take much to change it to a serious lean angle.

You can fix the side stand issue with a grinder. Take some metal off the side stand leg where it touches the stopper peg. Take a little off at a time. It doesn't take much to change it to a serious lean angle.
'Tis already done. DH modified the arrangement for me. Now, of course, I have to beware of parking in places where it could lean TOO far and I struggle to lift it up straight. Aarrgghh! the trials of being short. Then again, I could ride a Honda Rebel couldn't I? I'm the one choosing to ride the big bike so I can't complain.

Jill

... My wife, with her 36" inseam, handles the thing better than I can.
I truly labored over some way to respond to this. I'm sooo glad that somebody else said "holy crap!" before I did. :)

So here's my response (which, of course, has absolutely nothing to do with the thread topic), but it makes me feel better to get it off my chest.

ALL women have EXACTLY the same length legs. They all reach from the ground to Heaven!

:)

I just moved up to the 07 FJR. I've got a fairly short inseam for an average-height guy (30-31"), so I really can't flatfoot it like my prior bikes.

2) Lowering the bike makes it harder to pull the bike up onto the center stand when parking, because lowering the bike affects the weight distribution and leverage that you use when pulling the bike up. It's still do-able, but harder. Even harder with luggage, but still do-able.

I lowered mine also, though when hauling a pillion I had no problem flat footing. I found (through a Forum search) that a 2" x 6" board with one edge cut at a 45 degree angle solve the center stand problem. Just back the wheel onto the board and she lifts very easily (as when it was stock).

Capt. Bob

I lowered my 06 the cheap/easy way. I removed the 1/2" rubber grommets from under the seat and glued rubber washers in their place.

This method hasan't scratched the paint yet and it seems to work for me.

Thanks, everybody, for some fantastic suggestions. The boot situation's already taken care of... I always ride with boots with a decent sole thickness, so nothing more I can do there (and still be able to comfortably walk in the boots). I'll take a look at the seats, since I'd rather do that than change the bike's overall height...I already scrape pegs, being used to my little lean-it-to-the-pavement Ducati.

Probably the best way for me to lower my seat height would be to lower...my seat. There's more padding back there than I'd like...sigh...part of being almost 50. Hello, Jenny Craig?

Thanks for the encouragement too...nice to know I'm not the only one having this problem. I certainly felt like a putz when it happened! :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Orbitr,Let's get them triple trees adjusted up a little for ya!! If you need a hand doing it let me know and we could hook up.

Welcome to the forum!!

JW

Thanks!!! What part of town are you in, by the way? (I'm in East Atlanta Village, near Moreland/I-20)

...and get some KISSTM platform motorcycle boots ??
The sad thing is...someone probably makes 'em. Those guys are gazillionaires, mostly from merchandise licensing.

I lowered my 06 the cheap/easy way. I removed the 1/2" rubber grommets from under the seat and glued rubber washers in their place. This method hasan't scratched the paint yet and it seems to work for me.
THAT's a fantastic idea.