FJR vs Concourse: Which in these areas???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MCRIDER007 has both you may want to PM him. At least last year he had both bikes. You may want to also search his good writeups in the past he has very balanced reviews of both bikes. I think in summary you can't go wrong with either bike.

I've searched and read the vs's threads, and:
I dont want a LT or GW or EG.

Thanks, I know these ?'s have prolly been asked before, but..... what else do you have to do?? To hot to ride here.
Only one problem, what's a LT or GW or EG?

LT = BMW LT (German Gold Wing)

GW = Honda Gold Wing (Japanese LT)

EG = HD Electra Glide (Ukrainian ditch pump)

You're question may be best answered if posted on a Friday . . . say about 2:00pm EST . . .

Personally . . . I thought the Connie looked great on paper and on Kaw's web-site . . . then I saw that fugly bitch in person and didn't even care to sit on her. Granted her front profile is appealing . . . but she's a bit flat looking and slab-sided for my taste and I think that canon-size mono-exhaust is a little aesthetically out of balance . . . but that's my personal preference.

Then again the FJR's design is getting a little long in the tooth . . . but maybe it's because near perfection is difficult to improve upon.

Ride what you like. Like what you ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 5'11" and 200lbs, wife is 5' and 120lbs. Got a dirt bike, got a good Dual Sport bike, looking for a road bike to go on 2-5 day trips on.1) A better 2 up touring bike?? And I dont want a LT or GW or EG.
People will say one or the other, but it's all flavor & +1 to Mike's writing to try them both. The C14 carries more weight and higher, plus the pillion seems higher, but an hour on either and you sound big enough to adjust.

2) Which is easier to do garage maintance on?? Oil change, valves, plugs, etc??
Hands-down, the FJR wins this one. And a LOT less of it, too. This is one of the places the C14 just comes up totally short.

3) Which bike excells in being easier to farkle with electric stuff?? GPS's, Hand grips, radar det, etc, Or meybe , which will run the most electrics stock??4) Which bike is easier, or better able to set up the suspension for 2 up with luggage?? For example, I had to spend a lot of money on a Wilber's shock for my GSA to make it a good 2 up machine... Which is easier/cheaper to set up from stock for 2 up??

5) Which bike, or will either be able to pull a small trailer for 2 up camping??? Which is easiest to wire and set up a hitch for??
Draw. They're both universal Jap design and have gobs of extra power.

6) Which gets the better gas milage?? MPG's??
FJR wins easily, and on cheaper gas. Coming off last week's commuting, I was averaging 53 mpg. Realize that most of that particular week was nice smooth 40-60 mph for 37 miles each way and without lots of stop & go, which was rare. New tank and I beat back roads yesterday, driving it into the 41-42-ish mpg range. I figure 47-48-ish for slab at 65-80 mph.

You left out that the pre-2010 C14 had a lot of styling differences that looked crude and cheap, plus had serious heat problems, beyond the early FJRs. Before buying any C14, I would ride one long enough on a hot day to make sure the engine heat doesn't kill the deal.

About a week ago I was able to demo the new 2010 Concourse. I rode it about 1pm and the outside air temp was around 93. I felt no heat off this bike at all. Actually I felt more heat off the road than anything else. To me that bike is damn near perfect. I love my FJR but that new Concourse is o so tempting me towards more debt. I am going to ride it again near the end of the month with my wife along. So we will see what happens.

I own a 2003 GenI FJR and in December rode a 2008 Connie 2 up for a month in NZ. Biggest difference for me was that the Connie liked to go straight, while my FJR loves to turn. I'd guess most of this may be the 190 rear on the Connie, but could have been the rake and trail? The other difference was having to turn the RPM's up on the Connie to get it to go. Plenty of low end grunt for me on the FJR. However, if I were in the new bike market, and I'm not, I'd have to take a hard look at the 2010 Connie.

I own a 2003 GenI FJR and in December rode a 2008 Connie 2 up for a month in NZ. Biggest difference for me was that the Connie liked to go straight, while my FJR loves to turn. I'd guess most of this may be the 190 rear on the Connie, but could have been the rake and trail? The other difference was having to turn the RPM's up on the Connie to get it to go. Plenty of low end grunt for me on the FJR. However, if I were in the new bike market, and I'm not, I'd have to take a hard look at the 2010 Connie.
Hey Jim!!

Considering the choice between a C14 and a Gen II.......well, nevermind. :evil:

MCRIDER007 has both you may want to PM him. At least last year he had both bikes. You may want to also search his good writeups in the past he has very balanced reviews of both bikes. I think in summary you can't go wrong with either bike.
I still have both bikes but do not ride 2 up, have not added farkles on either, and don't pull a trailer so I can't respond to most of the questions. The FJR gets better fuel mileage, has much better heat management, better suspension, and is a better touring bike. I also think it would be better for carrying a passenger because the passenger's weight would be carried lower. The only advantage the C14 has as a touring bike is that it has at least 50 percent more luggage capacity in the saddlebags. The C14 with its more powerful engine, firm suspension, and greater ground clearance makes a better old man's sport bike but if I could only have one it would be the FJR.

I'm 5'11" and 200lbs, wife is 5' and 120lbs. Got a dirt bike, got a good Dual Sport bike, looking for a road bike to go on 2-5 day trips on.1) A better 2 up touring bike?? And I dont want a LT or GW or EG.
People will say one or the other, but it's all flavor & +1 to Mike's writing to try them both. The C14 carries more weight and higher, plus the pillion seems higher, but an hour on either and you sound big enough to adjust.

2) Which is easier to do garage maintance on?? Oil change, valves, plugs, etc??
Hands-down, the FJR wins this one. And a LOT less of it, too. This is one of the places the C14 just comes up totally short.

3) Which bike excells in being easier to farkle with electric stuff?? GPS's, Hand grips, radar det, etc, Or meybe , which will run the most electrics stock??4) Which bike is easier, or better able to set up the suspension for 2 up with luggage?? For example, I had to spend a lot of money on a Wilber's shock for my GSA to make it a good 2 up machine... Which is easier/cheaper to set up from stock for 2 up??

5) Which bike, or will either be able to pull a small trailer for 2 up camping??? Which is easiest to wire and set up a hitch for??
Draw. They're both universal Jap design and have gobs of extra power.

6) Which gets the better gas milage?? MPG's??
FJR wins easily, and on cheaper gas. Coming off last week's commuting, I was averaging 53 mpg. Realize that most of that particular week was nice smooth 40-60 mph for 37 miles each way and without lots of stop & go, which was rare. New tank and I beat back roads yesterday, driving it into the 41-42-ish mpg range. I figure 47-48-ish for slab at 65-80 mph.

You left out that the pre-2010 C14 had a lot of styling differences that looked crude and cheap, plus had serious heat problems, beyond the early FJRs. Before buying any C14, I would ride one long enough on a hot day to make sure the engine heat doesn't kill the deal.
Well, I usually just lurk around here and don't say too much, but I have some experience with this area. I own a 2004 FJR1300S (non-ABS), and used to work at a Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer, actually I un-crated the first Concours in Nova Scotia! Anyway, I have had the opportunity to ride a Concours for a day and found it to be a very nice motorcycle, handles well, very smooth and pretty comfortable. What I didn't care for was it's "bulbous" appearance, a bit heavy feeling and a general lack of soul. I do like the 6th gear which has been a peev of mine since day-1 on my FJR, but that's not enough to get me to make a change.

I had high hope for the "new" Concours, after having ridden the ZX14, (an amazing bike) I even thought about sport-touring one up, but after adding saddlebags, bar risers, taller windscreen etc. it wasn't looking like a good move from my beloved FJR.

Anyway, as always, my advice is to ride both (if available) and suit yourself, because everyone has a different opinion and "there is an asshole for every seat" (I love that quote). As far as farkling, I know the FJR has tons that are easily do-able, the Connie???

Hope this was of some use to you.

Paul

I read the MC.N on the yamaha, kawasaki, honda ,They rode 1700 miles on all 3 and the kawaie comes in number 1.With the yamaha number 2 , From what the testers were saying they think yamaha will step up to the plate real soon to compete with Kawasaki

Either mount will provide a good solution to your needs. Most of the items you have inquired about are not deal breakers in my opinion. In the end, most everything you want can be done by/to both. For me, the crucial items are those that can't be changed, fixed or improved regardless of how much time or money you have. Since I spend most of my year riding in high temps, heat is a big issue for me. Don't get me wrong, the FJ is not a "cool ride" by any stretch, but the Connie (prior to 2010) has always been gigged for high heat issues. If you ride in a typically cooler climate, this might not be an issue. I prefer to make a list of negative characteristics (defined as things that can't be changed after the purchase) and then decide which ones I can or can't live with. It will be a short list for either bike. In the end...it's a decision best made from the heart and not the head.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the most obvious flaw with the C-14. It only has one muffler and therefore it is lopsided and unbalanced not to mention offensive to anyone who appreciates symmetry. :D If you ride it without your hands on the handlebars it will most likely only go in circles. Do you want to be forced to ride in circles? :rolleyes:

Anyhow...as previously mentioned the MCN report is out now and overall they ranked the C-14 1st, FJR 2nd and VFR1200 last. They state that Kawi listened and made significant improvements to the C-14 for 2010. I still am put off by the KiPass system (as were the test riders).

I don't think you can go wrong with either bike. Good luck with your decision.

I've searched and read the vs's threads, and:
I dont want a LT or GW or EG.

Thanks, I know these ?'s have prolly been asked before, but..... what else do you have to do?? To hot to ride here.
Only one problem, what's a LT or GW or EG?

LT = BMW LT (German Gold Wing)

GW = Honda Gold Wing (Japanese LT)

EG = HD Electra Glide (Ukrainian ditch pump)
I'm new to the forum so I'm learning the personalities. RadioHowie just caused me to spew beer all over my PC.

Bill

Latest posts