fjr1300 Gear oil.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldBoy123

Reaction score
Hi im a new owner of a 2004 FJR.

I was wondering if my local YAMAHA Dealer was ripping me off?

You see today I was there purchasing some Final Drive gear oil for my FJR.

Im SHOCKED at the price I had paid for a little .5mm bottle of the stuff.

Out the door 28 Bucks. And over 60 bucks for a little oil filter and five bottles of oil.

Why? fjr motor oil, oil Filter and this little amount of gear oil cost so dam much?

Is there not a less expensive way to go?

Yes, buy the stuff online and have it shipped to you.

Do a search. I just posted on this topic within the last week showing what the properly spec'd gear oil is for the FJR, and how to obtain it cheaply.

Or.....go buy Mobil1 75W-90 gear oil from any auto parts store. While there, get the Purolator PL14610 (I think) filter, and a gallon of Rotella T 15W-40 motor oil.

Amsoil has good stuff, too......check them out.

KNOW YOUR LOCAL AMSOIL DEALER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes SkooterG

The picture you posted on that form post you listed is the stuff I put in.

Next time I will find something on-line cheaper?

I gess if you paid 18 bucks a bottle. Then the dealer did not rip-me-off at 28 out the door?

Some paid 32? I feel a little better.

He was running low on vasoline he let you slip a little

Read all about oil on the forum it will head you in the correct direction

Yes SkooterGThe picture you posted on that form post you listed is the stuff I put in.

Next time I will find something on-line cheaper?

I gess if you paid 18 bucks a bottle. Then the dealer did not rip-me-off at 28 out the door?

Some paid 32? I feel a little better.
There's enough in the .5 L bottle to do two changes, so put it in a safe place, and use it the next time too.

Amsoil has pubilished one of their "White Papers" for Gear Oil that concludes that their stuff ( NO SURPRISE HERE ) and Mobil 1 75W90 are the top rated gear oils among their comparison products.

The report is a good read if you're into this sort of stuff. It offers up a bunch of test results that help to understand the operating environment for GL-5 lubricants. It is in pdf format so it makes for an easy download.

Both the Amsoil product and Mobil 1 75W90 are a damned site cheaper than the moto products. Keep in mind that these lubricants have to meet published standards. From that point alone, I conclude the motorcycle manufacturer's stuff in not substantially better than the rest of the offerings.

Being contradictory, I run AMSOIL 10W40 and bought the Mobil 1 75W90 at Autozone because it was cheaper. I also change the gear oil with every rear tire change.

Enjoy the Amsoil Gear Oil article: Amsoil GL-5 Gear Oil White Paper

Well, it looks like final drive oil didn't make it into the Best of NEPRT. With that and some new tire threads, I have some work to do when I get back from NAFO.

I use royal purple products. Learned of them from some very good mechanics and on the road star forum. Oil ain't cheap. Gear oil is reasonable.

I bought the kawasaki Gear oil, $9.98, I think a quart....they use it in the Concourse so it should be OK in the FJR

so who has used the 80/90 yamaha (cheap) oil in their diffs and for how long. I just put it in mine last night.....

so who has used the 80/90 yamaha (cheap) oil in their diffs and for how long. I just put it in mine last night.....
Lots of folks. In fact, most dealers are either using that, or the Kawasaki stuff. No dealer wants to go through explaining to a customer why their rear end lube change cost $32.

Some dealers, like D&H, even say that Yamaha has recommended the switch to the cheap stuff... but I don't think there's been any service bulletins or anything.

There's lots of stuff on this topic. You might want to do a search. Or better still, just forget about it and enjoy your new bike.

i bought some amsoil 80/90 gear oil last night at bobs, it was only 8.99 so i picked up a quart. I have never used amsoil but i was freaking about the diff oil so i got this just in case.