FJR1300A - BMW K1200GT - HONDA ST1300 comparo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teerex51

The Italian Scallion
Reaction score
Europe's leading bike rag, Motorrad, just published a 3-bike Sport Tourer comparo featuring the new Beemer K-GT, the 2006 FJR1300 and Honda's ST1300 (which BTW is called PanEuropean here in Yurrup).

MRD_15_2006_016_400.jpg

Not surprisingly for a German magazine, the new Beemer came out first with a total score of 738, the Feejer a close second with 729 and Honda's bike last with 703.

The BMW motor totaled the most points, especially for top speed, acceleration and pure ponies. Driveline lash and jerkiness were mentioned but this did not penalize the score all that much. Honda's motor, however, was voted as the smoothest on test.

The K1200GT was ranked first for stability in curves and maneuvrability, while the FJR came out last for steering precision.

Ground clearance is not our FJR's strong suit (at least not with the OEM shock) and here the Beemer scored the first position.

Braking requires less effort on the K-GT but there's little feel at the lever with the BMW power-assist system.

In the end, the FJR and the BMW achieved nearly the same score here.

Riding comfort was the ST1300's forte, with the Beemer lagging in the third position.

Engine and transmission noise were also KO criteria for the German bike, with the FJR and the Honda scoring equal points.

Value-for-money went to the FJR1300, while gas mileage was a Honda-Yamaha tie.

The German magazine so concluded "Mission accomplished. The K1200GT picked up the FJR's concept and forcefully took it forward. In spite of several flaws, the Beemer made it first to the finish line.

Yamaha's FJR ( the uncontested winner of many such shootouts ) had to settle for second place. It still remains a first class Sport Tourer and the one with the sportiest touch.

The ST1300 is also a top-notch bike, smooth and comfortable, but lacks the top speed. If you need a bike to move fast on the Autobahn, pick another one."

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Stef. I'm curious...did the BMW have the optional electronic suspension gadget?
Yep. And captured the top score for "suspensions" with 35 points, but Yamaha and Honda were just behind with 32 points each.

I 'd have thought the ESA-system would have netted the Beemer more raw points.

In the end, I guess this was a pretty fair evaluation on Motorrad's part. In years past, the FJR always clobbered the older "K"'s in their tests.

Stef

I don't think the German bias of the magazine has much to do with the outcome. Up to the GT's debut, the FJR was pretty much the winner in all these comparison tests, but I fully expect the GT will win most of the same from this point forward. We need to get used to this. Technology marches forward and the GT is a newer, more advanced design with better power and suspension.

This doesn't make it the better bike for you. The FJR is a heck of a value, proven, and although I still like and own BMWs, I'll always give the nod to Yamaha on reliability and ease of service. Whether it wins these comparos or not, the FJR is one hell of package.

- Mark

The BMW and FJR are very close in concept, design, and execution, with the BMW being a little more refined as a brand new design. Still - very close.

The price gap is absolutely absurd. The value proposition is simply broken. There is no way that the BMW is worth $6-8K more. I'll take the FJR + a used Miata, please.

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my MCN magazine last night with the comparo of the FJR1300AE and the New GT.

FJR by the slimmest of margins which they said would have been greater if they used the clutch model.

Scooter

I've owned a ST, and now an FJR. I think the FJR wins over the ST.

I have not ridden the BMW, but at a 50% price premium, they damn sure should win if price is not an issue. That would be comparable to giving a BMW 545 car a win over an Acura TL. Nobody would ever make the comparison - so why do they do it with Motorcycles?

Which FJR was featured in this test? Was it the new AE model or the standard FJR 1300A with a regular clutch? I think that if this is a similiar test to the Motorcycling Consumer News the vconclusion is that the FJR1300a would be the hands down winner.

I've owned a ST, and now an FJR. I think the FJR wins over the ST.
I have not ridden the BMW, but at a 50% price premium, they damn sure should win if price is not an issue. That would be comparable to giving a BMW 545 car a win over an Acura TL. Nobody would ever make the comparison - so why do they do it with Motorcycles?
You've got that right! I've owned a 5 series and currently own an Acura CL (coupe). I'll take the Acura over the Beemer anyday.

Gee - this 'value proposition' stuff sounds just like the Concours owners at the COG web site 'splaining why the ZG1000 is so much better than the FJR . . . 'it isn't $4000 better'. It is an excellent value . . but my Concours didn't hold a candle to my FJR - and I suspect that the BMW has similar benefits.

BUT we're all headed to the land of diminishing returns as the prices climb to the stratosphere.

The cornering & steering precision test they ran is interesting. I had a ST13 and it did track corners very well,but it felt big ,high and fat(to me). This 06' FJR feels more 'planted'in hard cornering and is peachy keen as hell in that dept(for me). Like to try the new beemer.I'd NEVER buy it tho. I had an RT & it cured me of the Big Mistake on Wheels. Never again.

Latest posts