FJRF003.0: Ignition Failures on FJRs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. Thanks for creating this thread. My FJR is in the shop for the 2nd time this year - and I have only had it since May 07 (11 months). I spoke to my dealer here in Tampa and they said there is still not a technical bulletin for this problem and that the Yamaha rep said they have not seen a significantly high failure rate. Even better, the Yamaha rep said I am getting close to the end of my warranty and he recommends I buy the extended warranty. Basically, in about a week, my warranty will be up and they won't fix the ignition switch even though they just replaced it and it has failed twice in a year. Very nice of him to be considerate enough to recommend I pay them more money.

1) What year FJR?

2) How many miles?

~16000

3) Failed while running? Or while turning ignition? Or whatever?

Failed at home both times (didn't start in the morning)

4) Type of failure: Wires pulled out? Switch failure? Unknown? (pictures are useful) - unknown - nothing looked out of the ordinary - the first time the dash lit up when only when the key was in between off and on; this time it was completely dead. The dealer said that when the mechanic jiggled the key - it came back to life.

5) Actual repair performed and by what dealer -

Both times - Barney's Yamaha of Brandon, FL

6) How many days was the bike at the dealer for service? -

1st time about 10 days, looks like it will be the same this time. 1st time the switch was originally on backorder and they said it would take about a month to get the part. After much complaining on my part, they found a part in Georgia.

7) Paid for by Yamaha or not?

Yes, but this will be the last time they pay unless I get the extended warranty.

8) What did you do about the other locks (gas, side bags, seat and top case) on the bike (do you have two keys or one)?

I have 2 keys.

9) Briefly, how badly were you inconvenienced by this ignition failure. -

Way bad, I have an older maxima as my backup car, so it doubles my cost of gas and my round trip every day is about 65 miles.

Thanks,

Mike

2006 AE

failed while parked

dealer ordered 2day air

took 1 day and half, locksmith was hold up

same key

2003 - 96,000 km. Died while riding. Clipped wires and put in temp toggle switch. Worked for 10,000 km. Took apart once I arrived home..............sure as shit, brown wire not connected at switch. Plan to repair and see what happens.

* Thanks for the toggle switch tip. Saved me a lot of time.

Canadian FJR

Can you supply a wiring diagram for the temp switch your rigged up? And where you cut your wires?

Thanks

2003 - 96,000 km. Died while riding. Clipped wires and put in temp toggle switch. Worked for 10,000 km. Took apart once I arrived home..............sure as shit, brown wire not connected at switch. Plan to repair and see what happens.
* Thanks for the toggle switch tip. Saved me a lot of time.

Canadian FJR

Ignition Problem? Maybe Maybe not??

2006 FJR/AE 6000 miles (Yes, I know it's not many but I've got several bikes and they all need my love)

Bike cut out twice on two separate occasions prior to final melt down, but started right back up. I thought it was the grip heaters the 1st time but no lose wires or shorts. The 2nd time the handlebars were at maximum deflection, again no loose wire etc.

The show stopper occurred in a Pharmacy drive through; I had the bike shut off and was walking her forward in line. Time to drive away…. Fuel gauge flashing, left & right turn signals steady on Neutral & High beam steady on. No headlight and glove box & horn inoperative.

After trailering home she started once more after checking the battery connections but not since.

Have followed all the ignition threads and performed the following:

Check all fuses and buses, cleaned battery terminals and contacts and check battery voltage.

Removed Power commander after verifying profile was intact, no problems there.

Checked the fuel sender coupler & fuel pump coupler connections.

Electrically check the ignition switch as per Barabus (left on bike & triple clamp)

Ran Diag mode with the following results:

d:01 = 16

d:03 = 85

d:05 = 68 then 70

d:06 = 06 then 64

d:08 = .6 (Level sensor checked out this agrees)

d:09 = 12.2

Any thoughts appreciated.

Ran Diag mode with the following results:d:01 = 16

d:03 = 85

d:05 = 68 then 70

d:06 = 06 then 64

d:08 = .6 (Level sensor checked out this agrees)

d:09 = 12.2
Normal. You need to check d:61 for stored error codes.

If you have done the Barbarian Jumper thingie, check that the ECU connector is solidly in place. Coupler #5 (front cowling wire harness connector) may well be involved and the key switch CONTACTS (not disconnected wire) could be involved.

As I learned from another fellow that was having wiring problems, I can't tell if you have been at your wire harnesses with wire cutters or if you have done other electrical modifications that you did not mention. Info is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Normal. You need to check d:61 for stored error codes.

If you have done the Barbarian Jumper thingie, check that the ECU connector is solidly in place. Coupler #5 (front cowling wire harness connector) is may well be involved and the key switch CONTACTS (not disconnected wire) could be involved.

As I learned from another fellow that was having wiring problems, I can't tell if you have been at your wire harnesses with wire cutters or if you have done other electrical modifications that you did not mention. Info is good."

Response:

d30-70 were all 00

I've not touched the wiring harness, only mod was PC USB & a battery tender dongle both removed until this is solved.

All the items you mention from the "Pharmacy Incident" are associated with coupler #5. You need to locate this connector and verify that there is no corrosion on the pins and that it is completely locked together. Should you not find the problem at the connector you will need to follow the harness run looking for pinching, wear spots or wire breaks. There is no other single item that affects all the things you report except for the ignition switch contacts, but you should have seen other failures beyond the ones you mentioned.

I've been going over the circuit diagram in the manual and I see coupler 5 but darn if I can find it on the bike? :dribble:

mcycleman, your problems sound exactly what my 06 did last year in Utah before the main harness completely failed and the bike was stranded in Idaho.

Mine started out with the bike just dying as I went to park it at the end of the day. All the dash lights would illuminate, I'd cycle the key, and the bike would restart. Let the bike sit and cool, (overnight) and all was well untill it ran an extended period again in the heat. After several of those occurances, The bike just up and died in the parking lot of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. In Zion park the bike started dying almost anytime I stopped, (real fun at the tunnel)and it progressed to the bike cutting out at speed. I had 3 other bikes I had led on this trip and was trying to nurse it along so as not to spoil their trip, but at this point I knew it was game over, and headed home. At the final stage, the fuel gauge flashed one bar after a fill up. I rode straight through to my next fill up in Idaho, and that was the end of the story. The bike never started again. Desert Powersports found the main harness had melted. Harness replaced, problem solved.

When my issues started, the first thing I thought of was the ignition switch, but that wasn't the case for me. The symptoms were at first always the same. Stop bike and while idling and jocky it around to park after a full day and it would die. All instrument lights including turn signals would come on solid. Cycle the key, and away I would go. I had never in any way invaded the bikes wiring. All my power outlets etc. were run off the battery, so I still don't really know why the harness failed, but it sure did.

Ignition switch # 2 for me! I was in WY on the return leg of a solo cross country trip when the bike wouldn't start first thing in the morning. If you moved the key slowly the dash would light up part way to the on position put would not start from this position. I thought it could be dirty contacts as the first time it failed in May 07 it was totally dead on the dash. Tried spaying wd40 down the keyhole and after about 20 minutes of turning the key on and off the ignition finally stayed on. Rode the bike andhad no cut out so I continued on. In WI I stopped for a break and the bike would not come back on. Again after a wd40 bath and 30 minutes it finally fired up. The next morning the wd40 would not start it and I cut the wire tie holding the wires. By wiggling the harness I could get the wires to just the right position and the dash light would come on. I still had about 1500 miles to go to get home so I didn't shut the bike down for the rest of day. Got in Canada without any further issues until the next morning when no start again. The rest of the trip the bike would not start in the morning but would work for the rest of day once it did start. Had my son order another switch from the dealer and I got home Tuesday night. Waiting for the switch to arrive.

Ignition switch # 2 for me! I was in WY on the return leg of a solo cross country trip when the bike wouldn't start first thing in the morning. If you moved the key slowly the dash would light up part way to the on position put would not start from this position. I thought it could be dirty contacts as the first time it failed in May 07 it was totally dead on the dash. Tried spaying wd40 down the keyhole and after about 20 minutes of turning the key on and off the ignition finally stayed on. Rode the bike andhad no cut out so I continued on. In WI I stopped for a break and the bike would not come back on. Again after a wd40 bath and 30 minutes it finally fired up. The next morning the wd40 would not start it and I cut the wire tie holding the wires. By wiggling the harness I could get the wires to just the right position and the dash light would come on. I still had about 1500 miles to go to get home so I didn't shut the bike down for the rest of day. Got in Canada without any further issues until the next morning when no start again. The rest of the trip the bike would not start in the morning but would work for the rest of day once it did start. Had my son order another switch from the dealer and I got home Tuesday night. Waiting for the switch to arrive.
Bloody hell. I figured Carver would be the first to go thru two. Sorry for your bad luck. I will put you on the list twice now. Time to hard wire a switch?

Bloody hell. I figured Carver would be the first to go thru two. Sorry for your bad luck. I will put you on the list twice now. Time to hard wire a switch?
When my first switch failed in NC the dealer there hooked up a Honda ATV switch next to the stock switch. I had that switch under the seat in case I had to use it.

Admin Note: After building this thread with great diligence from the thread starter and forum contribution, this issue has been assigned for forum use FJRF003: Ignition Failures on FJRs. Although the issue does not have any known formal Yamaha Technical Bulletin, feel free to use this term and reference this thread when working with Yamaha dealers or Yamaha Corporate with warranty coverage. Perhaps they will too acknowledge the issue formally and assign a technical bulletin.
Due to an apparent rash of ignition failures on FJRs, we would like to use this thread for information gathering purposes on this narrow issue only. The information we need about the ignition failures is: 1) What year FJR?; 2) How many miles?; 3) Failed while running? Or while turning ignition? Or whatever?; 4) Type of failure: Wires pulled out? Switch failure? Unknown? (pictures are useful); 5) Actual repair performed and by what dealer; 6) How many days was the bike at the dealer for service?; 7) Paid for by Yamaha or not? 8) What did you do about the other locks (gas, side bags, seat and top case) on the bike (do you have two keys or one)? 9) Briefly, how badly were you inconvenienced by this ignition failure.

Your information should be a in the form of a reply on this thread. Below is a partial list of persons that have already mentioned some form of Ignition Failure. If your name appears in the below list or you have had an ignition failure on a FJR, then please take a moment to reply to this thread with the requested information. Thank-you.

NOTE: You may want to try cleaning the ignition switch as it seems some failures like mine may be due to dirt. See my thread below entitled "Reverse engineering a ignition failure...."

Axeman

Dcarver

Cota (x2)

Rayban

Airboss

FJR Gary

Calabash

Smoke FJR06

Indian Scout

Barabus

Turbo Dave

Fjrrider

Inlaw1

Gadi

Cartfj40

Also, here are the links to other accounts of this problem-

Axeman's Thread re Ignition Failure

DCarver's thread re Ignition Failure

Inlaw's thread re Ignition Failure

Cota's Thread re Ignition Failure

Barabus' Thread re Ignition Failure

Barabus' thread reverse engineering an igntion failure and trouble shooting future failures

How to repair an ignition switch including detailed photos

EDIT: Please include your GenI ignition failures, too!

I suffered the ignition failure also on my '03. It was an ignition switch failure. The bike was totally dead. The dealer replaced the switch at my cost. I took the two switches to a locksmith and they swapped parts so that I could retain the use of my original key. This process took approximately two days. Rides Alone

1) What year FJR?; 2007

2) How many miles?; 4900

3) Failed while running? Or while turning ignition? Or whatever?; Running, stopped at a light in the left turn lane.

4) Type of failure: Wires pulled out? Switch failure? Unknown? (pictures are useful); Looks like loose wires in the switch housing

5) Actual repair performed and by what dealer; Stadium Yamaha Irving TX getting the part, ed29 doing the labor

6) How many days was the bike at the dealer for service?;TBD

7) Paid for by Yamaha or not?; Full warranty coverage by Yamaha

8) What did you do about the other locks (gas, side bags, seat and top case) on the bike (do you have two keys or one)?; Two keys initially

Yamaha recommends cutting a blank with one side matching the new ignition, the other matching the gas cap/bags.

9) Briefly, how badly were you inconvenienced by this ignition failure.; Could have been worse, planning on a four state trip in New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado and Utah in a couple of weeks. Better to fail 5 mile from home than a thousand miles away.

10) No electrical accessories running through the ignition switch. Accessory fuse panel is run direct to the battery and only powering the GPS at this time with a draw of less than .3 amps.

Just had my second ign switch fail ! I had just pulled off the freeway and when the light changed to cross over it I made it about 1/2 way thru the turn & switch died. I got out of the road & found that I could wiggle the wires where they go in the bottom & make contact again but won't stay. Good thing I have quick disconnects on the switch wires. I had under 24K miles the first failure & 15K on the second one.

I admit that I didn't read every post, but this sounds like it might be the problem with my '06 w/24k. Went to start it up after work last night and nothing...

I didn't notice then, maybe because of traffic noise and bright sunlight but this a.m, after checking the battery, I heard a click and noticed the ABS light blink but nothing else. After reading several posts, I turned the switch on/off several times - the gages bliped a few times, but nothing else.

Pretty good bet that I've got a bum connection inside the switch?

I admit that I didn't read every post, but this sounds like it might be the problem with my '06 w/24k. Went to start it up after work last night and nothing...
I didn't notice then, maybe because of traffic noise and bright sunlight but this a.m, after checking the battery, I heard a click and noticed the ABS light blink but nothing else. After reading several posts, I turned the switch on/off several times - the gages bliped a few times, but nothing else.

Very good bet.... wiggle/push the wires at the bottom of the switch while the key is on. If anything comes to life you have a bad switch.

Very good bet.... wiggle/push the wires at the bottom of the switch while the key is on. If anything comes to life you have a bad switch.
Be sure to cut the tie wrap on the wires coming out of the switch. You may be able to get the bike running by doing this. One my first failure last year I was dead as a doornail and I had to be towed. My second failure a couple of weeks ago, I could start the bike by moving the wires to just the right spot. This time once the bike was running it would not shut down again once it was running. I picked my up last night after getting the switch replaced for the second time and I cut the tie wrap off as soon as I got home.

Status
Not open for further replies.