FJRF003.1: Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Intersting;
The Canadian recall letter does not say that we get to keep our keys . . . all it says is that;

"affected motorcycles must have the main switch assembly disassembled and replaced with a new one designed to prevent overheating."

Any one have it done up here yet?

Did you keep your keys? I'd suspect 'yes', because those transponder keys (and especially the 'red one') are very expensive - and the notice certainly did not tell us to bring our red keys along when the service is performed.

My dealer came and picked up my bike Thursday here at the house. I stopped in later that day at the dealership and was talking to the owner. When I inquired as to the original key being retained he explained to me how the tumblers would be changed and that no new key would be issued. This was in London, Ontario at Inglis Cycle.

He was fully versed on the recall procedure. It appears to be identical to what our friends in the States are having done.

Paul

Had mine fixed today. 28 degrees this morning when I left for the 40 mile ride to the dealer. 1 1/2 hours later I was on my way using the same lock. All is good, and I got a February ride in to boot. :rolleyes: This is the fourth ignition switch for my bike and it's still the key that the bike was delivered with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know the correct part number for the new ignition switch? I had the ignition switch failure on my 2007 Gen II in November 08 and took the bike into the shop for repair. Yamaha sent them a a replacement switch p/n 5PS-82501-10-00 gratis. Speaking to my dealer - he says this is the correct replacement under the recall but I just want to be damn sure before I go riding off into the sunset.
thumbup.gif
The part number called out in the dealer's recall procedure is 90891-30058-00. But that is more than the switch. It is the switch (with attached harness), 2 anti theft bolts (so you can swap the lock cylinders to retain 1 key functionality), 1 zip tie and 2 rubber screw covers (to retain waterproof-ness). Anyone that wanted to "do-yer-own" switch recall upgrade could order that part number and follow the dealers instructions.

For just the switch alone part number, one of two things will happen. Either the 5PS-82501-10-00 part number will be obsoleted and upgraded to a new part number to represent the new type switch assembly, or Yamaha will purge all stock of the old part number and retain the same number going forward. I would expect them to do the former as it is far easier to track. At present, the same part number is being shown in the online parts fiche.

anyone know if the 09`s come with the updated switch, or do the dealers have to do the switch over ??

FYI folks...Not sure if this has been mentioned but anyone can order the new part and do the swap themselves.

The new part number is available in the Yamaha parts fiche and I looked it up here and it's 46.70.

Here's the searched link (if it works.)

or just search for this part number: 90891-30058-00

I did exactly that when my Warrior had a CPS recall because dealers were botching the install.

anyone know if the 09`s come with the updated switch, or do the dealers have to do the switch over ??
All 2006, 2007 and 2008's are covered. For 2009 Vin ranges covered are:

FJR1300A____RP15E-006050-006392

FJR1300AC___RP15Y-001047-001108

FJR1300AE___RP16E-001560-001736

FJR1300AEC__RP16Y-000275-000306

FYI folks...Not sure if this has been mentioned but anyone can order the new part and do the swap themselves.
The new part number is available in the Yamaha parts fiche and I looked it up here and it's 46.70.
Correctamundo! And here's an interesting factoid: You can get the replacement switch kit for the recall with the extra parts to do the lock cylinder switch-out, etc. for less than $50 but if you order just the switch by its part number (5PS-82501-10-0) it shows $132.67. :blink:

Would it be possible to have the parts numbers for the kit and also the new switch placed in the Gen II FAQ so I and others don't have to wade through 22 pages of postings to find them when ready topull the trigger? I think paying for a spare kit and having a locksmith try the suggested swap of tumblers to recreate the first ignition switch will work for me. I don't have a local Yammie dealer anymore and don't know the one 60 miles away. How could I help facilitate the inclusion of parts numbers into the FAQ?

All 2006, 2007 and 2008's are covered. For 2009 Vin ranges covered are:

FJR1300A____RP15E-006050-006392

FJR1300AC___RP15Y-001047-001108

FJR1300AE___RP16E-001560-001736

FJR1300AEC__RP16Y-000275-000306

Correctamundo! And here's an interesting factoid: You can get the replacement switch kit for the recall with the extra parts to do the lock cylinder switch-out, etc. for less than $50 but if you order just the switch by its part number (5PS-82501-10-0) it shows $132.67. :blink:
Same way with the Road Star Warrior CPS...The recall Kit was about 27.00 but the old CPS pre recall or a new one ordered on the regular CPS part number was ~150.00.....

I have an 08 FJR subject to the subject recall. I have read the forums about keeping your old key

verses getting a new ignition key and using the old key for the seat and saddle bags. I only want 1 key and I prefer the existing key. However, there appears to be a second method as described below.

I personally visited two different Yamaha dealers to ask questions about the recall procedures. Dealer A says they have done a few ignition recalls already and the do not drill out the security screws. They use the new key that comes with the new ignition switch. He says the kit comes with a package of tumblers and they use the tumblers to change out the tumblers on the saddle bags and seat lock and Yamaha trunk so that you end up with one key that fits all the locks. It is a new key. Dealer A says it took about 4 hours but Yamaha only allows 1 hour. The techs are looking for the fastest way to complete the procedure as the one hour is not adequate.

Dealer B says they have also done a couple of ignition recalls and they drilled out the security screws and changed out the tumblers in the new ignition switch lock to fit the old key. The owner left with one key--his original key. Dealer B said it took the mechanic close to 4 hours but expect that time to come down some with more repetitions.

Neither service rep would show me the instructions as the tech had the instructions.

While both procedures result in one key for all locks ( Method A =new key verses method B =old key), does anyone know if the actual instructions call for one method or are both methods in the instructions?

According to a previous post, (scroll down to post 25) both are wrong. The dealer can reuse the lock cylinder from the original switch and you keep all your existing locks and key.

I did a google search today and downloaded all the info and printed everything out. The idiot that i am i left it at work. I called the local dealer today and wasn't to pleased with the response i got. From what i can tell they haven't even done one yet. The first guy on the phone new nothing about the recall (strike one) After he yelled to the tech in the shop to see if he new anything, he did and said they haven't got any of the switches in yet. He asked for my info and phone number and said they would call back.

When i got home there was a message on the machine saying that the switches have been ordered. So i will stop by on saturday hopefully with the feej and have a little chat with the tech. But from what i can tell i might end up being the first ginny pig. I am not so thrilled with that. :eek:

I am scheduled to get a new switch tomorrow. They say they have done 6 change outs. I plan on talking to the tech before he starts. I will post their "one key solution"

I get mine done next Wed. When I was setting up my appointment, I asked about the Key. I was told they are going to drill out the screws and switch the key assembly to the new wiring harness.

We will see next week. I did tell them I expected to only have 1 key for the bike.

I'm getting mine done next Wedsday and I asked the dealer to keep the same key, he said they will keep the tumbler and replace the bottom part. and they have done a few already, I would take it to someone who has done a few already and is willing to keep your same key. FYI I read on this fourm that one guy had the dealer cut the pig tail on the switch and fried something on the bike. now he can't get it to start..

Mine was changed out. The dealer said the new assembly did not come with a tumbler so the old one has to be used.

Both the letter and the Tech instructions do state one key. Yamaha customer care and my dealer have both reviewed and confirmed that the origional key will still fit everything including the new ignition.

I also have a '08 and I had the recall done. I asked about the key and was told they would use the old tumbler set and I would end up with the same old key. When I picked up my bike that's what I receive. Same old key with new switch with a red stripe on top of it. :rolleyes: