FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The most recent write up states the theme is North American Safari with the bonuses divided into five categories. The poster shows a lot of different animals, birds, a fish, some bugs. A polar bear, Bigfoot and a Triceratops.

I sure would look like to peek inside that rally book!

Some wildlife photos on I94

C792.jpg

C794.jpg

C793.jpg

They're riding out now. Beautiful feed Longriders! Lots of fully-loaded FJRs....and two-up riders.
And for the record, the person shooting the video tried landscape mode because I suggested it. I feel really bad about the critisicism she took because Facebook couldn't cope with that.

75 minutes into the rally and I see eight obvious different directions riders are headed! Jeff Earls is already working his puzzle magic. ;)

They're riding out now. Beautiful feed Longriders! Lots of fully-loaded FJRs....and two-up riders.
And for the record, the person shooting the video tried landscape mode because I suggested it. I feel really bad about the critisicism she took because Facebook couldn't cope with that.
No Facebook here, so couldn't watch the stream. As for the criticism, If people think they could have done better, why weren't they there doing it then?
rolleyes.gif

Some bonuses may also have timed entry points. Ive sat at a few bonuses for a while waiting to go in, even after taking it slow trying to get there. I've also leap frogged a well known rider in this rally, location to location in past rallies. I'd meet up with him at the bonus, leave the bonus before him, then get passed again on the road. Speed on the asphalt doesn't always win rallys.

Miles

Last edited by a moderator:
According to one rider, a LOT of the bonuses are daylight only this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2015 most (all?) of the bonuses were daylight only. Coincidence or are the rally masters trying to encourage more rest by the riders?

I remember graveyard hunting in the darkest hour of the night at GBU. We had 2 bright LED flashlights illuminating the bonus and the rally flags, while we took our pictures (pretty low-res as IBA standards dictated). Those point and shoots don't have the best low-light capability, but we managed, but perhaps the scorer's frustration mounts rider after rider.

I remember graveyard hunting in the darkest hour of the night at GBU. We had 2 bright LED flashlights illuminating the bonus and the rally flags, while we took our pictures (pretty low-res as IBA standards dictated). Those point and shoots don't have the best low-light capability, but we managed, but perhaps the scorer's frustration mounts rider after rider.
You think point and shoots are bad you should try Polaroids at night
not_i.gif

If there are a lot of Zoos... I could see having a lot of daylight only bonuses. But they could be "Take a photo of the bear statue outside the Detroit Zoo, but not before 11am CST." Which means if you take a photo at 10:55, no points.

As you know they're off and running here are a few from this morning...

Lyle T. Bear at the start, now retired from rallying.

i-mtbxLzR-L.jpg

The GT750 positively glowed in the morning sunlight.

i-CfbNFw7-L.jpg

Some dog therapy before the start.

i-3t3pVSj-L.jpg

Everyone's prep for the start is different.

i-rNBwBxB-L.jpg

RMs on the prowl, I think they can be just as nervous before the start.

i-XpMrPkJ-L.jpg

The start gallery has been updated here.

Looking at the pictures from the start this morning, I see a lot of riders don't think Aerostich is expensive enough so they turned to Klim.

Status
Not open for further replies.