FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested to hear from former IBR's what it's like, the feelings, emotions, after the rally is over? For something so all-engulfing.. to be, just, o v e r?
In speaking with a few of them yesterday, I know there will be that post rally depression... it was already starting before I flew out yesterday... some still a little shell shocked that they had done it and were not quire ready to deal with the fact that it was really over... I can't even fathom the depth of being involved in this event, the 18 months of prep, the actually doing it... but I do know when I pulled up the Spotwalla page and saw this, my personal depression had begun...

SpotwallaPic.jpg

To everyone involved, from riders to staff to armchair quarterbacks, thank you for one helluva ride (literally and figuratively)... wishing everyone safe journeys home and the hope that your hearts are full from a job well done... :wub:

I believe that Troy had to switch bikes to finish which cost him half of his points. However, IBR rules state that while you lose points, switching bikes won't cost you finisher status if you would have had enough points to qualify without the bike switch point loss.
True statement.

I'm interested to hear from former IBR's what it's like, the feelings, emotions, after the rally is over? For something so all-engulfing.. to be, just, o v e r?
For me, the first thing that comes up is the conflict between (1) being proud of what I just did and really just enjoying the moment, and (2) being extremely critical of what I just did and second guessing what I could have done in order to finish higher. The IBR is intense and I give a lot of myself during the rallies I participate in. Just based on the riding itself, this was by far the most enjoyable of the three IBRs I have participated in, yet I still spent quite a bit of time kicking myself over some major mistakes I made. Although I never enter in order to win, one of my goals is to challenge myself and it is hard not to be initially disappointed when I feel I could have done better.

Also, for several days afterwards I have very intense dreams. It is common for me to wake up in the middle of a dream where I am careening off the road after having fallen asleep at the wheel. I also wake up in the middle of the night convinced that I overslept and that I won't make the next bonus. I have been told that I talk in my sleep for a few nights afterwards as well. It is all very unsettling...
smile.png

2DFlier:
I believe that Troy had to switch bikes to finish which cost him half of his points. However, IBR rules state that while you lose points, switching bikes won't cost you finisher status if you would have had enough points to qualify without the bike switch point loss.

Someone smarter than me can correct/explain it better.

Lumpy
Thanks. I do recall; a swap being featured in one of the daily reports. Next time I'll just RTFB.

I didn't ride for a long time afterward. I'd had that itch substantially scratched. Now it's just dreams about riding unknown rallies when reading IBR daily reports.

Question for the rally riders out there:
Is there a quick/efficient way to suck in the bonus point information from the .pdf and convert it into a table/excel spreadsheet so it can be sorted by points? Or do the riders receive it as a .doc file so they can manipulate it?
The bonus lat/lon is handed out. That's plenty. You want them to ride it for you too?

Paper maps, printed details, and a cigarette is what some used to use.
They used to do it on stock motorcycles too. That didn't answer the question. Does anyone know if the riders have a quick/efficient way to sort the bonus point information?

*EDIT* I see RFlagg answered the question:

we received via e-mail the locations of all bonuses the day before the start in .gpx, .csv, and .txt format. An IBR first, at the completion of every leg's rider's meeting, we were sent an e-mail with the point values for that specific leg, in .txt and .csv formats. I have never been up and routing faster for a rally than this IBR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great ride, Eric & thanks for the insight.

btw if anybody's feeling bike-curious about rallies there are still a few left this year at https://rides.jasonjonas.com/index.php

I see a few familiar names signed up for the VOID! Looking forward to it
hyper.gif

And they just added the NIITWIT rally for last weekend of October in Monroe LA too, 12 and 36-hour start anywhere

RFlagg42 posted: John, we received via e-mail the locations of all bonuses the day before the start in .gpx, .csv, and .txt format. An IBR first, at the completion of every leg's rider's meeting, we were sent an e-mail with the point values for that specific leg, in .txt and .csv formats. I have never been up and routing faster for a rally than this IBR.
While you may have been up and routing quickly, my friend, the oddly-valued points and the multiplicative effect of strings made for several iterations, I'm sure. Add the complication of claiming a bonus only one time, which affected routing on Legs 2 and 3. The puzzle got more complicated as the riders got more tired.

Congratulations on your fine finish, sir ..... even though it was on a beemer.

Steve in Phx posted: Those all appear to be on the east coast. Where can I find some out west?
I'm gonna hit my drum one more time ...

The Big Money Rally is nationwide. Starts every year on New Year's Day, and runs until Memorial Day. Bonus listings for 2017 are here.

If you think it isn't competitive, you've never been in it. See 2017 results here, and notice how many IBR names are on this scoreboard.

I'm not competitive at this level, although I work pretty hard to get finisher status. The five-month rally allows you time to plan a good route (6-10 hour ride) that you can execute when you have a free weekend, or plan a Big Ride (18-20 hours) that you can execute over two days of riding. Every year I do a Super Big Ride: start after work on Friday, ride all day Saturday (16 hours), and ride all day Sunday (16 hours) to get back to the house -- collecting points during all of those miles.

If you route efficiently, you can bag 3 times the points of someone who rides the same number of miles, but routes poorly. This ride, over a three-day weekend, got me my finisher points. (Stopped tracking in Charlotte to visit my son and his wife, but forgot to turn it on again before riding home to Atlanta and collecting a few more points along the way.)

The BIGGEST kick of the BMR, however, is the simple pleasure of riding through the USA on roads you'd not ordinarily consider.

>> Congratulations on your fine finish, sir ..... even though it was on a beemer

Thank you!!

>> Add the complication of claiming a bonus only one time, which affected routing on Legs 2 and 3.

Just a minor correction. We could claim the same bonus on multiple legs. I claimed several bonuses on both legs 1 and 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.