FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I"m pretty sure I read a ride report many years ago by a guy who did it on a Honda scooter,I believe it was a 250 or smaller.His big worry was the CVT drive belt so he had it replaced at a dealer along with new tires.
Ed Otto back in about 1995. One of my IBR heroes!

If that was the amazing Honda Helix, then it finished that IRB at least twice and maybe more.

The IBR rules state that if you swap bikes or have to be towed, the Rider must return to the point of "failure" before starting back up in the rally. After (Ed) finished, a rider arrived with failed bike in tow. Ed offered up the Helix which then went back to the point of failure and the 2nd Rider officially finished on the same bike (with the standard -50% points penalty).

I"m pretty sure I read a ride report many years ago by a guy who did it on a Honda scooter,I believe it was a 250 or smaller.His big worry was the CVT drive belt so he had it replaced at a dealer along with new tires.

Ed Otto back in about 1995. One of my IBR heroes!
Bob Ray did it on a scooter in 01 as well.

I can't access the past IBR reports at the moment to confirm the brand or details, but I think he was on a Honda as well and a CVT belt sounds right for his ride.

Nevermind - they found who it was

Last edited by a moderator:
The scooter community has their biannual Cannonball run:

The Scooter Cannonball Run is a coast to coast endurance challenge for scooters held every two years since 2004. This event is a test of both rider and machine that takes in some of the best motorcycle roads on the North American continent. The Scooter Cannonball is a time/distance/regularity rally where points are awarded based on miles completed and the ability to maintain the standard pace.

https://www.scootercannonballrun.com/

Mike Hutsul was on his way via car from Winnipeg to help Maura with her tire change at Checkpoint One.

He centre punched a deer last night in one of those big VW SUVs, he is ok, airbags deployed , Car is immobilized.

As the field gets closer to the Pacific Northwest they're still a fairly spread-out field. If the apparent front-runner (that just turned north off I-90 at Missoula) were to choose to come to the barn--they'd be to the CP over a day in advance of the time window needed. Conversely, the apparent stragglers just cleared Chicago and Houston respectively. These folks likely will be making a more-or-less express route to make the finish. And there's a metric ton of riders scattered in between. That there are so many different routes is a testament to the creativeness of the rally creator. I'm sure we'll be hearing stories after the event of sights seen, roads explored, pegs rubbed, and places riders wanted to spend more time at.

I'm going to make an educated guess and that the first leg has bonuses scattered around the country that are making multiple routes with similar point results. I think with the front of the blob you'll see them bouncing around the PNW for the next 36 hours picking various points that could include going past Kennewick and returning. Maybe there are things on the coast or in Canada. Maybe we'll see a beehive thing that occurred at the start where people bounced around NC and adjacent states.

But, I'm sure all the riders are increasingly monitoring their ETA to Hilton Garden Inn @ Kennewick. As Wednesday aday and evening wear on their rally GPS will be increasingly zoomed in on smaller and smaller windows. The western U.S. will narrow down to the tri-state area of the Pacific Northwest...and eventually people will zoom down to the Columbia dividing Oregon and Washington. And they'll see the nuance of I-84, I-82, I-182, Highway 240, 12....and eventually Badger Road and Columbia Center Boulvevard exits. Instead of ants wandering around looking for interesting bonuses to snap pictures of...they'll turn into homing pigeons and the haphazard orange dots on the GPS tracking page will shift more to lines along the 5 or so approach vectors to the CP.

Meanwhile, IBR staff began arriving by plane yesterday and more are expected today. Other staff are coming in from the start or regional staff will be making their way to Kennewick (I'm watching for 'ya BigChiefStinkyPants!) and I'm transferring a pile of tire/wheels and boxes for 11 riders to the hotel....including a few FJRs in the morning. Locally, myself and three other IBR finishers will be taking Thursday off to help as well. Incoming riders are going to be greeted and loved.

Here's a picture of the CP from Tuesday evening. Not a single motorcycle in the parking lot. But that will be begin changing starting today....

20190618_154810.jpg

Hard to tell from the pics I've seen; how big was the spectator crowd at the start? I passed over 20 loaded LD-type bikes, including several FJRs, heading east along 81 in PA at various times yesterday. Some were getting really wet too. Not aware of any gatherings in the N.E. and a Tuesday seems like an odd morning to see that many bikes out like that. Good chance they were all heading back from Greenville?

Great fun to follow along and anticipate moves... but ohhhh, harness the energy from the collective butt-burn, and I could probably run my pool for a year.

I passed over 20 loaded LD-type bikes, including several FJRs, heading east along 81 in PA at various times yesterday.
Two riders were headed West on 80 and one west on 76 yesterday in PA. No one (at least with a "public" Spot) in the IBR was headed East in PA.

Linda and I will be leaving for Kennewick in a few hours for early evening check-in. Some riders are close enough to get there ahead of me.

Testament to Jeff's rally design that riders are scattered far and wide on the first leg. Interesting to watch.

Sidenote: The fjrforum computer at 1G is ten rack spaces below ibr.wvi.com with 10G connectivity. Both are running smoothly for the moment. 69 working days until retirement.

I keep watching the riders making the run between Tucson and Gila Bend by way of 85/86 rather than the more direct route of I-8/I-10. For the life of me I can't figure out what bonus they might be collecting since they never seem to stop anywhere. Could they really just be avoiding the construction along I-10?

I know there are bonii in Nevada that I have seen collected. Are they just on the way there?

Sidenote: The fjrforum computer at 1G is ten rack spaces below ibr.wvi.com with 10G connectivity. Both are running smoothly for the moment. 69 working days until retirement.
Good to know! I'll be reminding any on this forum that somebody would need to step up well before then...or this would be the last time this forum covers the IBR.

Good to know! I'll be reminding any on this forum that somebody would need to step up well before then...or this would be the last time this forum covers the IBR.
There is a lot of that going around. Last time for a number of events. It's unfortunate and sad... but time marches on, and life just won't stop changing the rules.

I find it enjoyable to watch the riders run roads and (presumably) go past places that I have toured on my own motorcycle. Even though they don't have as much time as I did, I hope they are enjoying the views, none the less.

In that light, our friend currently riding in Hill Country, Texas would be wise to put a little pep in his (her) step. (North)west bound and down, sort-o-speak....

I keep watching the riders making the run between Tucson and Gila Bend by way of 85/86 rather than the more direct route of I-8/I-10. For the life of me I can't figure out what bonus they might be collecting since they never seem to stop anywhere. Could they really just be avoiding the construction along I-10?
I know there are bonii in Nevada that I have seen collected. Are they just on the way there?
Looks they're heading through Why, AZ, the iconic half of the Why-Whynot pairing that folks like to do for a cert ride. It's a good bet it's a combo bonus, since Whynot is in NC. As you say, they don't seem to stop so probably a quick photo which wouldn't even be a blip on the spotwalla track.

Looks they're heading through Why, AZ, the iconic half of the Why-Whynot pairing that folks like to do for a cert ride. It's a good bet it's a combo bonus, since Whynot is in NC. As you say, they don't seem to stop so probably a quick photo which wouldn't even be a blip on the spotwalla track.
Why Not does appear to have a pretty good facsimile of Tow Mater that I'm guessing is thoroughly photogenic and quick to snag.

o.jpg

They are still rolling through there like a choo-choo train. Since this is the path that very first rider that got shot out of a cannon took (1,900 miles in the first 26 hrs) I wonder if it was worth extra points if grabbed by a certain time?

This is gonna drive me nuts!

A couple HAVE stopped at the Why Not Travel Store in the town of Why, AZ. I assumed it was just for gas/bio break but could the bonus be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.