FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We went and lurked around on Saturday. We saw a BMW that was leaking all kinds of fluid to the ground at least I think it was a BMW. Lol. The setups are amazing! We saw a black FJR with a Frankentank that looked to be On steroids! We plan on going back in the morning to see them off.

We went and lurked around on Saturday. We saw a BMW that was leaking all kinds of fluid to the ground at least I think it was a BMW. Lol. The setups are amazing! We saw a black FJR with a Frankentank that looked to be On steroids! We plan on going back in the morning to see them off.
I'll be here in the morning so come say hi if you have the opportunity... ;)

I was there Saturday morning. Got off work about 8:30 and went over. I actually made an appearance on Ira's Saturday morning video. I'm about 8 min 30 sec in. Saw him coming and was trying to casually get out of the way. LOL Left about 11:30.

My wife and I will be there tomorrow too. We'll be on a 2003 FJR and a 2006 Honda Shadow Aero 750.

Y’know y’all are singing along, right? :lol:

The Michelin Man looking out for the bikes….

2019 IBR group shot…

Mike Kneebone addressing the crowd…

John Harrison reading a poem by Robert Frost that was the impetus for this year’s rally… The Road Not Taken…

The Mistress of the IBR addressing her subjects…

Jeff Earls, the architect of the IBR….

Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the bonus of course!

The calm before the storm…

Really cool full moon…

Hoping to follow Lyn and Kevin Weller again this year. Anyone have a link to their 2019 webpage?

I was looking at the listing in the Day 1 report of the riders that have completed check-in and received their rally packets. One column in the listing is only identified with "**". Because the column contained either a "V" or an "R" I thought it was an indication of IBR Veterans & Rookies. But then I noticed that instead of a "V" or an "R" the column contained "UB" for some people. Can anyone enlighten me as to what that column is signifying and what "UB" means?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone enlighten me as to what that column is signifying and what "UB" means?
I seen that too. Maybe Unfinished Business, as in failed to be a finisher in a previous IBR.

just guessing.
smile.png

Can anyone enlighten me as to what that column is signifying and what "UB" means?
I seen that too. Maybe Unfinished Business, as in failed to be a finisher in a previous IBR.

just guessing.
smile.png
I think that's a great guess. I believe 4 of the 5 with "UB" show as "DNF" in 2017 and the 5th was DNF in 2015. UB sounds better than "Monkey On Your Back". ;)

'i hope there is live video of the gentleman who missed the meeting and has to do it this morning

aaannndd there was. Nice!

And their they're off! watch Ira's video of the start and you'll see the guy getting the riders meeting brief after all the rest have left.

BE SAFE! and good luck to all the participants!

all Id be thinking is - just dont drop it - just dont drop it
i hope there is live video of the gentleman who missed the meeting and has to do it this morning
You're probably watching and see that he got a personalized rider meeting from both the Rally Master and the Puzzle Master. While I'm sure he was sheepish...they were very pleasant.

And they got riders out in just a bit less than 5 minutes. While not a record--good time I believe.

And I did watch a rider drop his bike in 2005. I watched Dale poke his head forward in disbelief, lower his head, and shake it disapprovingly.

And.... my boss knows not to expect much productivity from me for the next 11 days.....

Gotta hit the road back to St Louis right after cheering them off (work) but I’ll definitely have it up at work......as usual. I did find it interesting that a couple of teams told me they will only have one of their Spots public so they can’t be easily picked out. I understand and thanked them for letting us follow even if we don’t know specifically who we’re urging on! The Spotwalla page may be my favorite part as a non-participant so I hope nothing causes it to go away!
Every year someone does animations of the tracking so you can see the seed-pod explode and spread out across 3 countries and then come back together again. Those are always fun.

Looking over the list of bikes, I don't see very many Hopeless entrants. 1974 GT750 Suzuki, but I think he's done it before. There is an '83 Silverwing. Is that the guy that ran last time on an incredibly restored bike? And there is a '94 R11RS. I guess I'll cheer for him. I've alway wanted one of those. No dual sports, scooters or small displacement. No hacks or three wheelers.

Status
Not open for further replies.