FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well....the motorcycle gods must like me.
And they're apparently frowning on me. Four hours away but planned a 7 hour route, PERFECT riding weather, ticket to the last chance banquet, and a place to stay. Yet here I am at home working... I emailed Lisa to let her know I wouldn't be using my ticket for the banquet tonight so she could give it to someone else. So RayW, maybe the gods will shine a bit brighter. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Lisa recently posted a reminder of the rules. NO TRANSFERS. You HAVE to pick up your ticket in person then you can give it to whomever you want to have it. Sorry.

All it means is that there will be enough extra food for Dale to go back for seconds on hamburger steak.

Last edited by a moderator:
And they're apparently frowning on me. Four hours away but planned a 7 hour route, PERFECT riding weather, ticket to the last chance banquet, and a place to stay. Yet here I am at home working... I emailed Lisa to let her know I wouldn't be using my ticket for the banquet tonight so she could give it to someone else. So RayW, maybe the gods will shine a bit brighter. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Lisa recently posted a reminder of the rules. NO TRANSFERS. You HAVE to pick up your ticket in person then you can give it to whomever you want to have it. Sorry.

All it means is that there will be enough extra food for Dale to go back for seconds on hamburger steak.
Confirmed. Lisa posted:

Iron Butt Rally Banquet Tickets - Obviously these are in high demand. Just to clarify - and hopefully to stop the flood of emails about the topic - here is what was said in the original email about the ticket sales: Tickets are limited and when they’re gone….well, you know the drill….they’re GONE. Tickets will be picked up on the weekend of the banquet at the host hotel. Sorry, but due to staff overload, tickets are not transferable; only the original purchaser may pick them up in person.

So there it is. If your friend can't make it and you have an extra ticket, you are free to give it to someone else after you pick it up but that's the only way there will be available tickets. Really sorry we can't accommodate everyone. I've also been asked if spectators can stand in the back of the room and the Fire Marshall and hotel staff will not allow it.
Thanks for understanding and thanks too for not sending me any more emails that I don't have time to answer.

Update on the Simmonds situation:
Staff member Bill Thweet is loaning Dan Simmonds his 2012 Tenere that is is rally-ready with fuel cell, lights, hydration systems, etc.

That's what this Endurance community does for one another - they step up when the chips are down. We are family.
punk.gif

Saw Bill's bike at the DFW Defective Gene Pool event this year. Dan will be in excellent shape for a finish.

Day -2 report is up. https://ibr.wvi.com

Both signs of a smooth-running check-in process and wobbly wheels of veterans and rookies alike.

Staff member Bill Thweet is loaning Dan Simmonds his 2012 Tenere that is is rally-ready with fuel cell, lights, hydration systems, etc.

That's what this Endurance community does for one another - they step up when the chips are down. We are family.
Has this situation changed again?

Has this situation changed again?
Read the report from Day -2 linked above...more is in it about this subject.

I envision a game of rock-paper-scissors to decide who gets to use the donated bike. Except the "winner" will likely get to insist that the "loser" takes it. Fabulous camaraderie..

Heartbreaking to read about equipment issues at this stage but they won't be the last.

Confirmed. Lisa posted:

Iron Butt Rally Banquet Tickets - Obviously these are in high demand. Just to clarify - and hopefully to stop the flood of emails about the topic - here is what was said in the original email about the ticket sales: Tickets are limited and when they’re gone….well, you know the drill….they’re GONE. Tickets will be picked up on the weekend of the banquet at the host hotel. Sorry, but due to staff overload, tickets are not transferable; only the original purchaser may pick them up in person.

So there it is. If your friend can't make it and you have an extra ticket, you are free to give it to someone else after you pick it up but that's the only way there will be available tickets. Really sorry we can't accommodate everyone. I've also been asked if spectators can stand in the back of the room and the Fire Marshall and hotel staff will not allow it.
Thanks for understanding and thanks too for not sending me any more emails that I don't have time to answer.
No biggie since I couldn't use it anyway. But I DO appreciate the generous offer.

It was great being able to see all the bikes up close and personal this morning. I left work at about 8:45 and was wandering the parking lot and talking to folks by just a bit after 9 am. I see I even got a cameo in Ira's video. LOL

Looking forward to being there for the start Monday morning!! Even though I don't do any LD riding myself I'm really impressed by those that do, so I am really stoked to be able to do more than just lurk here on the web finally!

101 motorcycles have successfully completed Tech Inspection. The last two Tech Inspections were completed this morning. . Maura Gatensby and Cliff Walls are out on their Odometer runs.

Dan Simmons has withdrawn from the event.

There are a series of meetings today as the veterans assume their Game Faces. The Leg One Bonus Listing will be distributed at the Pre-Event Banquet tonight.

Here we go.

Condolences, Dan. Bill's bike was well setup. I suspect that moving a few personal things and the contents of the panniers would have been all that was needed. But those Tens are tall.

Sorry to hear Dan Simmons has withdrawn, what a shame. I do understand not wanting to ride another persons motorcycle though.

Thanks Dale for keeping us posted, it is much appreciated.

It had to be a tough decision for Dan. I believe he was going to have an incredible rally and would've been a fierce competitor. It'll be 2 more years before we will know again.

Day -2 report: The "Dale Test" being mentioned in the report (aux fuel installations) is something a few of us here have experienced first hand. It's "robust" to say the least.

When I first saw those zip-ties I thought someone had a sense of humor and wanted to give Tech a laugh. Looking forward to following along again. Can't believe how fast two years can go by.

I took a phone call Saturday afternoon about the possibility of trailering Dan's other Tenere from his home near Gettysburg, PA to Greenville. Sadly while I could have helped out with possibly being a part of the solution the call came too late in the day for the logistics to work and have me back in time for work when I need to be. I offered to pick it up and get his bike and my trailer to either southern MD or northern VA if someone could come up and take it from there. I even called another friend I thought might have been able to pitch in and get it there for him using my trailer. My last conversation on Saturday evening indicated Dan was going to use the offered bike and worry about getting his bike home after the event. I haven't even met Dan yet but really wish I'd been able to help.

Dan made peace with the decision this morning... he's on his way back to PA to get his truck, so he can retrieve his Tenere from the local dealership and return home with it.

And yes, it was a tough decision. We spoke at length. Several times. This is the best decision for him. There will be Another Day for him.

As Bill Thweatt was changing the oil in his S10 he said Cliff was going to ride it since Dan had withdrawn. Apparently Cliff’s Gold Wing is still having problems.

I’m glad that someone is benefiting from Bill’s generosity!

This is my first time being at an IBR and while I expected folks to be friendly I’m amazed at just how wonderful everyone seems. It’s like being at a big family reunion what with all the joking, teasing, sharing and laughing. What a great bunch!

Happy hunting and safe riding to all!

Gotta hit the road back to St Louis right after cheering them off (work) but I’ll definitely have it up at work......as usual.

I did find it interesting that a couple of teams told me they will only have one of their Spots public so they can’t be easily picked out. I understand and thanked them for letting us follow even if we don’t know specifically who we’re urging on!

The Spotwalla page may be my favorite part as a non-participant so I hope nothing causes it to go away!

Status
Not open for further replies.