FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One rider way ahead of the bunch N on 81.

Is that possibly Dan headed back to PA?

The HD Sportster is my friend Chris Comly and this will be his 3rd IBR on that bike. It's got around 260k miles on it.

I ran the numbers on the bikes in the rally, taken from the table on the Day 1 report:
(In order of most prevalent to least)

Honda Goldwing: 18

BMW GS(A) - 16

Yamaha FJR1300 - 13

Honda ST1100/ST1300 - 7

BMW GT(L) - 5

Harley Davidson Road Glide - 5

BMW RT - 5

Yamaha Super Tenere' - 4

Harley Davidson Ultra Limited - 4

Triumph Trophy - 4

Honda Africa Twin - 2

Kawasaki Concours - 2

BMW RSL - 1

Victory Vision - 1

Harley Davidson Softtail - 1

BMW K1600B - 1

Kawasaki Versys (300) - 1

Harley Davidson Sportster - 1

Honda Silverwing - 1

Victory CC Tour - 1

Suzuki GT750 (Buffalo) - 1

KTM Adventure 1190 - 1
.Thanks for doing this.

Wasn't surprised at the high number of FJR and GS entries, but historically I thought there were more RT. I know Goldwing has a healthy showing historically, but #1? Wonder if the old RT guys bought the new GW?
I think a lot of the RT riders have jumped over to the GS or GSA.

Only 6 pages so far in this thread? Well let's fix that....
weirdsmiley.gif

I had several on my Tech Inspection team mention to me that there *seemed* to be fewer number of CT riders than in previous events.

I actually did a count - and they are correct. Less CT guys than usual, so I am assuming they are finally getting the word what a stupid concept it is to ruin handling by using a goofy-ass car tire.

There... that should provide motivation for some energetic discussion.
punk.gif

Thanks to the timely starter who managed to get everyone out quickly who let me get to work in time. I giggled a little when you split the covers up. Lisa is probably still fuming a little:) (I will avoid the car tire debate) :)

Going to be interesting to see exactly what kind of things they use for bonus locations. "The Road Less Traveled" leaves a lot for interpretation. Not like the last one. Was pretty easy to guess what a bonus was in a place you saw a lot of SPOT trackers heading for. I used google street view a lot to pick out different bonus locations last time.

Seeing a lot of folks strung out along I-40 going towards Nashville... but then maybe the bonus is in Memphis as there are also a lot strung out along I-20. They may be familiar with the mind numbing stretch between Nashville and Memphis and are coming up from the southern route....

And of course there are some heading south. Maybe to the usual Key West bonus ?? Although I wouldn't call that "a road less traveled" for this bunch.

I'm sure I'm completely wrong but....still fun to speculate.

"The Road Less Traveled" leaves a lot for interpretation.
Road less traveled or location infrequently visited? Or one leading to the other? As you say, fun to speculate.

I bet Alaska is in play at some point.

Found this online...

10 Least Visited National Parks and Why You Have to See Them
  • Isle Royale National Park, Michigan. ...
  • Kobuk Valley National Park, Alaska. ...
  • North Cascades National Park, Washington. ...
  • Dry Tortugas National Park, Florida. ...
  • Great Basin National Park, Nevada. ...
  • Congaree National Park, South Carolina. ...
  • Guadalupe Mountains National Park, Texas. ...
  • Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Colorado.

Let's call them non-standard rather than hopeless, because there is nothing hopeless about Kurt Worden - who the official list undersells. The list notes he is on a Kwaker Versys. What it doesn't mention is that he is on a Versys 300! Arguably this is a more capable bike then the Ninja 250 he has ridden in the past. He had a gold medal finish with the Ninjette in 2017 for 21st place. He had a heartbreaking DNF in 2013 and a bronze medal for 37th place in 2015.
Here's your source of all IBR stats:

https://www.ironbutt.org/ibrfacts.htm
I saw his name and Versys. I was hoping he was on the lil one. I had fun watching him on the Baby Ninja last time, tearing through West Texas headed to Colorado.
Photo from Hammy shows that this time around Kurt has aux. lights, a decent windshield, and even a pair of small saddlebags.

Less CT guys than usual, so I am assuming they are finally getting the word what a stupid concept it is to ruin handling by using a goofy-ass car tire.
Or maybe less Batmen are riding the event. Do capes get in the way of aux. tank overflow lines?

batman-batpod-100318350-m-202182.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be interesting if the IBR staff found a way to weave Isle Royale into the bonus listing, since travel there is via boat or seaplane, and there are no wheeled vehicle (except wheel chairs) permitted - no roads. We shall see...

I'm having fun now watching the three east of Raleigh. I'd say the road to Hatteras is one that is "less traveled", but one of them seems on a parallel road farther south. Perhaps there's an even less traveled destination they're aiming.

It would be interesting if the IBR staff found a way to weave Isle Royale into the bonus listing, since travel there is via boat or seaplane, and there are no wheeled vehicle (except wheel chairs) permitted - no roads. We shall see...

Same with Dry Tortugas I believe. We had fun last rally watching the group conquer Nova Scotia (I think it was) and the ferry times.

And one on the Blue Ridge Parkway NE of Asheville - Maybe Mt. Mitchell or some other off-shoot from the BRP...

And 2 running on or near NC-209; that is a spectacular road if you're interest is in removing chicken strips and peg feelers.

I'm having fun now watching the three east of Raleigh. I'd say the road to Hatteras is one that is "less traveled", but one of them seems on a parallel road farther south. Perhaps there's an even less traveled destination they're aiming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only 6 pages so far in this thread? Well let's fix that....
weirdsmiley.gif

I had several on my Tech Inspection team mention to me that there *seemed* to be fewer number of CT riders than in previous events.

I actually did a count - and they are correct. Less CT guys than usual, so I am assuming they are finally getting the word what a stupid concept it is to ruin handling by using a goofy-ass car tire.

There... that should provide motivation for some energetic discussion.
punk.gif
Fuck yeah!

I am done with car tires, after unexpectedly replacing mine with a motorcycle tire and then riding some curvy roads. That was a stroke of good fortune. Nothing will ruin the handling of a bike like a car tire. People who say they never noticed a difference when they went darkside probably never leaned their bike.

And one on the Blue Ridge Parkway NE of Asheville - Maybe Mt. Mitchell or some other off-shoot from the BRP...

And 2 running on or near NC-209; that is a spectacular road if you're interest is in removing chicken strips and peg feelers.

Yeah, Mt. Mitchell was definitely one of the bonus locations (I've been causing havoc with Google Maps) as was Chimney Rock.

Or Ocracoke.

Only 6 pages so far in this thread? Well let's fix that.... :weirdsmiley: I had several on my Tech Inspection team mention to me that there *seemed* to be fewer number of CT riders than in previous events.

There... that should provide motivation for some energetic discussion. :punk:
Fuck yeah!

I am done with car tires, after unexpectedly replacing mine with a motorcycle tire and then riding some curvy roads. That was a stroke of good fortune. Nothing will ruin the handling of a bike like a car tire. People who say they never noticed a difference when they went darkside probably never leaned their bike.
Apostate...

Status
Not open for further replies.