FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize that probably sounds ridiculous to some, but that's simply what I needed to have happen to be able to put a full effort into this event.
I get it personally after having gotten a three digit number....wouldn't have if it was my first dance. But I also get it for those on a first try. You just will a have an extra-giant bolded "UB" in 2021. ;)

I realize that probably sounds ridiculous to some, but that's simply what I needed to have happen to be able to put a full effort into this event.
I get it personally after having gotten a three digit number....wouldn't have if it was my first dance. But I also get it for those on a first try. You just will a have an extra-giant bolded "UB" in 2021.
wink.png
Totally get that, as Matt well knows from 2007.

Condolences, Dan. Bill's bike was well setup. I suspect that moving a few personal things and the contents of the panniers would have been all that was needed. But those Tens are tall.
On the surface, yes, but in my mind it would be much more than this.

I was struggling very hard with this decision for hours, as Warchild is well aware.

Bottom line -- I couldn't bring myself to borrow another bike in this event. I had to run this IBR on my own bike that I customized - not just borrow a foreign machine, hand the keys back to the rightful owner and wash my hands of it when the IBR was through.

I realize that probably sounds ridiculous to some, but that's simply what I needed to have happen to be able to put a full effort into this event. Plus I knew I'd be worrying & dwelling on my toasted Tenere engine the entire time, and I couldn't possibly give this event the 100% it deserves because of it all.

Thanks for the comments.

Dan
Tough decision all the way around. I wish my bike was in better shape to get you home to the other bike. It wasn't in the shape to make the journey where I wouldn't be worried the whole time. Ultimately the decision to call any ride is in the holder of the ride. I didn't envy the decision you had to make in a very short time. Don't worry, the start for the next IBR is only a short 729 days away :)

its so interesting to watch the groups still heading in the same direction.

a group currently heading through Jackson

many on 24 through Paducah, KY

A group heading toward Indy

a group around Knoxville

than the group heading south toward Key West

Im curious what the solo riders saw and are heading towards. Like the one rider heading towards DC or the 3 heading toward Hatteras. Which by the way one looks to be on a ferry. Ocracoke Lighthouse maybe?

I also noticed there are 2 spots that haven't moved all day any ideas on what is going on with those two?

Last edited by a moderator:
One spot on the "road less traveled" appears to be on the ferry at Cape Hatteras and in the water. Looks like two more on the way, but not sure they will make this boat. Next sailing is 6:15 local time (and the last sailing for the day)

Update two are now in the bay

I don't remember the answer I think I knew the answer to this in 2017 but why are some spots green and most others orange? I thought green meant that they are OK and moving?
Assuming they're running a SPOT unit, orange is the default "bread crumb tracking" mode. Green means they specifically hit an "OK" button. I used it as a "I snagged a bonus, am OK, or something interesting" happened for friends and family on my private feed....which the colors carry over on this aggregate page.

Yellow and red are generally non-desirable to see....and hopefully we won't see them.

There are lighthouses on Okracoke (near Kitty Hawk) and at Ponce Inlet (near New Smyrna Beach), and both are on roads traveled almost exclusively by tourists.

These are the words of a professional rider who knows the correct decision is needed here.

I am bummed this happened, but as I said earlier in this thread: there will be another day for Dan Simmonds.

I realize that probably sounds ridiculous to some, but that's simply what I needed to have happen to be able to put a full effort into this event. Plus I knew I'd be worrying & dwelling on my toasted Tenere engine the entire time, and I couldn't possibly give this event the 100% it deserves because of it all.

its so interesting to watch the groups still heading in the same direction.
a group currently heading through Jackson

many on 24 through Paducah, KY

A group heading toward Indy

a group around Knoxville

than the group heading south toward Key West

Im curious what the solo riders saw and are heading towards. Like the one rider heading towards DC or the 3 heading toward Hatteras. Which by the way one looks to be on a ferry. Ocracoke Lighthouse maybe?

I also noticed there are 2 spots that haven't moved all day any ideas on what is going on with those two?
Thinking the rider in VA may be headed for Skyline Drive.

One spot on the "road less traveled" appears to be on the ferry at Cape Hatteras and in the water. Looks like two more on the way, but not sure they will make this boat. Next sailing is 6:15 local time (and the last sailing for the day)
hope they both make it. The second rider looks to be a bit away for a boat leaving in 10 minutes.

A variety of reasons including rider forgot to turn it to breadcrumb mode (the green one more likely), the battery died, they decided not to start the rally, they disconnected from the group, etc. We'll see more of these happen as the rally progresses....some may be because of dramatic reasons, but most are mundane in my experience.

hope they both make it. The second rider looks to be a bit away for a boat leaving in 10 minutes.
Remember, that Spot feed is not in real time.

Update two are now in the bay
Are you sure? I'm seeing ferries running all evening at https://www.ncdot.gov/travel-maps/ferry-tickets-services/routes/Pages/default.aspx?from=6&to=0
Yep, I must have hit the wrong ferry schedule.

Remember, that Spot feed is not in real time.

Yep, they usually lag about 15 minutes or so.

Only 6 pages so far in this thread? Well let's fix that....
weirdsmiley.gif

I had several on my Tech Inspection team mention to me that there *seemed* to be fewer number of CT riders than in previous events.

I actually did a count - and they are correct. Less CT guys than usual, so I am assuming they are finally getting the word what a stupid concept it is to ruin handling by using a goofy-ass car tire.

There... that should provide motivation for some energetic discussion.
punk.gif
Fuck yeah!

I am done with car tires, after unexpectedly replacing mine with a motorcycle tire and then riding some curvy roads. That was a stroke of good fortune. Nothing will ruin the handling of a bike like a car tire. People who say they never noticed a difference when they went darkside probably never leaned their bike.
Watching you in my mirror on Hwy 20 last summer, I didn't notice your Goldwing on a CT having any trouble keeping up with me. It might have felt like crap, but you were still moving at a pretty decent clip!

Condolences, Dan. Bill's bike was well setup. I suspect that moving a few personal things and the contents of the panniers would have been all that was needed. But those Tens are tall.
On the surface, yes, but in my mind it would be much more than this.

I was struggling very hard with this decision for hours, as Warchild is well aware.

Bottom line -- I couldn't bring myself to borrow another bike in this event. I had to run this IBR on my own bike that I customized - not just borrow a foreign machine, hand the keys back to the rightful owner and wash my hands of it when the IBR was through.

Thanks for the comments.

Dan
I get it. But know that if I, or anyone, loan a fully capable LD bike to a rider in need, it's *understood* the bike will come back home dirty, thrashed, in need of TLC.

On the other hand, doesn't the story-line (not the word I'm looking for) value increase on a bike tarnished with IBR memories and patina?

Provenance!

The two spots still in Greenville are timestamped 6//14, so they aren't from today. I'd guess maybe they're the riders who were asked to change their links because they had been posted on social media - those would be the last pings before the change?

Looks like two are back on land, and the third is on the water. Not much work getting done here LOL!

I don't remember the answer I think I knew the answer to this in 2017 but why are some spots green and most others orange? I thought green meant that they are OK and moving?
Assuming they're running a SPOT unit, orange is the default "bread crumb tracking" mode. Green means they specifically hit an "OK" button. I used it as a "I snagged a bonus, am OK, or something interesting" happened for friends and family on my private feed....which the colors carry over on this aggregate page.

Yellow and red are generally non-desirable to see....and hopefully we won't see them.
Thanks you much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.