FJRForum Official 2021 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, he does, and it is a pace he has maintained for 11 years…
Jim's like a metronome.  Being a recently retired airline pilot I asked him once about his skills and he noted that rallies are three dimensional with x, y, and time.  He said it was easier than flying which four dimensional with x, y, z, and time.

Plus he also has many of the milepost markers memorized in Utah and surrounding states.  He's like a mild-mannered cyborg that smiles and chuckles.

As of 7:06pm central time, looks like a lot of folks are going to be arriving into the penalty window? Fingers crossed everyone makes it before 10pm! 

As of 7:06pm central time, looks like a lot of folks are going to be arriving into the penalty window? Fingers crossed everyone makes it before 10pm! 
There is talk about there being "up to" a 20 minute delay on the SPOTWalla page...and I've seen 5-15 before with one rider I'm tracking that has time stamps.  However, even with 20 minutes delay I would think, generally, outside the circle are going to be challenged to not have penalty points.  There may be two or three of the more extreme outliers that have trouble with making it back before DNF @ 10 pm CDT.

2021-06-27_17-13-06.jpg

Some people think pictures of puppies or kittens is comforting. Others like a hot mug of cocoa or maybe a snapshot of homemade cookies by a Christmas tree. THIS picture makes my heart glow as much as seeing Meemaw by a warm fire covered by an afghan.

2021-06-27_17-31-14.jpg

Some people think pictures of puppies or kittens is comforting. Others like a hot mug of cocoa or maybe a snapshot of homemade cookies by a Christmas tree. THIS picture makes my heart glow as much as seeing Meemaw by a warm fire covered by an afghan.

View attachment 256
This and seeing people step up to help a rider in need.

There is talk about there being "up to" a 20 minute delay on the SPOTWalla page...and I've seen 5-15 before with one rider I'm tracking that has time stamps.  However, even with 20 minutes delay I would think, generally, outside the circle are going to be challenged to not have penalty points.  There may be two or three of the more extreme outliers that have trouble with making it back before DNF @ 10 pm CDT.

View attachment 255
Ok, as of 8:28 CDT, it’s looking better for almost everyone to at least not DNF. One rider showing currently by Ladds, TN who should be able to squeak in. And one rider showing south of Montgomery, who - if he or she is still in it, looks to be in trouble for making it by 10.

From various social media and reports by people at the CP I see a few I know personally who made it without penalty include Jim Owen, Kirsten Talken-Spaulding, Andy Mackey, dude on the Harley Panamerica, Michael Boge (the guy on the two-stroke KTM 300), and Wendy Crockett.

Woop! Now the Montgomery spot has disappeared. Hopefully, it just hadn’t updated for a while for some reason and that rider was actually much closer than it appeared…

Another rider came in...in the penalty window, but smiling.  Chris Comly

And also Mike Brooke came in in the penalty time.  Word is he has some bike maintenance to do.

Wendy Crockett is changing to what I believe may be her fourth rear tire...and I'm sure will be the subject included in another ride report.

Wow, 4th rear tire! Are car tires allowed in the IBR? (I don’t know much about all of this and I’ve seen it mentioned elsewhere, hope this isn’t too controversial of a question! LOL) ETS: Didn’t see it specifically addressed in the rule book.

Woop! Now the Montgomery spot has disappeared. Hopefully, it just hadn’t updated for a while for some reason and that rider was actually much closer than it appeared…
Never saw it come back on.  Last I saw it looked like a DNF.

Never saw it come back on.  Last I saw it looked like a DNF.
Yeah, and that Ladds, TN spot hasn’t moved since I posted. Could it be a spot malfunction? Hopefully not stuck in real life. That rider would have been able make it in time. 

That’ll be an interesting story...

Wow, 4th rear tire! Are car tires allowed in the IBR? (I don’t know much about all of this and I’ve seen it mentioned elsewhere, hope this isn’t too controversial of a question! LOL) ETS: Didn’t see it specifically addressed in the rule book.
Is her rim damaged or slightly bent? Wonder what else would cause that FJR to chew tires up like that.

Wow, 4th rear tire! Are car tires allowed in the IBR?
They're allowed, but likely wouldn't have prevented her from being on the fourth tire even if she wanted to run one...which she doesn't.  As noted in the first report:

Tire 1  = She destroyed a new tire (PR5 I believe) the first day of the rally due to some weird damage event and  barely got a round doughnut to replace it in Idaho.

Tire 2 = Short-lived sport tire that got her only part of the way to CP2.  Some saw a call for help yesterday.

Tire 3 = Lefotover currently running on another FJR rider's non-ABS 2003 that happen to have an ABS-enabled rim on it.  They moved heaven and earth to get it to her.  Still had to swap rotors (2003 are 310mm vs. 320mm for 204 and greater plus a bearing issue for that year in the carrier) This little-life-left-but-enough-tread-to-get-to-CP2 rim/tire in got her to Huntsville.

Tire 4 = A new PR5 on Wendy's spare rim that was planned originally at the CP.

The short version is she's scrambling to stay in this thing and keeping her chin above water...barely.  Wendy is a true competitor. ;)

My bet/hope is she's now on a decent new conventional sport touring tire and will make it to the end of the rally...barring some more bad luck.

I don't think that's the issue.  See my post above that I did shortly after you asked the question.

They're allowed, but likely wouldn't have prevented her from being on the fourth tire even if she wanted to run one...which she doesn't.  As noted in the first report she destroyed a tire the first day of the rally due to some weird damage event and  barely got a round doughnut to replace it in Idaho.  I think she got a short-lived sport tire that got her only part of the way to CP2.

Then she pulled a little-life-left-but-enough-tread-to-get-to-CP2 rim/tire in Illinois yesterday from another FJR rider that moved heaven and earth to get it to her...which ironically came off a non-ABS 2003 FJR that happen to have an ABS-enabled rim...with smaller rotors that had to be swapped.

The short version is she's scrambling to stay in this thing and keeping her chin above water...barely.

My bet is she's on a decent conventional sport touring tire and will make it to the end of the rally barring some bad luck.

Oh, I missed that in the first. Makes more sense now, but holy crap that's not great luck.