FJRForum Official 2023 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, Chicken would have to be worth a big fat ton of points to even be anything other than a sucker bonus.

7 of the '21 IBR top 10 are riding again including all of the top 5. There's also around 6-7 others that have either been top 10 before or have been top 3 in other multi-day rallies. Should be a good one....

@robcig Wendy is not riding

Updates on the reporting page include a report from yesterday and they've turned on tracking for the riders. Don't worry that a couple of dots don't appear exactly at the hotel. They'll presumably update once the rally starts/they turn back on their transmission mode.

About 20 minutes they'll be on their way!

Just watched the Youtube live feed. I am envious of the riders. What a fun adventure, today.

We'll see how much fun it was in11 days.

Now that we are mere minutes away from the start, I feel the need to share this video.

No, not me. I have much better legs.

I rode past him on the interstate at the time and it gave me a 2nd wind late in the afternoon. I saw someone running across an overpass, and my thoughts were....

- that's weird, what is that person doing?
- are those pom poms?
- oh, there's a sign
- OMG, they're cheering for IBR riders 😂

This morning I rode over to Pittsburgh to watch the start. It was pretty cool to see all of the bikes. Several FJRs in the group. 295 miles, and I was home for lunch.

Man, Chicken would have to be worth a big fat ton of points to even be anything other than a sucker bonus.
Not necessarily.

If there are other points that could be added to the bingo card or the "menu", it may be worth it. Or seem worthy, and then seriously demolish one's hopes, aka Sucker.

To a normal rider* this is a fun ride. To someone hoping to win, it has to be a stomach churning endeavor, full of triple and quadruple guessing about the best route.

Twisted MFers.

* I realize there are no normal riders in the IronButt Rally.

I was thinking about riding back out for the finish but once I looked at the cut off time I'm not so sure. If I chose to be there I'd have to ride out Thursday night and get a room nearby in order to be at the Marriot at a decent time. Scoring opens at 5:00 or 5:30 I think and after 8:00 riders are in the penalty zone.

So many people up in Maine this morning (there's likely a big bonus in Bar Harbor) with over 1,800 miles to the checkpoint (with ~36 hours left) and many still intend on taking their rest bonus tonight.

I was shocked to see how many people went for the Manhattan and Coney Island bonuses at around 5 pm yesterday.