FJRForum Official 2023 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the point minimum to be a finisher?
I vaguely remember a target point range shared for an earlier leg in a report...or maybe an FB comment of somebody at the CP. Regardless, they haven't shared minimum points for the rally. After the banquet they'll post the results and the cut line will manifest.

As is likely seen my overabundance of posts, I love this stuff.

I hope to someday compete in one, however remote the possibilities may be.

Armchair rallies are more my style, a lot more air conditioning involved that way.

What time is the banquet over and the results will be made public? Thanks for the help?!

Quite an improvement- looks like there was only two mechanical DNFs, of course one was a BMW final drive. Some pretty heroic mechanical repairs and lotsa tires and rims destroyed by road shrapnel though!

I vaguely remember a target point range shared for an earlier leg in a report...or maybe an FB comment of somebody at the CP. Regardless, they haven't shared minimum points for the rally. After the banquet they'll post the results and the cut line will manifest.
It looks like somewhere between 77,000 and 80,000 was the minimum to finish.

94 finishers with 13 DNF is a pretty successful field. Usually around 2/3 to 3/4 are finishers...this percentage is much higher.

A rider told me last night it was 80,000 pts to finish, they were almost there after the second leg.

Steve Giffin went from 3rd in the standings after leg #2, to DNF? Anyone hear what caused the DNF? IBR was posting mechanical issues for folks, but no mention yet about this Yamaha rider?

Steve Giffin went from 3rd in the standings after leg #2, to DNF? Anyone hear what caused the DNF? IBR was posting mechanical issues for folks, but no mention yet about this Yamaha rider?
That's a good question. If I'm reading the mileage data correctly, he ended Leg 2 with the same total mileage as he finished the entire Rally with. So he either didn't ride at all in the 3rd leg, or something else happened?