FJR's in the Green Mountains

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snikr

Reaction score
After much waiting a few of the FJR riders here got together and rode the Green Mountains of Vermont. Van Harlan, road runner, The Axeman, FJRed, 08FJR4ME and his wife, Fred W and his wife (sorry but I'm BAD with names!) and myself went.

P8230046.jpg

We rode from West Lebenon, NH up RT 14 to RT 107 to RT12 then over Bethel Mountain, over Brandon Gap up and over the APp Gap and finally up through Smugglers Notch before heading back to West Leb. All in all I put on 375 miles.

P8230047.jpg

P8230048.jpg

Along the way we stopped for lunch at Gracie's in Stowe (Thanks FJRed).

P8230050.jpg

All in all everyone had a GREAT day! I'd like to thank Nice Rumble for starting this idea, FJRed for picking a GREAT place to eat and help me with the route planning. Road runner wants us to do this again next year.

Only problem we had was trying to teach a BMW rider how to park when we got back to the motel.

P8230052.jpg

I hope the others will post some of the photos they took and that they have a safe ride home tomorrow.

Tom

Only problem we had was trying to teach a BMW rider how to park when we got back to the motel.
P8230052.jpg

I hope the others will post some of the photos they took and that they have a safe ride home tomorrow.

Tom
LOL

that is funny.

glad you enjoyed your trip.

Great ride you all had! Perfect day for it,glad to see the FJR people getting together for a good ride and good company!

P.S. that other brand may have been hiding behind that woodpile from those 300+ mile's you guy's just did!! LOL

Looks like a great ride along with some of the best weather all summer. You guys know how to pick your days. The view from the top of RT 17 is always good. Seven riders (9 with SO's) is a decent turnout and a couple of riders (VH and RR) rode some distance to get here. Good on you guys. Nothing better than riding the Green Mountains in summer. Sorry I missed it. I was thinking of you guys though.

Perhaps the Beemer owner was hoping his final drive would set light to the woodpile and total his bike, so he could get a Feej with the payout?

I've heard nothing but great things about the roads and scenery up that way, and need to schedule to try them out myself.

Nice report.

I'm glad you all had such a nice day for your ride, I'm looking forward to seeing the pixs. I like your wheels FJRed!

This is the group ride I've wanted to be part of all summer but life sometimes gets in the way of other plans.

Hi Gang,

First of all thanks Tom and Ed for all your time and effort in putting this together.

I had a great time riding the Vermont roads. Smugglers Notch was neat. To see the road wind around a giant rock was cool. Sorry no pics. Maybe Snikr or FJRed have pics they can post for all to see.

It was especially nice to meet all of you and make new friends. :) I would like to do it again next year. Hopefully next year I can bring my GF, she would have liked this ride.

We had great weather all weekend, had a very nice ride, and made new friends. That is what it's all about.

I hope everyone gets home safe. Especially Van Harlan and Axeman, because they have to go the farthest. Van harlan is due home at 5:00 tonight and Axeman was going to tour some more today and arrive home tomorrow.

Ride Safe; Art

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you all had a good ride. This was without a doubt THE best weekend of the summer weather wise. I had been watching this thread but knew I had to work today. So here I sit unable to view the pics due to the "work web natzi's".

Looking forward to the next one.

We Got back around 3:00, Took the route through Boston traffic. It started backing up after boston with heavy traffic. We got off 3 exits down on route three and took the backroads the rest of the way to get home.

Had a great weekend riding with other FJR owners. It was nice meeting everyone and i hope to get together again. Thanks again to those who put this ride together. I have downloaded the pic's to my computer and will either email them to tom or try and do a post.

We Got back around 3:00, Took the route through Boston traffic. It started backing up after boston with heavy traffic. We got off 3 exits down on route three and took the backroads the rest of the way to get home.Had a great weekend riding with other FJR owners. It was nice meeting everyone and i hope to get together again. Thanks again to those who put this ride together. I have downloaded the pic's to my computer and will either email them to tom or try and do a post.
Dave,
Glad to hear you and your wife made it home O.K.

It was nice meeting you also. I hope we will ride together again, because we never did figure out which FJR is faster. The Black or the Black Cherry. I still say the Black Cheery of course. :yahoo:

Ride Safe & See ya soon; Art

Have to chime in and reconfirm the weekend was one of the best of a very wet summer in VT. The rt17 notch ride is in the "backyard" for me and part of my regular after work ride, I usually go west to east then head north on 100/100B to Middlesex. 100B has some nice long curves that are a lot of fun if you catch an open road.

I would also suggest to anyone passing thru further north that 207/105 from Highgate to Jay is a nice ride, lots of small farms etc, half decent roads (105 is a little rough), very little traffic. Pretty easy navigation too, most left turns simply say Canada!

Glad everyone had a good time and got home ok, we do have some nice riding up here, between upstate NY, VT and NH. Just have to find a good set of studded tires for the winter.

Hey gang,

Just need to add that Joann and I had a "wicked good" time this weekend. It was great fun meeting all of you and putting faces (and real names) with the screen names.

Special thanks to Snikr and FJRed for the org work and leading the parade. What a great ride, fantastic scenery, and a great bunch of folks. It was kind of fun to observe (from the back) how the group rode more in unison as the day progressed. I also want to say again that having 7 bikes was about the perfect number for a group ride. Any more and it would start to become a chore to keep from getting splintered, and there is no need to make a group ride into work.

The weather really could not have been much better. It started out a bit iffy for us with the interstate ride Saturday AM up from Manchester to Lebanon through some seriously thick fog. But that burned off nicely once we got on the road across the river into VT. and then things started to heat up by early afternoon.

For anyone reading along that has not ridden in Vermont, it is highly recommended. I've always felt they have about the best roads in New England. Even burning up a tank and a half of gas on Saturday we barely scratched the surface of the fantastic riding there is to be had.

Incredibly, the weather on Sunday morning was even better that Saturday had been. I really love living in this area in late summer and fall. ;) After a quick breakfast, Joann and I jumped back on the bike and took the long way home, running north through Dartmouth College and up on Rt 10 for a while on the NH side of the Connecticut river (it parallels VT Rt 5 that we rode down on Saturday afternoon) then shot across 25A through the lower edge of the white mountains, looped to the west of Concord and back home by around 1PM.

Sorry we have no worthwhile pics to add to the thread.

PS - I hope Axeman made it back home OK last night. He called the house yesterday afternoon (when I left already) and left a message that he was having some Feejer problems somewhere in MA. I think it was the ignition switch again? When I called his cell phone back there was no answer so hopefully that means he jumpered the right wires together and was back on his way. I guess all the '06 owners should find and print out the instructions for hot wiring their bikes and carry them along with them as this is the 2nd time for Axe's bike, so apparently the fix is not a permanent one.

Well let's see if i did this right? Here is a link to more pic's. If someone would like to show me how to post on the forum let me know.
Thanks, (Great day, Great ride, thanks to all)

https://community.webshots.com/album/565591237uQITNi

Wow!! Dave, tell your wife she did an awesome job of snapping the pics along the way. Maybe she can give my wife some pointers, as Joann doesn't like messing with the camera on the road and a lot of those shots came out great!!

For posting up your pics from the webshots web site (or most any other image hosting website) directly into a thread do this:

Go to the Webshots site and display one of the pictures. Scroll down on the right side is a "Link to this picture" section. Select the size you want to post (I usually go with the largest, 600) and then copy the middle line titled "direct link to image".

Now when composing your forum post you can click on the little insert image icon in the toolbar and then paste the copied line from Webshots. Badda boom, badda bing!! That's all there is to it.

Racked up 1,029 total miles round trip. The weather got up to a balmy 94 degrees on the NY Thruway yesterday as I passed through Syracuse. I did manage to dodge any threat of rain and made it home dry. I wasn't home more than 20 minutes before the the rain started to fall - but even that didn't last long and I had the Feej safely put away by then.

Dave - great photos - your wife did an awesome job shooting on the go.

Absolutley awesome ride - great scenery and accomodations - thanks again Tom & Ed for leading the way. Smugglers Notch was a kicker!

I've already searched through the internet and found a PCIII for the same price as the group buy so that will be on it's way shortly.

Hopefully I'll be able to make the New Hampshire ride this fall and see some of you again.

Art thanks again for leading the way around Lake George and into Vermont +1000 Bro!

Now - back to work . . . . . .

VH

Thanks for all the kind word group. And thanks to FJRed for all his help as well. It was fun being at the back of the group and seeing how well we rode together. I had a GREAT time and the group was a good group to ride with. I hope Axeman made it home OK. If anyone hears form him be sure to post up and let everyone know he made it. I have not looked at most of the photos Dave posted cause I had a LONG day Sunday (the Journey concert was AWSOME!) but I will get to it tomorrow. Have to do the work thing here in a bit. Have to pay for the new PR2's that will be going on hopefully this week (or I'll be down to cords).

And so you'll all know, I would not mind doing this again next year. But it'll be a different route and maybe a different time during the summer. This time I'll get my wife to go as well.

Tom