FJRTom's Farkled 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking bike and the quality of the work was done well. Now go put some miles on it.

That's a clever idea that would leave the bike cleaner in appearance. However, since I am switching the antenna between the bike and the plane, I think I have to leave it more exposed, right? I presume you must remove some of the panels to get to yours, or am I wrong? Thanks.
Hey Tom...I mounted my GXM30 under the passenger seat too...it's held on by one of those rubber straps under there. All you need to do is remove the passenger seat to get at it. Reception's fine, even with a passenger. I switch the zumo between my FJR and other bikes, and this works well. You'll need to run an extension cable from the zumo to the tail section, so that you can unplug the GXM30 as needed without taking off panels to un-route to the cable:

gxm30.jpg

Tom, The bike looks great! I have the same Zumo and Garmin XM antenna on my bike as well. I was able to put the antenna under the fairing just behind the glove box on the left hand side. Reception is just as good and it stays out of sight. Let me know if you need any more details.

That's a clever idea that would leave the bike cleaner in appearance. However, since I am switching the antenna between the bike and the plane, I think I have to leave it more exposed, right? I presume you must remove some of the panels to get to yours, or am I wrong? Thanks.

Ya Tom, I had to remove some of the left side panels to install it but I have never taken it out since I put it in. If I used the XM in my plane I would probably get in a little trouble :rolleyes: with the company. LOL

And I didn't want to come across that it looked bad where it is, my concern is that if it was mine that someone might try to steal it. The under the seat option looks like it would work too if you had an extension cord.

I have just purchased a set of motolights but being a bit of an electrical idiot I have a question about the installation.Did you connect the red wire to the green/blue wire on the blue connector under the panel and then the ground (black wire) from the lights to the battery? Any information you could give would be very helpfull.Thanks

I have just purchased a set of motolights but being a bit of an electrical idiot I have a question about the installation.Did you connect the red wire to the green/blue wire on the blue connector under the panel and then the ground (black wire) from the lights to the battery? Any information you could give would be very helpfull.Thanks
Sorry, but it's been so long ago that I don't remember! I basically followed the easy instructions and all worked well. Oh, one hint: Take the switch thing they send apart and inside is a smaller switch that fit well on the removable piece on the left side fairing near the glove box.

Having completed this year the Four Corners Tour, the Three Flags Classic, and 18 of the 24 California National Parks, I now have 23,147 miles on the bike I picked up December 8. What a great ride! BTW, that initial problem I had with stalling out when starting out in first gear...I think much of it was the idle being set too low as delivered. I had tried to set it higher before, but the slack/springiness in the mechanism frustrated my attempts. Finally loosened the right side fairing enough to get my hand on it good, and screwed it up to the recommended 1,100 RPM. No problem now.

Woo-hoo! Congrats on all the great rides Tom! Sounds like you have had your fun.

You need to join us on a local ride one of these days. Check the southwest section.

tom

You can put the fm antena under the rear seat. It fits and works very well one up. Two up fades in and out a bit

I really like the mod where you turn the center nut of your handlebars into usable space (in this case a GPS unit mount). Is there a name for this? Maybe a search hint?

I am wary of searching for "Nut modifications" with this crowd! :crazy:

I really like the mod where you turn the center nut of your handlebars into usable space (in this case a GPS unit mount). Is there a name for this? Maybe a search hint?
I am wary of searching for "Nut modifications" with this crowd! :crazy:
It's the Tourtech mount.

I have my GXM radio under the rear seat behind the lights. It works, even when I have the Yamaha top box with my laptop in it.

Makes for a cleaner look up front.