Flaming Gorge route question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
Not sure where Wyoming questions should be so here goes.

I'll be dropping down from Rock Springs to Vernal. Which side of the gorge is the preferred motorcycle ride?

That's a trick question. I really do enjoy both sides for various reasons, but if you're heading to Vernal and you have just wee bit of extra time, I'd haul ass down 191 from Rock Springs to the south side of the gorge, then run 44 along the southern and southwestern sides of the gorge to Manila. Turn around in Manila and ride 44 back to 191, take a right and head to Vernal. This route, IMO, gives you the best of the gorge and you get to do some of it twice. :)

That's a trick question. I really do enjoy both sides for various reasons, but if you're heading to Vernal and you have just wee bit of extra time, I'd haul ass down 191 from Rock Springs to the south side of the gorge, then run 44 along the southern and southwestern sides of the gorge to Manila. Turn around in Manila and ride 44 back to 191, take a right and head to Vernal. This route, IMO, gives you the best of the gorge and you get to do some of it twice. :)
Nankoweap said it all! Good advice...spot on

And pay attention to your speed, those young rangers will ticket you
fool.gif
. Or at least that's what I have heard ....
rolleyes.gif

191 is excellent as soon as you're off I-80. If you're far enough into hunting season may not be a problem, but last time I rode 191 I left Rock Springs early in the morning and must have passed 50 deer standing right along the side of the road. Here's a shot of 191...

DSCF0630.jpg

And pay attention to your speed, those young rangers will ticket you
fool.gif
. Or at least that's what I have heard ....
rolleyes.gif
Young punk rangers :(

191 is excellent as soon as you're off I-80. If you're far enough into hunting season may not be a problem, but last time I rode 191 I left Rock Springs early in the morning and must have passed 50 deer standing right along the side of the road. Here's a shot of 191...
DSCF0630.jpg
At least they can't hide in many places.

Highway 44 south of Manila (2007)
FlamingGorge0152_zps7af080e6.jpg
Looks good, nice fuel reserve ;)

Memories, memories. 6 years ago this month.

I did a similar trip on my FZ1, with two BMW companions. In heavy wind in Rain. (30-40+ mph crosswinds) and Early in the morning, a rural mountain pass (forgot which one) had a layer of ice and snow, but only on the sections that saw no sun. Boy that was FUN..

Grand Junction to Rock Springs ,where we actually toyed with throwing the bikes in a Uhaul, the weather was so bad. We persevered, and headed all the way to Thermopolis WY to soak in the hot springs. Well worth it. Wind River Canyon was beautiful an hour before sunset, no cars (or cops) on the road.

In the end - all the heartache of treacherous weather riding was WELL WORTH IT. (I think I was leaned over to the left at @ 45degree angle for HOURS at time)

That was THE trip that made me trade in the FZ for the FJR.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Grand+Junction,+CO&daddr=Rock+Springs,+WY+to:Wind+River+Canyon,+Fremont,+WY+to:Thermopolis,+WY&hl=en&sll=42.463993,-109.522705&sspn=2.342213,5.795288&geocode=FT4RVAIdB6aH-SlXcOci49ZGhzFWfL_OUfRjzA%3BFQiTegIdKLJ9-SkZi8L16FhahzFwNzAngf4lBw%3BFY6GjQIdk9aE-SlPTUuBwgFZhzEW3HQ6XbtoyA%3BFXP8mQIdtdCM-SnVaiXVzKhMUzGuAw4WabtjYQ&oq=rawlin&t=h&mra=pr&z=8

Last edited by a moderator: