Florida boy headin' for Arizona

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyahouse

newbs need the forum
Reaction score
Finally waited out them storms bombing Omaha and I'm heading west in a few minutes. Gonna pass through Colorado Springs tonight and heading for the Grand Canyon tomorrow (Tuesday the 25th).. After that I'm headed for Arizona. Any of you Arizona guys wanna meet up? I've got an open schedule for Thurs and Fri before I attempt a 50cc IBA ride from San Diego to St Augustine Florida perhaps this weekend. I'm thinking I'd like to see the Hoover Dam and that amazing Arizona meteor crater. Skooter G recommended Monument Valley, and maybe 89A, but I could use some local guidance as that rascal is semi permanently outa town right now. I'll be back online tonight and see what turns up from the forum. Below I threw in a pic of me an daughter Kath, but unfortunately she couldn't make this trip.

CIMG0803.jpg

--A long way from home--

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Bring your electrolytes!

My bride spoke with her sister in the PHX area this morning and the forecast for this weekend is... 116*!

In fact my mother in law is flying out on Wednesday for a stay here on the cool Left Coast.

I have a commitment on Saturday morning at o-dark thirty, but if you are planning on leaving Sandy Eggo on Friday P.M., I'd enjoy riding down to see you off! Or Sat/Sun PM.

Drop me a PM if that sounds okay with you.

Have a great time Gary, sounds like some real nice plans. Wish you the best weather and great roads to take you to magical places.

The 50cc isn't much for scenery, but it is a good accomplishment.

I'm at the campground near Pike's Peak now and just checking in on this thread. Looks like nobody's been online today. Maybe tomorrow will turn out a little better. I'm needing some advice on making my 50cc ride. My first thoughts would be to just head for Dan Diego and punch up Saint Augustine on the GPS and follow it home. It will automatically take me the fastest route. Any thoughts on that?

Gary

darksider #44

Gary, I agree with SkooterG about Monument Valley. If you can, get a room at the Valley View Hotel in Monument Valley. Sunset seen from that balcony view will leave you speechless. Meteor Crater is nice, for about 20 minutes. It is worth seeing, but it is kinda out of the way. If you can possibly do it, just east of Page AZ right next to the Power Plant (You can see the stacks for miles) visit Antelope Canyon. Preferably, "Lower Antelope" which is on the north side of the highway. This slot canyon tour is in my mind a "must do". I can truly say that with all that Arizona has to offer, Monument Valley and Lower Antelope Canyon were the highlights for me.

Wow - Garyahouse! A 50CC ride in your grill and your still making plans. I would be making plans for days - that's why I'm a noob.

I had the opportunity to speak with Gary on the phone tonight - looking forward to meeting him here on Friday.

Gary left my house about 30 minutes later than he planned. He sent me a PM yesterday and hung out here last night. Got a home cooked meal, a soft bed and some decent time off the road.

He looked a little worn. He left Florida without his cooling vest and nothing but a convenience store cup in a cup holder for hydration. He learned that Southwestern heat turns cups of ice water into cups of warm water in 45 minutes or less. Not good for full days in the saddle.

So we got him hooked up with a 100oz CamelBak and some cold water. Leaving by 0600 should have helped with the heat. He's headed for Winslow and then Hoover Dam and Vegas. He'll have a good day and some great views today.

Hope we made his ride better!

Well ya know Gary is a Michigan transplant... We don't know anything about dry heat.

Beemerdons spent sunday in the pool here. 92 degress but 85% Humidity. It wasn'r too bad as we've been dealing with it for a couple weeeks (humidity) But he said he didn't know how we could stnad it. LOL

Oh Yer still a DICK.

Gary should be arriving here in a bit.

He left a message at 1400 saying that his GPS gave an ETA of 1605. I don't think his GPS knows about Friday afternoon traffic on the I-5 .

Gary, be glad you're not home, the heavens are emptying their spittoons all at once!

Gary called from the road about 30 minutes ago. He's passed Las Cruces, NM and on his way to El Paso, TX.

He spent the night here last night and we we up at 0330. He says he started the clock on his 50CC attempt at 0555 (in San Diego). His first fuel stop was Yuma, AZ (high temp today:113), fueled in Casa Grande (high;118), and Lordsburg ("0nly" 102).

He's toying with the idea of aiming for San Antonio before getting a few hours of sleep....

I just called Gary. He's just past Houston, about 250 miles from Baton Rouge.

He found a motel about 2130 and was back on the road about 0330, after sleep, shower, food and fuel.

His fuel economy was down to about 30 mpg and his reserve light came on at 170 - with his Garmin indicating the next gas ahead was 50 miles. So he took a detour to a town 12 miles from the interstate, which cost him about 30 minutes.

He's in good spirits, and encouraged that the Garmin says he's 12.5 hours from the Atlantic, with about 18 hours left on the clock. With fuel & food stops, and sleep when needed, he's still within range.

Looking forward to hearing from him tomorrow morning - he has until 1055 hrs Jacksonville time to punch out.

Go, Gary!

At 1900 Eastern Gary was about 20 miles from Lafayette, LA and was planning on riding until about 2200. That should put him near Slidell, LA or Gulfport, MS for the evening. According to GMaps from Slidell he would have 8 hours in the saddle or from Gulfport just a little over 7 hours. He needs to be in Jacksonville Beach no later than 1055 tomorrow. With losing an hour for the time change it is going to be close unless he is back on the road very early. Hoping you can make it happen!

Dave

Go Gary! If you don't make it you will have forfeited your excuse for not stopping here on your way home. Seems like a lot of crap to go through just to avoid meeting me...

I've attempted to call Gary numerous times since noon but I only get a "busy signal".

I hope that means he's sleeping soundly after a safe and successful 50CC.

Waiting for an update, here or on the LDRider/IBA section.